Making more $ than you can spend....?

samsamsam

Peacock
Gold Member
I would be cautious of hubris. Of believing you can't do anything wrong. Been there done that. Even those most level headed can get caught up with it.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
Rawmeo said:
The advice is mainly related to specific fields such as stocks and other specific business ventures. I also got some motivational shit, but IMO, motivational shit should be reserved to beginners.

Most people who begin in the business domain will need to learn about motivation in order to be able to push harder, not give up, and all the stuff we ever heard. But the old dogs in the business area don't need that, as it's just a part of their personality. Once you can get in the proper mindset, things tend to get smoother.
Whats your background story? You went to Bangkok 3 years ago as a customer service rep. Now you have a $300,000 car in Bangkok. Without context it doesn't make a lot of sense. Vague stuff like buying stocks and great investments read like what I told people when I was younger and they asked how I had certain possessions, how I could fly away on weekend trips regularly etc. despite having a trust fund.

Based on your posts you are early 20s. Which means you hit it large out of left field not someone who gradually grew a business or property empire. I have to be honest and say from reading your posts it sounds like you had a large windfall (i.e. inheritance, lottery, poker tournament victory) as opposed to someone who built an exceptionally lucrative business. There is nothing wrong with this.

I think one eyed jack said it best in one of his past posts...

"Unless you win the lottery or inherited the money, the only way to have the liquidity to buy a supercar is through long hard work (theres also graft and corruption but thats another thread). If you want a world class career with world class income, then you will have to invest the time and effort. It takes many many years to build a business that can generates excess cash flow to buy anything you desire."

I can go buy a new lamborghini or ferrari tomorrow but I wouldn't personally feel comfortable discussing on the topic "making more $ than you can spend" as while I net 6 figures from my business I don't make the kind of money I can't spend and I certainly wouldn't consider buying a supercar.

The people who make this type of the money on the forum are almost all going to be 40+ guys like Tokyo Joe, Gringuito, anonymous. Not early 20's guys that make their money "entirely online" in Bangkok. I don't doubt you have what you say you have. I just doubt the source.

After the whole Nasa debacle, mcqueen etc. I think people need to step up when they doubt things.

With that said I have really liked your posts in relation to Thailand wife hunting and how to getaway with cheating.

I'll probably get hated for this post but I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one who thinks this.

pitt

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I totally understand you lavidaloca but he probably doesn't want to disclose how he made this money and he doesn't have to.

Rawmeo

Pelican
Gold Member
I understand your point of view, lavidaloca. If you want to know more you can drop me a PM, nothing secret there, but we all value our privacy on a public forum.

skptc

Sparrow
I know Rawmeo's story and it is atleast plausible... I won't go into much detail but, according to him, he speculated on a particular asset at the right time...

jake1720

Woodpecker
skptc said:
I know Rawmeo's story and it is atleast plausible... I won't go into much detail but, according to him, he speculated on a particular asset at the right time...
Entire life savings in $DWTI in late 2014. Only thing I can think of.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
jake1720 said:
skptc said:

Yea but even doing that if you sold at the peak (which very short lived and bought at the very bottom) is only worth about 14x your money. A guy in his early 20s probably isn't even going to have 50k or 100k to invest and even investing that amount at those time periods is not going to give you money for life. After taxes you might squeak into millionaire status.

You'd have to invest hundreds of thousands to get money for life out of that transaction if that's the transaction that occurred.

I wouldn't consider having a million dollars to be of the money for life variety. Guys with only 1 million dollars aren't going and buying $300,000 sports cars either. That kind of purchase is going to typically for guys spending less than 5-10% of their wealth.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
lavidaloca said:
jake1720 said:
skptc said:

Yea but even doing that if you sold at the peak (which very short lived and bought at the very bottom) is only worth about 14x your money. A guy in his early 20s probably isn't even going to have 50k or 100k to invest and even investing that amount at those time periods is not going to give you money for life. After taxes you might squeak into millionaire status.

You'd have to invest hundreds of thousands to get money for life out of that transaction if that's the transaction that occurred.

I wouldn't consider having a million dollars to be of the money for life variety. Guys with only 1 million dollars aren't going and buying $300,000 sports cars either. That kind of purchase is going to typically for guys spending less than 5-10% of their wealth.

Oneeyedjack

Pigeon
Gold Member
Quote from an Investment Management Report that might be relevant:

"The Upper Half of the Top 1%

Membership in this elite group is likely to come from being involved in some aspect of the financial services or banking industry, real estate development involved with those industries, or government contracting. Some hard working and clever physicians and attorneys can acquire as much as $15M-$20M before retirement but they are rare. Those in the top 0.5% have incomes over $500k if working and a net worth over $1.8M if retired. The higher we go up into the top 0.5% the more likely it is that their wealth is in some way tied to the investment industry and borrowed money than from personally selling goods or services or labor as do most in the bottom 99.5%. They are much more likely to have built their net worth from stock options and capital gains in stocks and real estate and private business sales, not from income which is taxed at a much higher rate. These opportunities are largely unavailable to the bottom 99.5%."

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
Oneeyedjack said:

Membership in this elite group is likely to come from being involved in some aspect of the financial services or banking industry, real estate development involved with those industries, or government contracting. Some hard working and clever physicians and attorneys can acquire as much as $15M-$20M before retirement but they are rare. Those in the top 0.5% have incomes over $500k if working and a net worth over $1.8M if retired. The higher we go up into the top 0.5% the more likely it is that their wealth is in some way tied to the investment industry and borrowed money than from personally selling goods or services or labor as do most in the bottom 99.5%. They are much more likely to have built their net worth from stock options and capital gains in stocks and real estate and private business sales, not from income which is taxed at a much higher rate. These opportunities are largely unavailable to the bottom 99.5%."
To me the biggest key from that besides obviously making a high income is...

"their wealth is in some way tied to the investment industry and borrowed money than from personally selling goods or services or labor"

Leverage.

lavidaloca said:
Oneeyedjack said:

To me the biggest key from that besides obviously making a high income is...

"their wealth is in some way tied to the investment industry and borrowed money than from personally selling goods or services or labor"

Leverage.
Indeed.

But one should not forget that leverage is a two sided sword, if you are on the wrong side of the trade you'll witness how your net worth diminishes very fast.

It is best to use leverage in moderation, it is just like cocaine.. Too much will kill you.

Rawmeo said:
The first thing you should do is, back your ass, as having tons of cash will attract the wrong people.

---

I feel like I have no more sympathy for less successful people, and less tolerance for people who complain about their fate, as I worked my ass off to change my fate. I also realize that being poor is surviving rather than living.

About future expectations, you should expect to life a very healthy and pleasant lifestyle if you continue that way.
Well said.

MongolianAbroad

Ostrich
Gold Member
JackinMelbourne said:
Rawmeo said:
The first thing you should do is, back your ass, as having tons of cash will attract the wrong people.

---

I feel like I have no more sympathy for less successful people, and less tolerance for people who complain about their fate, as I worked my ass off to change my fate. I also realize that being poor is surviving rather than living.

About future expectations, you should expect to life a very healthy and pleasant lifestyle if you continue that way.
Well said.
That post (Rawmeo's) didn't age well.

RAWmentic

Whats your background story? You went to Bangkok 3 years ago as a customer service rep. Now you have a $300,000 car in Bangkok. Without context it doesn't make a lot of sense. Vague stuff like buying stocks and great investments read like what I told people when I was younger and they asked how I had certain possessions, how I could fly away on weekend trips regularly etc. despite having a trust fund.

Based on your posts you are early 20s. Which means you hit it large out of left field not someone who gradually grew a business or property empire. I have to be honest and say from reading your posts it sounds like you had a large windfall (i.e. inheritance, lottery, poker tournament victory) as opposed to someone who built an exceptionally lucrative business. There is nothing wrong with this.

I think one eyed jack said it best in one of his past posts...

"Unless you win the lottery or inherited the money, the only way to have the liquidity to buy a supercar is through long hard work (theres also graft and corruption but thats another thread). If you want a world class career with world class income, then you will have to invest the time and effort. It takes many many years to build a business that can generates excess cash flow to buy anything you desire."

I can go buy a new lamborghini or ferrari tomorrow but I wouldn't personally feel comfortable discussing on the topic "making more $ than you can spend" as while I net 6 figures from my business I don't make the kind of money I can't spend and I certainly wouldn't consider buying a supercar.

The people who make this type of the money on the forum are almost all going to be 40+ guys like Tokyo Joe, Gringuito, anonymous. Not early 20's guys that make their money "entirely online" in Bangkok. I don't doubt you have what you say you have. I just doubt the source.

After the whole Nasa debacle, mcqueen etc. I think people need to step up when they doubt things.

With that said I have really liked your posts in relation to Thailand wife hunting and how to getaway with cheating.

I'll probably get hated for this post but I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one who thinks this.