Marijuana

7-5

Sparrow
Other Christian
I'm almost 40 and have smoked weed since I was 13/14 years old. Dabbled in other drugs as well, but never developed an addiction to them. I could simply do a line or 5 a night and not touch coke again for years. Same with alcohol.

Since I have been smoking weed for most of my life, I guess that qualifies as a proper addiction. Especially because I could never regulate my consumption, e.g. only smoke on the weekends. It was a daily thing for me during many years. Thankfully, I was never the wake and bake type. Instead, I'm rather high functioning person: Good job in STEM, active in sports and have a decent amount of friends.

Close to a month ago, I decided to quit. I'm not sure why, but I just did. Cold turkey. I still have an ounce or so at home but I have no intention of touching it, nor have I come close to relapsing yet. I used to think of weed as pretty harmless and for sure it's not meth. That said, I realized that after 2-3 weeks of abstinence, a bunch of bottled up emotions came up. Got sad over things which happened in the past and I mean proper sad. Tears and all. Pretty weird feeling for me, as I'm not a super emotional man by any means. This is still going on and is pretty interesting. I function just fine, hang out with friends, work, hit the gym, etc. but then I get these gloomy/sad feelings. I just observe them and let them run out. Let's see how long this lasts.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, at least for me, weed was indeed some kind of coping mechanism to numb unpleasant emotions. Pretty stereotypical and pretty unhealthy. It only took me 26 years to figure it out.

I have to admit that writing this is a bit embarrassing. Morale of the story, be smarter than me kids. Just say no.

Take the next step: throw that ounce away unceremoniously.

If you're over it, if it has no control over you: your mind won't even think of the word 'waste'.

I once did so with half a handle of whiskey in a conversation about addiction with a friend.

Did it a bunch more times with other stuff whenever I found myself... Enjoying myself too easily.

IM3000

Pelican
Take the next step: throw that ounce away unceremoniously.

If you're over it, if it has no control over you: your mind won't even think of the word 'waste'.

I once did so with half a handle of whiskey in a conversation about addiction with a friend.

Did it a bunch more times with other stuff whenever I found myself... Enjoying myself too easily.
It took me a while to finally get rid of the remaining weed and the other "paraphernalia" I still had at home. Felt quite good once it was gone.

I guess that it'll take a while until the last traces of it leave my body, but I can already tell that I'm getting better.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
It took me a while to finally get rid of the remaining weed and the other "paraphernalia" I still had at home. Felt quite good once it was gone.

I guess that it'll take a while until the last traces of it leave my body, but I can already tell that I'm getting better.

I am a firm believer that the only way to break any kind of bad habit or addiction is immediately, with a penitent heart, and with the help of the Lord. Any compromise on those three points, and I've found that relapse is almost inevitable.

IM3000

Pelican
I am a firm believer that the only way to break any kind of bad habit or addiction is immediately, with a penitent heart, and with the help of the Lord. Any compromise on those three points, and I've found that relapse is almost inevitable.
I haven't relapsed despite having had the stuff at home. I even was in an environment with people smoking around me and I had no urge at all to participate. Not sure what triggered my change of heart but it was like a flip of a switch and I just stopped smoking after doing it for all these years.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
I haven't relapsed despite having had the stuff at home. I even was in an environment with people smoking around me and I had no urge at all to participate. Not sure what triggered my change of heart but it was like a flip of a switch and I just stopped smoking after doing it for all these years.
Good for you. I would advise that you make it no harder on yourself than it needs to be. I'd look to make some new associations that can help to reinforce your positive change, rather than putting yourself back into a situation where temptation could more easily grab a hold of you. Avoid to near occasion of sin. It is all too easy to let your guard down, and compound one bad decision with despair for a lapse in judgement, and so the pendulum swings, often further. Stay strong, you've got this.

7-5

Sparrow
Other Christian

It was a little hard, huh?
'I can't get rid of this piece, my Fraternity brother gave it to me!'
'I can't part with that, it hits the best!'
'This is the only one I'll keep! I paid a pretty penny for it after all!'

Finding the grounds to go against those ingrained notions takes time. Good on you for doing so and holding your own among fellow lotus eaters.

Further down the line: you'll have not thought about using in so long it'll surprise you.

If you feel the old hunger come at you in private moments: say the Jesus prayer. It really does help.

I know your feeling of not wanting to partake even when with company. The last tip I can give you is to find something you want to do that smoking of any substance would hurt. For me, this was singing. For you, it could be anything else.

IM3000

Pelican
I know your feeling of not wanting to partake even when with company. The last tip I can give you is to find something you want to do that smoking of any substance would hurt. For me, this was singing. For you, it could be anything else.
Yes, I already found it: Reading. I really like reading but cannot do it high and since I usually smoked in the evenings, I didn't as read much as I would have liked. Now I spend at least 30 min to an hour before bed just reading. Feels so much better than getting high and watching TV or playing video games. On that note, I also sold my PS5 recently. Seemed like such a time waste to me suddenly.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Protestant
Gold Member
After a 20+ year on and off history with the stuff, I cannot condone its use for recreation or medicine in any way.

I've done a complete 180 from my previous stance expressed in this thread.

I could write a book about my experience with it but simply put it will draw you away from God and open doors to sin and those are reason enough to cease and desist using marijuana.

Anyone like me who's 'wasted time' on it like me shouldn't dwell in regret but simply use it as a motivator to stay marijuana free and focused on God. You went through that pot smoking phase, however long and however heavy, for a reason - now put it behind you and move forward.

Knew some people who would get high and hear voices, sometimes with marijuana, sometimes with hydrocodone or other narcotics. Some even believed it was God talking to them, showing them things, signs, but there would almost always be simultaneous demonic manifestations. Does anyone think that getting high would allow someone to communicate with God? Truly, and honestly, I don't. I think those doors are all demonic, even alcohol. They would get high and go to church looking for signs. I don't know how people can rationalize this behavior in line with a walk of faith, it seems completely contradictory to me. Any thoughts? Drug users would often chuckle and ask me if I am obsessed with being "in control" when I say I don't like to get high, but I truly just am not weak and trying to escape from God-given reality, no matter how bleak or unfair it may seem to the normies.

prisonplanet

Robin
Other Christian
Any drug should only be for emergencies, including prescription. If I get into a horrible car wreck and my body is mangled and burned, sure, hit me with the opiates. As my body heals, ideally I should lean more on non narcotics (Advil, CBD I suppose). And then hopefully nothing. I was an alcoholic for many years. Smoked weed (in addition to the booze) for a few years. Minus some slips, I've been sober for 4+ years. I can't judge people who are lost and broken and self-medicating. I just no longer believe the lie that there's anything "good" about them. All drugs, including caffeine, is just supposed to get you through emergent situations. We are supposed to heal, and in the process of healing, shed those things.