Major east coast pipeline shut down by hackers

Towgunner

Kingfisher
So, I guess this whole pipeline thing has been solved and the pipeline is running. However, I heard the people behind this hack were paid off.

This is bad. First, that a major part of our infrastructure can be hacked and compromised is not good, because, this will happen again. Second, I understand this situation is different in that it was against a company and not our government, but, once upon a time, it was cliche to hear that we never negotiated, much less settled with terrorists. I think you can make the case that this was terrorism. After all, this was a major part of our infrastructure. What does this say to all the hackers around the world? This whole thing was an unmitigated success and the hackers, whoever they are, got what they wanted.

This is the sort of thing we can expect from our effeminate "woke" society.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Basically 3 part issue as I understand it after talking with others in the know on this from a financial side.

1 computers regulating flow of oil/gas
2 tracking flow/billing customers for flow
3 running security checks post fix to verify no more malware/bugs in system

Issue 1 could have been done manually, issue 3 takes time so a business decisions were made that it was better to shut off all flow until issue 2 was rectified...

You can recoup the oil ransom cost. You might not recoup the unbilled/tracked product.

So here we are.

Easy_C

Peacock
So, I guess this whole pipeline thing has been solved and the pipeline is running. However, I heard the people behind this hack were paid off.

This is bad. First, that a major part of our infrastructure can be hacked and compromised is not good, because, this will happen again. Second, I understand this situation is different in that it was against a company and not our government, but, once upon a time, it was cliche to hear that we never negotiated, much less settled with terrorists. I think you can make the case that this was terrorism. After all, this was a major part of our infrastructure. What does this say to all the hackers around the world? This whole thing was an unmitigated success and the hackers, whoever they are, got what they wanted.

This is the sort of thing we can expect from our effeminate "woke" society.

I agree. Even if the psyop crowd is correct, which they could be, giving off a public appearance of just caving is inviting more of this.

budoslavic

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
E1SMdWbXIAAsDqX

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
This is such a massive clown event I dont know where to begin.

It fits perfectly in line with the cyber polygon event and can be used as more propaganda to support whatever it is that is coming. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it either.

Remember Pakistan and Mexico? Texas?

If they do conduct some sort of attack on information and IT systems that would make entire countries go dark for days on end what the hell do you do except keep an eye out for trouble and ensure you have clean water and food.

The level of absolute panic in the populace would consume their respective countries. Itll be great to cover their tracks though. Bring in a new monetary system and a new level of control.

Gradient

Kingfisher
Let's not forget that the "CyberPandemic" is spread almost entirely due to the colossal, insatiable stupidity of end users. Many will mindlessly open any attachment, or follow any link, especially if they believe that they are going to get something for free.

Two days ago, an idiot in my company walked around to my office and asked me to help him enable macros in Excel so that he could read an attachment in an email. Turns out that the step by step instructions that came in the email, were too difficult for him to follow or he didn't read them. (Thank goodness.)

"Say, Bob... Did you notice that email comes from Brazil?"
"duuhhhhh....uh......"
"Did you order something from Brazil that would need to come via DHL?"
"duuhhhhhh.... What's DHL?"

To solve 99% of security issues with networks, simply prohibit end users from using computers. I can dream, can't I?

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
To be fair to end users, what could be blamed on them could easily be a built in backdoor the secret services made the chip makers install for their access use.

Your security means jack if someone with the right NSA/Mossad tools can slip right in and create chaos without being seen.

skullmask

Woodpecker
A friend of mine who works there told me that he was begging them to upgrade from Windows 7 and install an anti-virus just last week, but no one could be bothered to listen.
There's lots of programs out there that break when you update from Windows 7 to 10. I've seen the update brick several maintenance laptops where I work. As bad as windows is, I doubt had they updated it would have saved them anyways.

The biggest security risk is the people who use computers. A lot of these hacks start when some dufus falls for a phishing attack.

Gradient

Kingfisher
Meat producer jbs hit with ransom ware attack, we knew this was not a one time attack

And let's understand something here -

Malone said the disruption could further raise meat prices ahead of summer barbecues. Even before the attack, U.S. meat prices were rising due to coronavirus shutdowns, bad weather and high plant absenteeism. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has said it expects beef prices to climb 1% to 2% this year, poultry as much as 1.5% and pork between by from 2% and 3%.

This absolute charade is about hiding massive inflation behind magical "Russian" hackers, and a magical virus. There is not one single politician in America that should win a primary, much less a general election. In a sane world, they would all be dragged from their offices in chains.

And let's understand something here -

This absolute charade is about hiding massive inflation behind magical "Russian" hackers, and a magical virus. There is not one single politician in America that should win a primary, much less a general election. In a sane world, they would all be dragged from their offices in chains.

Massive!!!!! inflation of...checks notes...1% to 2%. Give me a break. Please stop repeating what you hear on the news or at least think about what you're writing.

Meat producer jbs hit with ransom ware attack, we knew this was not a one time attack

We have a couple of threads like the Covid shortage or Great Reset threads but none of them are shortages due to...the decline. Maybe mods can change the name of the Covid one or we should start a new one.