Marijuana

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Thanks to rampant inflation doubling my monthly expenditures, I have had to give up my favorite inebriant: marijuana.
I've been smoking marijuana consistently for several years since 2007 with maybe a month break here and there (that's being generous).
I preferred it over alcohol, which I had long given up as a horrible curse which ages and destroys the body. I always wondered how alcoholics came to be, because anytime I would drink, the hangover would last multiple days. Hair of the dog just made it worse.

Any who, now that inflation has made me re-allocate my budget and eliminate the otherwise wonderful plant, I was going through the pangs of withdrawal.
For the curious, marijuana is insidious with its withdrawal pangs. It messes with your appetite, ability to sleep, and the cravings, man the cravings. I used to be a cigarette smoker in college, quitting that was easy compared to pot. I could put down cigs, power through the 3-4 days of nicotine anger, and be good to go.

Pot on the other hand, ugh. Much worse getting through days 2-4 is the worst.

I'm about week and a half in. Thankfully, this has been a much better detox experience for me. I recently discovered that Unisom Sleep Tablets (doxylamine version) utterly blows the withdrawal insomnia out of the water. I was able to have restorative sleep which has had significant knock on effects in regards to appetite and general mood. I have a pill cutter which I use to reduce the dosage down. Day 1 is always the easiest, I never have issues here. But by day 2, I took a full pill. Day 3 half a pill, 4, quarter, 5 quarter, and 6 none.

I wanted post this here so that others who struggle with marijuana addiction can have an easy escape with an OTC drug when they decide to go cold turkey (reddit's sub for this topic is pathetic and they only want you to suffer with zero added substances). I'm back to normal for the most part and the speed of this was astounding.

SeaEagle

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
Good work, keep it up. I recently quit cold turkey and it wasn't easy! I barely have cravings now 3 months in (with a couple binge slip-ups a month and a half ago). I feel like I still have anhedonia from my blown out dopamine circuitry. Should recover, but patience is key here.

If you were hitting it as hard as I was, it's unreasonable to expect to be crisp right away.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Other Christian
Gold Member
Struggled with it for years. Withdrawal is excrutiating torture. Hard exercise and a cocktail of Zzzquil and melatonin got me through the worst of it, but my appetite didn't recover until about a month or two after.

A helpful quote -- "if you're going through hell, keep going". After some initial suffering you'll look back on the years with regret, knowing a heavy weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Not just saying this because it's a Christian forum, but God led you to this point for a reason. You have a good life in front of you if you want it. I found my wife and started a family not long after quitting.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I was addicted to marijuana from about 16 years old until my early thirties.

The main thing that helped me to quit was realizing not only was I incapable of controlling my addiction, heavy marijuana use was a factor in all of my mess ups in life. For me it just led me to drift through life in a daze with my ability to act and react severely hampered.

I'm still dealing with the residual laziness. It's like I never really learned how to act as an adult aside from being high and lazing around.

I had different excuses for smoking weed at different times in my long career. I'd often tell myself it was harmless. This is not true, weed is insidiously destructive. It's not like heroin where your life will overtly fall apart, but there will be moments where you're too high to make the right decision, or you fail to make a decision at all. There will be hours and hours of life wasted, just being high and playing video games or whatever. It just makes you a passive loser and if you don't think that has a detrimental affect then that just means you're not paying attention.

Another thing I'd tell myself is that it was some kind of sacrament. This was before I became Christian mind you. I'd feel that the state of mind weed put me in was closer to God or something. The reality is that God would not make it so easy that a completely unrepentant sinner could connect with Him just by smoking a bowl. It was just a deluded way to justify the fact that I could not face life without being high all the time.

Ultimately my propensity for getting stoned has held me back a lot. I don't blame weed itself, but my decision to use it a lot was one of the worst things I ever did. And I have to live with that. Forgive the disordered nature of this post, just wanted to blurt my thoughts out and I haven't had anywhere near enough coffee yet.

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Compared to alcohol, cannabis can appear to be less destructive. It doesn't lead to drunk driving accidents (although it can still impair driving), people cannot die from an overdose in one night from it, nor does it usually lead to people behaving violently. However, it has a subtle destructive nature -- it turns one away from reality into fantasy, it kills motivation, it makes one "soft", it hinders self-growth and keeps one in a almost juvenile state. It also has a feminizing effect I find.

I was a heavy user in college, and then I became a "moderate" user -- but even that was destructive. It kept me in a state of delusion and became a false idol. I had quit for the last 3 years, but once in a while I'd dabble... maybe for a couple weeks over the whole year. Now, I feel like even that is not worth it -- just that small amount of use is enough to disturb my sleep patterns, lower my self-confidence, and make me less productive.

I'm glad you were able to quit it. It's not easy to quit any bad habit, and I found cannabis way harder to quit than alcohol (which I was never too excessive about, except in my undergrad) and junk food. Not as hard to quit as PMO, however. Anyway, keep it up!

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Compared to alcohol, cannabis can appear to be less destructive. It doesn't lead to drunk driving accidents (although it can still impair driving), people cannot die from an overdose in one night from it, nor does it usually lead to people behaving violently. However, it has a subtle destructive nature -- it turns one away from reality into fantasy, it kills motivation, it makes one "soft", it hinders self-growth and keeps one in a almost juvenile state. It also has a feminizing effect I find.

I was a heavy user in college, and then I became a "moderate" user -- but even that was destructive. It kept me in a state of delusion and became a false idol. I had quit for the last 3 years, but once in a while I'd dabble... maybe for a couple weeks over the whole year. Now, I feel like even that is not worth it -- just that small amount of use is enough to disturb my sleep patterns, lower my self-confidence, and make me less productive.

I'm glad you were able to quit it. It's not easy to quit any bad habit, and I found cannabis way harder to quit than alcohol (which I was never too excessive about, except in my undergrad) and junk food. Not as hard to quit as PMO, however. Anyway, keep it up!
I think it's relative benign nature compared to other drugs is actually what is destructive about marijuana. You can be high for every single waking hour of every day of your life and it won't prevent you from functioning. Because of this it can be easy to be totally blind to the negative effects that it has.

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I was addicted to marijuana from about 16 years old until my early thirties.

The main thing that helped me to quit was realizing not only was I incapable of controlling my addiction, heavy marijuana use was a factor in all of my mess ups in life. For me it just led me to drift through life in a daze with my ability to act and react severely hampered.

I'm still dealing with the residual laziness. It's like I never really learned how to act as an adult aside from being high and lazing around.

I had different excuses for smoking weed at different times in my long career. I'd often tell myself it was harmless. This is not true, weed is insidiously destructive. It's not like heroin where your life will overtly fall apart, but there will be moments where you're too high to make the right decision, or you fail to make a decision at all. There will be hours and hours of life wasted, just being high and playing video games or whatever. It just makes you a passive loser and if you don't think that has a detrimental affect then that just means you're not paying attention.

Another thing I'd tell myself is that it was some kind of sacrament. This was before I became Christian mind you. I'd feel that the state of mind weed put me in was closer to God or something. The reality is that God would not make it so easy that a completely unrepentant sinner could connect with Him just by smoking a bowl. It was just a deluded way to justify the fact that I could not face life without being high all the time.

Ultimately my propensity for getting stoned has held me back a lot. I don't blame weed itself, but my decision to use it a lot was one of the worst things I ever did. And I have to live with that. Forgive the disordered nature of this post, just wanted to blurt my thoughts out and I haven't had anywhere near enough coffee yet.

This post hit hard for me, especially the bolded. I really wonder what opportunities I have missed out on because of inaction.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I found Christ in 2014 (still had a sinful life but time has worked that out), held down jobs, was relocated for free to Europe, traveled to the holy land, got married, own a condo, have some investments, have some kids, tried (and failed) at starting a business. My credit has always been good and resources for a comfortable (but not opulent) life have always been present.

I've always felt close to God and guided by the Holy Spirit. I try, stumble, and try harder to lead a life that is pleasing to Christ. The only thing is, I was using marijuana as a crutch for professional failures – especially my business failure – in a sort of self medicated anti-depressant way. I always felt I should be farther along professionally.

Between us, I was a month in on giving up Marijuana in 2020. My startup was moving along surprisingly well (defense industry related) then covid and a Joe Biden election win put an end to that. Probably one of the hardest periods of my life. Thankfully, that was not as much of a financial hit as it could have been. Marijuana and prayer have been there to shelter me from the depressing lows of life.

But marijuana has outlived its usefulness at this point. Between flower and vapes, I no longer was getting nearly as much enjoyment out of it. I won't ever do shatter, because that is clearly too much of a good thing. But yeah, I almost had been smoking weed for nearly half of my life. Half. That's crazy.

As much as I see inflation as a death kneel for America, it is a mixed blessing because now I no longer have the disposable income to continue enjoying this without feeling guilty that another aspect of my life is being harmed.

The Lord has always been good at making the next steps in my life very obvious. I feel like someone is watching over me, lets me fail gently, gives a hug, and picks me back up. In college, I would say God doesn't exist and something in or around me felt immensely hurt but was patient. I'm thankful and repentant that the Lord was patient with me while I learned the sinful lie that is modernity.

I hope removing this herbal security blanket from my life makes it easier for me to feel and sense better in my heart where the Holy Spirit wants me to go next.

PS, not taking the unisom anymore. Just the standard nighttime bevy of zinc, magnesium, fish oil, and melatonin.

No-Designation Man

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I wanted post this here so that others who struggle with marijuana addiction can have an easy escape with an OTC drug when they decide to go cold turkey (reddit's sub for this topic is pathetic and they only want you to suffer with zero added substances). I'm back to normal for the most part and the speed of this was astounding.
^Good insight here. *
There's nothing valiant about making the path to recovery more difficult. Self-flagellation serves no purpose except guaranteeing a more likely relapse. When coming off any vice, make sure to introduce positive lifestyle changes first (if possible) - Makes withdrawal less shocking to the system and gives you a sence of positive acheivement when battling any withdrawal depression.

*Bold was added to original quote

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I had the same experience as several here. I was a stoner in college, where I had pot and smoked it whenever I was able, depending on availability of dealers and funds. I considered it a definite hardship when I was without. There are no direct withdrawal symptoms, but I really wanted some, and got more as soon as possible. After I got married and started working, I started going longer periods without, but still always wanted it. Over the years, I gradually started going longer periods without it, but usually always would have liked to have some. I was going without by self discipline, but I wanted it.

I was in my 40s before I finally started to be completely willing to go without. I'd get some every once in a while, but I might go a year without, even though I could have got it if I wanted.

The thing is, I had the same experience others have described, with the loss of motivation and productivity. At first, I felt forced to go without it so I could get my work done. Then as the years went by, I gradually became more willing to go without. Finally, I have reached the point where I actively would not want to smoke it most of the time.

Like others, I had a business failure when I was younger, and I can definitely say that pot weakened my motivation and drive right when I might have been able to break through and succeed with a little more effort. Back in college days, I can see how it prevented me from having the kind of academic success and start to my career that I could otherwise have had.

In some ways it's hard to say. I remember hanging out with my stoner buddies in college, and talking about how we sometimes blew off homework to get stoned, but we saw that a lot of non-smokers struggled with procrastination just as badly, and our patterns really weren't that different. We all got fairly decent grades, and had some clear accomplishments. It's only in hindsight that I can see how people that succeed have to go the extra mile, push hard and break through adversity to really succeed at the top level. Pot definitely interferes with this kind of performance.

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
^Good insight here. *
There's nothing valiant about making the path to recovery more difficult. Self-flagellation serves no purpose except guaranteeing a more likely relapse. When coming off any vice, make sure to introduce positive lifestyle changes first (if possible) - Makes withdrawal less shocking to the system and gives you a sence of positive acheivement when battling any withdrawal depression.

*Bold was added to original quote
Right? It's not even something crazy. It's a cheap OTC sleep aid which I had left over for my wife's morning sickness. I've come to loathe Reddit and their mods inability to have a breadth of discussion outside of their myopic views of what should be discussed. Clearly little tyrants in need of a power fix.

Back on topic, I wonder if I would been gotten into Bitcoin back in 2009 had I not been smoking as much weed. I wish I went to school for computer science but even sober me I would not have made it through the math class requirements. I would have needed to spend multiple hours grinding away to get passable grades and I know I would have graduated bitter about missing out on the cOlLeGe experience. Heck of I had any BTC I would have turned into a McAfee.

Maybe the journey is more about the lesson. I'm happy I'm a stable boring normie adult. Hopefully I can be a better platform for my kids than mine were.

Ever since Covid started and my business went under, I've had this sense of impending collapse. I'm reminded of a certain NASA Test pilot and his predictions which awkwardly line up with current events. I don't see the point in investing in myself (like studying for GMAT to get a masters) for the future with so much currently in flux. If anything I'm trying to hunker down and find a safe place to wait out the eventual start of WW3. At least try to position myself to the suck isn't as bad and my kids don't hurt.

Maybe this is part of the withdrawal depression. It's hard to separate what is internal depression versus the external reality just being crappy. I bet Germans in Weimar Germany were depressed too. I journal a lot and address them to my children so they know the reality of this time period.

Last edited:

No-Designation Man

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Right? It's not even something crazy. It's a cheap OTC sleep aid which I had left over for my wife's morning sickness. I've come to loathe Reddit and their mods inability to have a breadth of discussion outside of their myopic views of what should be discussed. Clearly little tyrants in need of a power fix.

Back on topic, I wonder if I would been gotten into Bitcoin back in 2009 had I not been smoking as much weed. I wish I went to school for computer science but even sober me I would not have made it through the math class requirements. I would have needed to spend multiple hours grinding away to get passable grades and I know I would have graduated bitter about missing out on the cOlLeGe experience. Heck of I had any BTC I would have turned into a McAfee.
As long as your "Also Install McBeast1e anti-virus" box isn't pre-checked when downloading something else on a Freeware page. I admit McAfee got me once or twice with that back in the day - fortunately, immediate follow-up 'uninstalls' didn't give me enough time to actually blaze-up in frustration. :)

Maybe the journey is more about the lesson. I'm happy I'm a stable boring normie adult. Hopefully I can be a better platform for my kids than mine were.
With this attitude, you're already a better 'platform' than 90% of the general population.

Ever since Covid started and my business went under, I've had this sense of impending collapse. I'm reminded of a certain NASA Test pilot and his predictions which awkwardly line up with current events. I don't see the point in investing in investing for the future with so much currently in flux. If anything I'm trying to hunker down and find a safe place to wait out the eventual start of WW3.

Maybe this is part of the withdrawal depression. It's hard to separate what is internal depression versus the external reality just being crappy. I bet Germans in Weimar Germany were depressed too. I journal a lot and address them to my children so they know the reality of this time period.
You'll find the balance of knowing what is from without and what is from within. One big secret that this CULTure doesn't advertise:
You can't be 'happy' 24/7; life without suffering isn't real.

scarfaceantonio

Robin
Other Christian
I think there are rare cases where it can be helpfull. For example in medical cases when somebody has a painfulll injury it could release the pain and help to recover (combined with a good long sleep). Or in cases of extreme depression. Or it could release stress, anxiety, inhibitions,...

But at which cost?!? Its playing with fire!!!
Especially for people who dont have a full grown personality, its so dangerous. By taking Marijuana they are opening doors to all kinds of deamons (flies who enter the mind). This can be viewed among consumers who display "multiple personality traits". The resulting addiction can be so sneaky and hard to handle for people who don't have a stable personality (having the mind of Christ). They can be tempted for years to consume weed, and especially when they are at a weak point the temptation might overcome them. Even if somebody might have great experiences in the beginning, Im quite sure its all a huge "trap". I can imagine people without faith will have trouble to find "comparable joy", which has the effect similiar to worshipping an idol.

Another danger is that some people start to rely on it to become more "spiritual" and there's no doubt that when somebody gets "high" he is more able to see in the spirit realm, but including terrible side effects.
I believe this ability to see in the spirit realm could come from a "Spirit of Divination" which enters once somebody opens up the doors.
The "Rastafaris" who justify smoking weed by using scripture from Genesis 1:29-30.... seem to be very decieved. The passage was before the fall! Genesis 9:3 could be explained that the "green" is meant for food.

I mean I can understand that people who are messed up with diseases can find relief in smoking weed. Lost people. But since we have found something much more pure, strong and joyable (FAITH in the one true GOD), we are empowered enough not to touch such an unclean thing.
For example the experience of a prolonged fast, combined with deep prayer should be much more overwhelming... and produce good fruits. This is also what I recommend for guys who are struggling with addiction, with a proper fast you will face your deamons and GOD will provide a way to get ridd of them.... and come out with strong FAITH and power.....

scarfaceantonio

Robin
Other Christian

Man thanks for this excellent post and the great insight!
You described so many destructive and sneaky side effects. Especially your points on how it makes one soft and effeminate are spot on!
Now imagine somebody lacks of knowledge and doesn't know that being effiminate is a SIN for a man, he puts himself straight in a "prison" and under chains- without even knowing it.
Im so glad this Forum offers answers and solutions for many problems this generation has to face!

gang

Sparrow
I've been smoking on and off for 22 years going off of it many multiple times (sometimes cycling on and off by weeks or months) and the only "detox" or withdrawal symptom I can ever recall having is feeling slightly more stimulated for a week after stopping like I drank a couple cups of coffee, but it never affected my sleep. These people who experience heavier detox symptoms must be smoking ALOT of strong weed.

gang

Sparrow
I had the same experience as several here. I was a stoner in college, where I had pot and smoked it whenever I was able, depending on availability of dealers and funds. I considered it a definite hardship when I was without. There are no direct withdrawal symptoms, but I really wanted some, and got more as soon as possible. After I got married and started working, I started going longer periods without, but still always wanted it. Over the years, I gradually started going longer periods without it, but usually always would have liked to have some. I was going without by self discipline, but I wanted it.

I was in my 40s before I finally started to be completely willing to go without. I'd get some every once in a while, but I might go a year without, even though I could have got it if I wanted.

The thing is, I had the same experience others have described, with the loss of motivation and productivity. At first, I felt forced to go without it so I could get my work done. Then as the years went by, I gradually became more willing to go without. Finally, I have reached the point where I actively would not want to smoke it most of the time.

Like others, I had a business failure when I was younger, and I can definitely say that pot weakened my motivation and drive right when I might have been able to break through and succeed with a little more effort. Back in college days, I can see how it prevented me from having the kind of academic success and start to my career that I could otherwise have had.

In some ways it's hard to say. I remember hanging out with my stoner buddies in college, and talking about how we sometimes blew off homework to get stoned, but we saw that a lot of non-smokers struggled with procrastination just as badly, and our patterns really weren't that different. We all got fairly decent grades, and had some clear accomplishments. It's only in hindsight that I can see how people that succeed have to go the extra mile, push hard and break through adversity to really succeed at the top level. Pot definitely interferes with this kind of performance.
Pot makes you not care about doing things that you really don't want to do but are programmed to do by society. When the pot wears off your programming kicks back in and you suddenly care about all the dumb "acomplishments" you could have achieved that deep down you could care less about. Pot has never interfered with things I truely want to do in life, in fact it has enhanced my ability to think more deeply about these things instead of mindlessly following the script.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
I had a 10 day bout of weed smoking in my years B.C. The strain I was smoking was heavily engineered to give a psychedelic experience.
On the tenth day (Pascha Sunday) I had a demonic attack. I'll leave it at that.
I'm saying this to disuade any forum members from thinking weed is less dangerous than alcohol.
Please stay far away from it, consider it as spiritual poison.

02Hero

Banned
Other Christian
I talked to a smart man who knows a lot about health and he said marijuana is one of the most dangerous drugs in terms of how it affects the body and hormones in the long term. More dangerous than alcohol. Affecting receptors of cortisol, estrogen, glutathione, etc. Good way to make your body sick. Especially long term. Perhaps this is why this drug is legalised in the USA and idolised so much now. It is a sneaky killer (makes you feel good in short term, destroys the body long term).

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Pot makes you not care about doing things that you really don't want to do but are programmed to do by society. When the pot wears off your programming kicks back in and you suddenly care about all the dumb "acomplishments" you could have achieved that deep down you could care less about. Pot has never interfered with things I truely want to do in life, in fact it has enhanced my ability to think more deeply about these things instead of mindlessly following the script.

I'm curious to know what kinds of things you mean when you say being high switches off your cultural programming?

Most of the people I know who smoke a lot of pot find it difficult to even throw away old pizza boxes... I'd hardly call that breaking down societal programming. It's called being useless and lazy, but I'd be curious to know what you mean in your experience.

Also for someone who doesn't follow the script, you basically used a Bill Hicks bit for your entire argument.