Marijuana

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I'm curious to know what kinds of things you mean when you say being high switches off your cultural programming?

Most of the people I know who smoke a lot of pot find it difficult to even throw away old pizza boxes... I'd hardly call that breaking down societal programming. It's called being useless and lazy, but I'd be curious to know what you mean in your experience.

Also for someone who doesn't follow the script, you basically used a Bill Hicks bit for your entire argument.
I think a better way of stating it would be that marijuana makes the mind open to suggestions and can lead to accepting many crackpot and erroneous ideas.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I think a better way of stating it would be that marijuana makes the mind open to suggestions and can lead to accepting many crackpot and erroneous ideas.
Read the post that Lawrence87 was responding to. That poster makes a strong case in favor of my statement. He really believes that pot frees him from societal programming but really is only being reprogrammed to be a compliant slave of the NWO.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Read the post that Lawrence87 was responding to. That poster makes a strong case in favor of my statement. He really believes that pot frees him from societal programming but really is only being reprogrammed to be a compliant slave of the NWO.
Exactly. Under the influence of pot IQ is lowered substantially and at the same time, the user thinks he is being profound and deep.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
He really believes that pot frees him from societal programming but really is only being reprogrammed to be a compliant slave of the NWO.
This helps show how our God-given selves are naturally inclined to God, but the world tries to derail us with hallucinogenic, psychedelic, and/or addictive substances which take us away from God. We get programmed by everything we choose to do and experience with our senses. By choosing to do this or anything such as drinking excessively, or watching or listening to immoral media, you are putting yourself in a position that separates you from God.

Life is best experienced sober with a mind focused on God. Thread on Orthodox saints who were against smoking (presumably all about tobacco, but I don't see how it wouldn't apply even moreso to marijuana.)

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Exactly. Under the influence of pot IQ is lowered substantially and at the same time, the user thinks he is being profound and deep.

This is precisely my experience with marijuana.

I used to justify my addiction by taking long walks, smoking a joint and deciding I was going to delve really deep into a certain topic in my thoughts as I was walking. I honestly couldn't tell you any of the "insights" I'd had, and anything I did "come up with" was undoubtedly basic Terrence McKenna-esque nonsense that any stoner could come up with. Either that or I'd blow my mind by thinking things like 'whoa man, it's crazy that all the people who drive past have like their own lives and stuff' or other such stuff that even a simpleton wouldn't be astonished by. It literally makes you retarded.

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
From someone who had smoked marijuana less than 100 time-and each time with one or two inhales-over the span of 15 years, my take is that marijuana may have a strong beneficially spiritual and mind enhancing properties when used very sparingly. I find that I become more intellectually aware and I'd delve into different insights with multiple perspectives on many topics. These effects obviously are at their height under the influence but are useful-and this is where the gains are best obtained, when the experiences and thought patterns are consciously and deliberately sustained in the period after the influence. This takes some substantial efforts. I become extremely alert, motivated and experienced increased sense of well-being. Once, my conscious and cognitive processes seems highly sharpened such that I existed on different plane. I literally could not believe how articulate and crystal clear my thoughts and ideas were. It was unlike anything I have experienced. Shockingly this lasted a few days.

With that said, I always questioned if one should take such a drug, even if used sparsely and with apparent beneficial effects. It is a mind-altering drug after all. I do not have any answer to this question.

I could not see how people take it on a regular basis. After all, as I wrote above, I believe the benefits are best obtained when you attempt to consciously sustain and internalize the appearent increased cognitive functions after the influences.

Those who smoke marijuana regularly are almost always seem to be screw-ups. They seem dumb and slow.

Now it would be nice how to figure out how to enhance the potent cognitive functions without any drugs.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Protestant
Gold Member
I've got a lot of knowledge and experience on this topic. I have views on both sides of the fence but I'll spare you pages of my pontification.

Most of you are right in some way or another in my view but I do wonder about those condemning marijuana use while also promoting and participating in alcohol use. That one is truly perplexing.

Anyway, I must say that everything changes when you start talking about medical uses.

Having been in moderate to severe 24/7 pain for going on eight months now, I can tell you that God's little green herb does have legitimate uses. Sorry haters, that's just the fact. Don't operate to your full capacity, lose a couple IQ points, get 'lazy' all of these sound like very uneducated and/or very recreational user perspectives.

When sleep, appetite, and overall pain tolerance are your biggest concerns when you wake up each and every single morning, a few puffs of a natural herb medicine instead of a pill bottle is truly a blessing.

I'll add that in this debate it's important to remember those who are suffering from chronic pain. They tend to stand in the shadows of their rooms and apartments quietly suffering and can often be forgotten by all the folks out living their lives without the constant reminder of your body in pain. Often these people become addicted to painkillers or other pharmaceuticals and continue their downward spiral. Other times they come to accept a new level of pain as their 'new normal' and just grit their teeth and bear the pain. Something like marijuana, consumed in the least offensive way possible (edibles, dry leaf vaporizer, etc) can often help. Not necessary in pain relief per se, but allowing the user to somewhat 'forget' about the pain and become absorbed in another task. I for one can clean my desk or do stretches and light exercise very enjoyably in this state. I'm not trying to 'crush my career' or get a phD - just simply trying to get some relief out of the struggle.

All in moderation is really the message here.

Last edited:

gang

Sparrow
I'm curious to know what kinds of things you mean when you say being high switches off your cultural programming?

Most of the people I know who smoke a lot of pot find it difficult to even throw away old pizza boxes... I'd hardly call that breaking down societal programming. It's called being useless and lazy, but I'd be curious to know what you mean in your experience.

Also for someone who doesn't follow the script, you basically used a Bill Hicks bit for your entire argument.
It doesn't switch it off completely, it makes you more "lazy" to do things you were programmed to do by society. If you really want to do something weed by no means has enough power to keep you from doing it, this is just an excuse people use to try to explain to themselves or others why they didn't achieve some pointless goal they were programmed to think they should have achieved.

Difficult to throw away pizza boxes? Not sure if trolling but that is ridiculous. Reading your other post I see you are a into video games. It seems as though gaming is your problem, not weed. Which is why you still blow all your time mindlesssly playing video games even though you aren't smoking. What the hell does weed have to do with that?

I quit playing video games around the age of 12 so when I smoke I am usually engaged in some type of reflection on my life, consuming some type of content related to my interests, or simply doing something that I want to do. If I'm too high at any point to do what I want to do I simply refrain from smoking until I'm done doing what I wanted to do.

I also recommend cycling on and off weed, not consistently smoking or consistently not smoking. If I smoke consistently the benefits start to become less and less, and the same goes for always being sober. When I am always sober for long periods of time (months or years) I start to lose that deeper connection with myself and I start to move more into that "auto-pilot" way of living life. I've literally seen an intelligent creative open thinking renegade (my friend) turn into a completely hypnotized matrix zombie after quitting weed years ago. Sad thing to see.

Last edited:

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
It doesn't switch it off completely, it makes you more "lazy" to do things you were programmed to do by society. If you really want to do something weed by no means has enough power to keep you from doing it, this is just an excuse people use to try to explain to themselves or others why they didn't achieve some pointless goal they were programmed to think they should have achieved.

Difficult to throw away pizza boxes? Not sure if trolling but that is ridiculous. Reading your other post I see you are a into video games. It seems as though gaming is your problem, not weed. Which is why you still blow all your time mindlesssly playing video games even though you aren't smoking. What the hell does weed have to do with that?

I quit playing video games around the age of 12 so when I smoke I am usually engaged in some type of reflection on my life, consuming some type of content related to my interests, or simply doing something that I want to do. If I'm too high at any point to do what I want to do I simply refrain from smoking until I'm done doing what I wanted to do.

I also recommend cycling on and off weed, not consistently smoking or consistently not smoking. If I smoke consistently the benefits start to become less and less, and the same goes for always being sober. When I am always sober for long periods of time (months or years) I start to lose that deeper connection with myself and I start to move more into that "auto-pilot" way of living life. I've literally seen an intelligent creative open thinking renegade (my friend) turn into a completely hypnotized matrix zombie after quitting weed years ago. Sad thing to see.
Is it your friend that is the hypnotized matrix zombie or you? You can’t relate to his normal thinking because you are as high as a kite. The profound thoughts you think you have are probably just demons afflicting your mind with nonsense when you are in an opened psychic state due to marijuana use. The reason pot was pushed so much in the 60’s is because it enabled profound societal change and not a beneficial change. The reason they are legalizing it now is for the same reason.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
From someone who had smoked marijuana less than 100 time-and each time with one or two inhales-over the span of 15 years, my take is that marijuana may have a strong beneficially spiritual and mind enhancing properties when used very sparingly. I find that I become more intellectually aware and I'd delve into different insights with multiple perspectives on many topics. These effects obviously are at their height under the influence but are useful-and this is where the gains are best obtained, when the experiences and thought patterns are consciously and deliberately sustained in the period after the influence. This takes some substantial efforts. I become extremely alert, motivated and experienced increased sense of well-being. Once, my conscious and cognitive processes seems highly sharpened such that I existed on different plane. I literally could not believe how articulate and crystal clear my thoughts and ideas were. It was unlike anything I have experienced. Shockingly this lasted a few days.

With that said, I always questioned if one should take such a drug, even if used sparsely and with apparent beneficial effects. It is a mind-altering drug after all. I do not have any answer to this question.

I could not see how people take it on a regular basis. After all, as I wrote above, I believe the benefits are best obtained when you attempt to consciously sustain and internalize the appearent increased cognitive functions after the influences.

Those who smoke marijuana regularly are almost always seem to be screw-ups. They seem dumb and slow.

Now it would be nice how to figure out how to enhance the potent cognitive functions without any drugs.
If one finds himself as if existing on another plane that person should immediately beware demonic influence. It can be subtle, very subtle. As far as improving cognitive functions. For starters getting proper sleep, exercising regularly, avoiding excessive alcohol consumption and any kind of drug, a good healthy diet and plenty of water. Many people fail in multiple categories on that list. Cognitive function can be improved by actually using it. Try remembering as much as you see during a walk or drive for instance. Playing chess is helpful. Reading actively, meaning that instead of passively absorbing everything you read try to found out why you agree with it or disagree with it That develops logic. Sitting around smoking pot just creates a world of delusions and tortured logic. Such a person is lost. I am reminded of the Lotus Eaters of Greek myth.

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
If one finds himself as if existing on another plane that person should immediately beware demonic influence. It can be subtle, very subtle. As far as improving cognitive functions. For starters getting proper sleep, exercising regularly, avoiding excessive alcohol consumption and any kind of drug, a good healthy diet and plenty of water. Many people fail in multiple categories on that list. Cognitive function can be improved by actually using it. Try remembering as much as you see during a walk or drive for instance. Playing chess is helpful. Reading actively, meaning that instead of passively absorbing everything you read try to found out why you agree with it or disagree with it That develops logic. Sitting around smoking pot just creates a world of delusions and tortured logic. Such a person is lost. I am reminded of the Lotus Eaters of Greek myth.

Can't argue with you there. Demonic, or unnatural enhanced cognitive abilities are artificially created, but then I ask myself why weed would be somewhat existing in nature (correct me if I'm wrong).

Under the influence was where heightened consciousness may be unnatural but not the day(s) after. I literally felt higher usage of my brain powers. Unfortunately this happened only a few times with heavens know what strains of weed.

The fact that I drink and smoke regularly, on top of medicore sleep and above average diet is the reason for abstaining from marijuana uses. One too many vices.

Currently undergoing regime of one meal a day and cold shower, with goals of quitting drinking and smoking, and proactive cognitive enhancing activities. Plus experimental with natural supplements. Only then will I consider occassionally marijuana use.

I don't foresee myself taking marijuana experiments for a long while. By then I may not even consider it (hopefully) for cognitive purposes.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Can't argue with you there. Demonic, or unnatural enhanced cognitive abilities are artificially created, but then I ask myself why weed would be somewhat existing in nature (correct me if I'm wrong).

Under the influence was where heightened consciousness may be unnatural but not the day(s) after. I literally felt higher usage of my brain powers. Unfortunately this happened only a few times with heavens know what strains of weed.

The fact that I drink and smoke regularly, on top of medicore sleep and above average diet is the reason for abstaining from marijuana uses. One too many vices.

Currently undergoing regime of one meal a day and cold shower, with goals of quitting drinking and smoking, and proactive cognitive enhancing activities. Plus experimental with natural supplements. Only then will I consider occassionally marijuana use.

I don't foresee myself taking marijuana experiments for a long while. By then I may not even consider it (hopefully) for cognitive purpose.
Marijuana existing as a part of nature does not prove that it is benign. Nature is full of poisonous plants that can kill if ingested. Good luck with your disciplinary undertaking.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox

You never answered my question. What kind of things are you "programmed" to do that weed enlightens you to and you suddenly stop doing? Give me an example.

I have neither a problem with weed or gaming any more thanks to God. Gaming certainly wasn't as big of a problem for me as weed. When I quit weed my desire to spend hours mindlessly playing video games also diminished without any effort on my part. Funny that...

I'm not interested in smoking weed anymore. Whether it's cycling it or whatever. I won't speak for your experience but it was precisely the opposite for me. Weed made it extremely difficult to get out of my own inner thoughts so it was much harder for me to connect with other people properly, it made me live in a twighlight zone just letting life drift by etc.

Forgive me for saying this but coming to a thread where someone is wanting to talk about quitting weed in order to evangelize about it and justify your own addiction is a bit of a douche move. Hence why I am arguing with you. My guess is your need to defend marijuana, and the fact that you are emphazing how in control of it you are by saying 'yeah but I can quit when I want, I just don't like sobriety' sounds like you have a problem and the idea that people want to quit weed and improve their lives challenges you. Have some respect for what this topic is about and go evangelize for your drug addiction somewhere else, this topic is to help people quit weed, those people don't need to hear this kind of stuff.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
I used to be of the opinion that marijuana was harmless, but I no longer have that view.

Marijuana / hash is not a soft drug, it opens your mind up to sin. Caffeine is a 'soft' drug.

I was only a light smoker, but I used to smoke and then fornicate. It was much easier to fornicate when I was high. I could have avoided it, but the weed made me weak.

It also causes brain fog and lost motivation. People who think they function better high are deluding themselves.

My view now is complete abstinence from all drugs, including alcohol.

I will say this however, I do believe alcohol to be worse, especially past the buzzed stage. (I don't mean having a glass of wine or beer with dinner) It's rare that a stoned person becomes violent.

Pointy Elbows

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I've got a lot of knowledge and experience on this topic. I have views on both sides of the fence but I'll spare you pages of my pontification.

Most of you are right in some way or another in my view but I do wonder about those condemning marijuana use while also promoting and participating in alcohol use. That one is truly perplexing.

Anyway, I must say that everything changes when you start talking about medical uses.

Having been in moderate to severe 24/7 pain for going on eight months now, I can tell you that God's little green herb does have legitimate uses. Sorry haters, that's just the fact. Don't operate to your full capacity, lose a couple IQ points, get 'lazy' all of these sound like very uneducated and/or very recreational user perspectives.

When sleep, appetite, and overall pain tolerance are your biggest concerns when you wake up each and every single morning, a few puffs of a natural herb medicine instead of a pill bottle is truly a blessing.

I'll add that in this debate it's important to remember those who are suffering from chronic pain. They tend to stand in the shadows of their rooms and apartments quietly suffering and can often be forgotten by all the folks out living their lives without the constant reminder of your body in pain. Often these people become addicted to painkillers or other pharmaceuticals and continue their downward spiral. Other times they come to accept a new level of pain as their 'new normal' and just grit their teeth and bear the pain. Something like marijuana, consumed in the least offensive way possible (edibles, dry leaf vaporizer, etc) can often help. Not necessary in pain relief per se, but allowing the user to somewhat 'forget' about the pain and become absorbed in another task. I for one can clean my desk or do stretches and light exercise very enjoyably in this state. I'm not trying to 'crush my career' or get a phD - just simply trying to get some relief out of the struggle.

All in moderation is really the message here.
As a non-user, I've observed the medical benefits and the behavioral downside of weed in my family. My sister has chronic migraines, has used a few times, and found relief. She rarely uses it because her son became addicted (long before she ever tried marijuana), fell into a very bad spiral, and ended up in prison because of his violent outbursts either on weed or in pursuit of it. He's somewhat better now, but not really a productive guy. I've had another family member that used heavily, came around, and is now totally sober for 3+ years. He believes that weed is a) addictive, and b) bad for even regular performance (not even talking peak performance stuff).

I'm glad a disciplined person can use it as a legitimate medical treatment, but I do believe modern weed is addictive and can hurt a person.

Agreed, all in moderation.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
The last post makes a good point. Modern weed is about 10 times as strong as when I first smoked it in the early 80s, and I was told at the time that it was far weaker still in the 60s hippy era.

Nowadays they have the dab stuff, which is nearly pure THC. Even if it was once a mild drug, it isn't anymore.

gang

Sparrow
Is it your friend that is the hypnotized matrix zombie or you? You can’t relate to his normal thinking because you are as high as a kite. The profound thoughts you think you have are probably just demons afflicting your mind with nonsense when you are in an opened psychic state due to marijuana use. The reason pot was pushed so much in the 60’s is because it enabled profound societal change and not a beneficial change. The reason they are legalizing it now is for the same reason.

You never answered my question. What kind of things are you "programmed" to do that weed enlightens you to and you suddenly stop doing? Give me an example.

I have neither a problem with weed or gaming any more thanks to God. Gaming certainly wasn't as big of a problem for me as weed. When I quit weed my desire to spend hours mindlessly playing video games also diminished without any effort on my part. Funny that...

I'm not interested in smoking weed anymore. Whether it's cycling it or whatever. I won't speak for your experience but it was precisely the opposite for me. Weed made it extremely difficult to get out of my own inner thoughts so it was much harder for me to connect with other people properly, it made me live in a twighlight zone just letting life drift by etc.

Forgive me for saying this but coming to a thread where someone is wanting to talk about quitting weed in order to evangelize about it and justify your own addiction is a bit of a douche move. Hence why I am arguing with you. My guess is your need to defend marijuana, and the fact that you are emphazing how in control of it you are by saying 'yeah but I can quit when I want, I just don't like sobriety' sounds like you have a problem and the idea that people want to quit weed and improve their lives challenges you. Have some respect for what this topic is about and go evangelize for your drug addiction somewhere else, this topic is to help people quit weed, those people don't need to hear this kind of stuff.
In your post you said you "wasted" hours and hours of your life because of weed, what are you under the impression that you would have rather done with these hours? Whatever it is I can guarantee it's something you don't really care about deep down otherwise you would have done it regardless. The only reason you think you care about it when you're sober is because you're programmed. You give weed wayyy too much credit, it's simply not as powerful as you're claiming it to be. To completely rip you of all motivation to do things you really want to do in life is simply not true. But hey you can continue to believe this delusion if it makes you feel better I guess.

I'm not trying to evangelize weed I've just noticed this common theme where people quit weed and then immediately blame all their life problems on it with barely any sober time under their belt to really be able to compare and contrast and realize weed isn't the issue.

Or maybe I'm different. Either way I wanted to give my opinion but I will leave it at that. Good luck with your journey.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
In your post you said you "wasted" hours and hours of your life because of weed, what are you under the impression that you would have rather done with these hours? Whatever it is I can guarantee it's something you don't really care about deep down otherwise you would have done it regardless. The only reason you think you care about it when you're sober is because you're programmed. You give weed wayyy too much credit, it's simply not as powerful as you're claiming it to be. To completely rip you of all motivation to do things you really want to do in life is simply not true. But hey you can continue to believe this delusion if it makes you feel better I guess.

I'm not trying to evangelize weed I've just noticed this common theme where people quit weed and then immediately blame all their life problems on it with barely any sober time under their belt to really be able to compare and contrast and realize weed isn't the issue.

Or maybe I'm different. Either way I wanted to give my opinion but I will leave it at that. Good luck with your journey.
I could have spent the time getting my life together and I'd be in a much better position had I done so. Whilst there is nothing wrong with down time and relaxing on occasion, weed made that my entire life. I never did anything difficult in order to progress or improve my situation. Any time I wanted too, I couldn't think clearly enough to figure out what to do. Certainly not clearly enough to see the damage that my decision to keep smoking weed was doing.

I stated in my initial post that it was my decision to smoke weed. I wasn't passively attacked by a plant that then enslaved me. Every time I decided to smoke it I consciously made a choice to continue my addiction. I'm not claiming that the drug had ultimate power over me, or blaming my decision to use it on happenstance. It was my choice. It was just a really really stupid choice given the effects of it.

I've been sober for almost 3 years. I have some bad habits left, because I basically ruined my brain with weed and never learned how to actually act like a responsible adult, but it has been long enough to know that weed 100% had a detrimental effect on me. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

It strikes me that you are just coping. It's something addicts do. The first thing they will say is they can give up any time, because they cannot accept that their addiction is in control of them. This is precisely what you have done in talking about this cycling stuff. The thing is in the same breath you say you don't like sober life, so in saying you can't face reality without this drug you're admitting that you are a slave to it. Then you are saying it doesn't have any negative effects etc. You cannot provide any examples for how it liberates you from societal programming. It just strikes me as a massive cope. Get off the drugs. They aren't liberating you from anything, you are enslaved by them.

gang

Sparrow
I could have spent the time getting my life together and I'd be in a much better position had I done so. Whilst there is nothing wrong with down time and relaxing on occasion, weed made that my entire life. I never did anything difficult in order to progress or improve my situation. Any time I wanted too, I couldn't think clearly enough to figure out what to do. Certainly not clearly enough to see the damage that my decision to keep smoking weed was doing.

I stated in my initial post that it was my decision to smoke weed. I wasn't passively attacked by a plant that then enslaved me. Every time I decided to smoke it I consciously made a choice to continue my addiction. I'm not claiming that the drug had ultimate power over me, or blaming my decision to use it on happenstance. It was my choice. It was just a really really stupid choice given the effects of it.

I've been sober for almost 3 years. I have some bad habits left, because I basically ruined my brain with weed and never learned how to actually act like a responsible adult, but it has been long enough to know that weed 100% had a detrimental effect on me. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

It strikes me that you are just coping. It's something addicts do. The first thing they will say is they can give up any time, because they cannot accept that their addiction is in control of them. This is precisely what you have done in talking about this cycling stuff. The thing is in the same breath you say you don't like sober life, so in saying you can't face reality without this drug you're admitting that you are a slave to it. Then you are saying it doesn't have any negative effects etc. You cannot provide any examples for how it liberates you from societal programming. It just strikes me as a massive cope. Get off the drugs. They aren't liberating you from anything, you are enslaved by them.
Cycling allows you to reap the benefits of both states, high and sober, because the benefits of each diminish with time but you can reboot each state by taking a break from it. If you really can't fathom the idea of taking a break when you are actively using weed then we are different. For me its easy because I literally get tired of smoking and being high and just want some days, weeks, or months sober. I've even gone years sober on multiple breaks. But then it happens again... I get tired of being sober and I am called back to the introspective thinking and alternate perspectives that I am able to achieve while using weed. And the cycle continues like this.

As a real example my most recent break was from June to November. When I returned to smoking in November I was really reflecting on my age and how quickly time was passing, and realized I should be living, enjoying and appreciating each day more than I have been being on "sober auto-pilot" mode never really thinking about time at all. This realization has stuck with me even though I am again on a small break from weed, so far like 1 week but I'll probably get a small bag another week or two from now. I only buy small amounts at a time so that when its finished I can clearly assess whether or not I want more, without it being right in front of me.