Martial Arts General

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Sparring is great fun, but also seems to be a great source of anxiety, at least until you get into it. The chances of sustaining any sort of injury from it is extremely low, because the pace is set by mutual feedback. As a rule, higher rank/more experienced fighter sets the pace, at a level appropriate for their partner. Nobody wants to beat up on noobs, and if they consistently do, they in turn will get beaten up on, and likely quit. Bullies dont tend to stick around too long because their egos cant take it.

This is how my coach handled it. He rarely broke up sparring rounds, but if you clearly beat up on someone he would pair you with someone clearly better than you next time and let them beat up on you. Eventually everyone sees that the best way to train is to go with the flow, focus on technique, and not paint a target on yourself.

Sparring with people clearly lower level than you doesn't help you improve much, though it's a chance to experiment a little more. The best fun and most productive sparring rounds were always with people about equal or a little bit higher skill level.

SeaEagle

Robin
Catholic
I've been having great difficulty getting to sleep after my boxing class. Im fairly new to sparring which might be part of it? The class runs right up until my usual bedtime. I get like 4 hours of sleep if I'm lucky.

Does this fade with time? I can't afford to be groggy at work or I might get killed by machinery.

fortyfive

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I've been having great difficulty getting to sleep after my boxing class. Im fairly new to sparring which might be part of it? The class runs right up until my usual bedtime. I get like 4 hours of sleep if I'm lucky.

You can't sleep because of too much of the excitement you experienced from the fight. The rush of adrenaline and so on.
You get used to it later, just keep fighting.
Before going to sleep read something to calm your mind.

And avoid any discussion with any woman after 9.30 pm. I noticed that's when they like to start a heated conversation about what's wrong with me.

square_it

Pigeon
Protestant
I had to learn how to fight when I was younger, and martial arts literally saved me in many occasions. I'd recommend grappling arts such as wrestling, bjj, or judo. Striking arts, when trained for real, generally have too much risk of damage to the brain.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
I had to learn how to fight when I was younger, and martial arts literally saved me in many occasions. I'd recommend grappling arts such as wrestling, bjj, or judo. Striking arts, when trained for real, generally have too much risk of damage to the brain.

Would recommend getting a competent base in striking as well but that doesn't mean you have to regularly spar full force unless you plan on competing (and if you're at a gym that insist hobbyists do so, especially if you're older than about 30, find another gym)

Optimus Princeps

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Cool idea, but TravelerKai's old thread and original data sheet (possibly the best on the topic I've ever seen) might be better for referencing and posting:

https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/travelerkai’s-martial-arts-datasheet.28150/
I did not know about this, thanks!

Kiwi

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer

Does this fade with time? I can't afford to be groggy at work or I might get killed by machinery.

I think that means you're heavily engaged mentally and physically, you're in the right place. Don't run from it. Now you need to find a balance and make it work.

The same thing happened with me. Not with martial arts, but something where I started classes after work in the evening with something I felt completely absorbed with and completely align with who I am. I couldn't sleep, dropped coffee and everything...Mine was more mental, I could not switch my brain off at night and the next day on the job was a mess.

I don't necessarily work a boring job, it is always different, but the level of engagement was night and day.
Only stop if the physical becomes detrimental to you being able to earn a living, or safety.

Give it time.

Cosmic Meatball

Pigeon
Gnostic or New Age
As much as I disagree with Rogan on a lot of things, I do like this quote by him.

In middle school I was very weak, mentally and physically. And I don't blame myself as I had no role models or structure to help develop me into a man. I started wrestling in 8th grade and slowly transformed. I became stronger mentally, physically, more confident, and calmer. I learned a lot about myself and what my body and mind are capable of. I experienced comradery, brotherhood, adversity, failure, and achievement. "One you wrestle, everything else in life is easy."

I am starting this thread for men to post anything martial arts/combat sports related. After wrestling I had dabbled a bit in BJJ and am now about to learn Muay Thai and possibly join an MMA gym. I think it is primal for us men to enjoy fighting and it is not only a healthy outlet for that, but also is good for physical health, confidence, personal development, and also likely a good men's space to develop friendships with red-pilled, masculine men.

With the talk going around that Orthodox men should not work out due to vanity or temptation from women, I think this thread would be a welcome change to remind us that while modern gyms may have some downsides, physical fitness and exercise in the most primal ways is without a doubt Godly. We were gifted physical bodies by God, and just like Orthodox worship with their whole body, it is best also to keep that body healthy with regular exercise. I beleive especially in this day and age, this type of physical strain is very much needed for us men. So feel free to discuss what martial arts you've done or are currently doing, opinions on the best ones, best for self-defense, etc.. If anyone's done muay thai in particular I'd love to hear what you thought of it, as I've never done striking before and am excited to learn it.

I have also been following Charles Oliveira and enjoying his recent fights, I think he had been underrated for a while. If he fights Islam I am confident he will handily beat him and would even beat Khabib if he came out of retirement. Just look at some of those standing RNC's he does, he is a real treat to watch and has a pretty inspiring story with major health issues as a kid and growing up in the slums of Brazil.

Awesome thread. I absolutely agree with you about MMA being a necessary discipline for personal development. I even mentioned in another thread about Christian Masculinity that martial arts are necessary for your own self defence and for the protection of those you love.

Some people may see mindless barbarism when they watch a UFC fight with these guys beating the crap out of each other. But what I see is something completely different. I see it as a physical contest of skill and almost akin to a chess game where your repertoire of martial arts skills serve as your chess pieces.

I have done a few years of Muey Thai and really developed my fighting ability in a short space of time. Martial arts became a healthy outlet for me, compared to drinking booze or smoking pot or even wasting time playing video games, which are all just forms of escapism.