Marijuana

NotaBene

Robin
Protestant
I would think I'd had some profound insight when it was actually just profoundly retarded.

Pretty sure that's my whole life in a sentence :D

I can't see any good reason to have someone elses conversation with God.

Shots fired. I co-led a house church with an Anglican priest, he was as far Catholic as you could get while still being protestant. He liked the calendar, saints days, and prayer books, that kinda thing. Always made it very interesting. I learned to appreciate him and his ways. I don't like those pre-written prayers either, but if you lack words you can use what thousands of other brothers have found helpful. Takes the pressure off to make the "right" prayer because it's already been tried and has worked over the years.

developing a personal dialogue with God

I'm wary of this wording because it's too close to the feminist Jesus-as-my-boyfriend language. I've learned to cringe at this kind of language. It's not in scripture and it's distasteful to men. For this reason I hang on verses like these:

"Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God. After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few." -Ecc 5

"And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard." -Matt 6

My prayer is often just a few sentences with a lot of meditation on God and his words. My theory is that men with "deep" prayer lives do not necessarily talk more. I could be wrong.

Protestants are some of the worst offenders when it comes to letting people (especially women) pray on and on in public. Because it's "rude" to stop them. You know the kind, the ones who use the words "Father God" and "just" every other word and go on for ten minutes saying what they could have in 30 seconds. In such circumstances pre-written prayers start to make a lot of sense, honestly.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
I'm wary of this wording because it's too close to the feminist Jesus-as-my-boyfriend language.

I'm not sure how you got that from my words.

As for praying too much, Romans 12:12

“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.”

BlastbeatCasanova

Kingfisher
Try it and enjoy it. There's loads of hyperbole in this thread.
Seriously, some people on this forum have really gone off the deep in end in some regards, they remind me of liberals that can't be reasoned with.

Marijuana is only as dangerous as any other vice such as alcohol or unhealthy food, in regards to how much self-discipline you have over yourself. I know several people who are successful in nearly all metrics of life who enjoy it from time to time. And plenty have waxed on the dangers of alcohol compared to weed - there really isn't any comparison.

The main problem with weed is that it is so easy to use, with little to no immediate negative effects, that some folks can become enraptured in the feelings of comfort and pleasure and time will pass you by quickly if you abuse it. It just makes it too easy to feel good and comfortable with very little effort. We all the know the classic stoner who had a lot of potential but wasted it because it was more fun in the moment to smoke weed and play video games all the time until that became their waking life. Then you wake up at 30 and wonder where all the years went.

I've been a pretty light user over the years but I'm realistic about its dangers. Comfort is a very compelling drug whether it be induced by weed, video games, sugary foods, etc. I'm on a break from using as I'm currently not where I want to be in life and am directing all of my focus into fitness and finances but I'm sure I'll revisit it sometime in the future.

Solitarius

Robin
Catholic
Alcohol was used by Christ Himself, cannabis received no such Divine endorsement. One of the most famous, or I should say infamous examples of its use historically was by Hassan the Old Man of the Mountain, founder of the Mahometan sect of the Assassins. He'd use it in conjunction with opium & a few other things to dope his deluded followers into thinking that he had the power to cause them to be transported to the Mahometan paradise. Peter Hitchens has written quite a bit on the tendency of habitual smokers of cannabis to become mentally deranged & commit various bizarre crimes, it wouldn't do any harm to read some of his columns on this subject.

clzoomer

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Alcohol was used by Christ Himself, cannabis received no such Divine endorsement.
Blasphemy.
Alcohol was drunk back then because water was literally poisonous and most of it could make you very ill. There was no filtering system; drinking water was dirty and often cloudy until semi recently. They made most of their drinks into alcoholic beverages to kill the bacteria.
Do not imply that Christ drank alcohol because He wanted to get drunk, or condoned such behavior. This is blasphemous

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Blasphemy.
Alcohol was drunk back then because water was literally poisonous and most of it could make you very ill. There was no filtering system; drinking water was dirty and often cloudy until semi recently. They made most of their drinks into alcoholic beverages to kill the bacteria.
Do not imply that Christ drank alcohol because He wanted to get drunk, or condoned such behavior. This is blasphemous
I don’t think he implied Christ wanted to get drunk. In fact it points out that alcohol use does not necessarily have to lead to drunkenness. Marijuana use however always leads to and has as it‘s primary purpose intoxication.

7-5

Sparrow
Other Christian
@Pot Use: I've known many who just tried it once and never picked it up again.
This puzzled me when I was 'in the lifestyle', as it were.

Seeing people who are way too into it these days makes me cringe. I'd advise you not to bother.
Think of it like hard alcohol: Yeah, some people can get 'used to the juice' and only ever have one or two. Most try to numb something by getting drunk at consistent intervals.

@Prayers: What's so wrong with pre-made?
People who lived much more spiritual lives made some of those. They'd know more about what things to do to make a good one.
Don't stop doing your own, but utilize others and learn from them.

It's helped me immensely to do both. Mind you, I'm still very much an infant in my journey in faith.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Blasphemy.

He not only drank wine he explicitly told his disciples to drink it in remembrance of him. He also transformed water into wine to keep a wedding party going. That is not the same as condoning drunkenness.

Solitarius

Robin
Catholic
Blasphemy.
That would indeed be blasphemy. It's jolly good for me that I didn't write that. Cavalier answered this accusation perfectly, I advise you to read his post and to improve your reading comprehension, perhaps read an overview of logic and how to use it, that would do you some good I'm sure.

clzoomer

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
That would indeed be blasphemy. It's jolly good for me that I didn't write that. Cavalier answered this accusation perfectly, I advise you to read his post and to improve your reading comprehension, perhaps read an overview of logic and how to use it, that would do you some good I'm sure.
Sorry :confused: got a little excited there o_O

Roman Maronite

Sparrow
Catholic
Pretty much all organized religions (but especially Catholicism) place their cleric between you and God. I always saw this as a "maintain relevance" type of move. If you can have a personal relationship with God then the Church's value proposition goes way down.

That being said, for the vast majority of people regular church attendance is a positive.
do you even sacrament bro ?

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I'd actually love to go to a big 4/20 celebration and just troll people by saying "I love that we are celebrating so openly, but can someone please explain what weed has to do with Hitler's birthday?"

That would be great to see. "Sieg Heil... but for the 'erb too? I thought Germans worshipped Sauerkraut?"

I'd invite anyone over here to check my thread in the culture section on 'Christian influences in reggae/ska/dub music', no doubt some ex-stoners knocking around here who'd appreciate it: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/christian-influence-in-early-reggae-ska-dub-music.41721/

I'm open to any criticism as well on this kind of music and whether anyone thinks it is appropriate or not. My weed days are firmly behind me but I can enjoy this music without any temptation to go back. Early reggae tunes (and the occasional modern one too) exhibit a Christian ethos with traditional values present in the lyrics. In some songs (but by no means all) there's a leaning towards the heretical Rasta movement with some allusions to smoking tha 'errrb, but its far better than the modern satanic garbage anyway, and there's something of the Old World vibe in those earlier tracks. Maybe i just cant let go of the reggae muuuzickk...

TheChad

Chicken
Non-Christian
the only person I know still actively smoking weed in the morning and all nite is a literal cuck with a gf who has three kids with three different men and none of the kids are this person I know. She only uses him for his weed and its obvious. she even cheated on him and got pregnant with another mans baby while he was planning on getting married to her. After she birthed the latest baby she came crawling back into his life and he now has her living with him in a house he saved up for and bought.

Weed is nice dont get me wrong and if I was in Colorado up in the mountains it would be nice on occasion but not daily and not worth the legal problems or paranoia.

Anyone smoking it daily is gonna have some issues sooner or later.

IM3000

Pelican
I'm almost 40 and have smoked weed since I was 13/14 years old. Dabbled in other drugs as well, but never developed an addiction to them. I could simply do a line or 5 a night and not touch coke again for years. Same with alcohol.

Since I have been smoking weed for most of my life, I guess that qualifies as a proper addiction. Especially because I could never regulate my consumption, e.g. only smoke on the weekends. It was a daily thing for me during many years. Thankfully, I was never the wake and bake type. Instead, I'm rather high functioning person: Good job in STEM, active in sports and have a decent amount of friends.

Close to a month ago, I decided to quit. I'm not sure why, but I just did. Cold turkey. I still have an ounce or so at home but I have no intention of touching it, nor have I come close to relapsing yet. I used to think of weed as pretty harmless and for sure it's not meth. That said, I realized that after 2-3 weeks of abstinence, a bunch of bottled up emotions came up. Got sad over things which happened in the past and I mean proper sad. Tears and all. Pretty weird feeling for me, as I'm not a super emotional man by any means. This is still going on and is pretty interesting. I function just fine, hang out with friends, work, hit the gym, etc. but then I get these gloomy/sad feelings. I just observe them and let them run out. Let's see how long this lasts.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, at least for me, weed was indeed some kind of coping mechanism to numb unpleasant emotions. Pretty stereotypical and pretty unhealthy. It only took me 26 years to figure it out.

I have to admit that writing this is a bit embarrassing. Morale of the story, be smarter than me kids. Just say no.