Get a Labrador Retriever!!!
Beautiful. Friggin. Dogs. This is what I currently have. My father purchased our Chocolate Lab, two months before he passed away. It's like he knew he was going to pass away and left the dog with use to ease the pain, to help us redirect out anger and sadness and transmutate it into happiness and love towards a new life. He was successful. Our dog has been a big part of our lives, we celebrate his birthday (it's actually a day after mine, go figure), he's called out to wedding functions when we go and everyone loves him.
Labs are very intelligent, loyal, strong temperament and agile dogs. They do have a lot of energy so two walks a day, half hour to 45 mins each day should be enough. They get along with children just fine and are protective as well. They tend to gain weight quick so watch how you feed them and they are prone to all the other ailments that affect larger dog breeds, it comes with the package.
Please, if you are getting a dog, have the mindset that YOU WILL NOT return it or put it up for adoption. This is a gift from God and it is your duty to fulfill. The dog will add nothing but happiness, love, responsibility, accountability, respect and loyalty into your life. Make sure you put the effort in training the dog as well, you will be the dogs friend but it's more important to be the LEADER of the pack. My mom and sister spoil our dog, I'm the "bad guy" since I discipline him, but it's all out of love.
Dog breeds that I prefer are (in no particular order except Labs being # 1):
- Labs (Chocolate labs are said to have shorter life spans. What I have noticed is this: White labs = calm and maintain professional skepticism, black labs = a bit more aggresive and self kept, chocolate labs = complete goof balls that have a plethora of emotions and energy bursts and fox red labs are the cool kids haha
- German Shepherds: Loyal, intelligent, protective and bad ass. Something you will know is around the house making its rounds
- Bernese Mountain dogs: Good companions, friendly,loving and quick learners.
- Golden Retreivers: They are Labs, just more mellow and friendly.
- Rottweilers: Not as vicious as people think. Takes a real authoritative person to train them, if you have that in you they are soft and friendly but know when to strike on command
- Dalmatians: Good solid dogs, they're unique and make good guard dogs. Friendly and loyal and very athletic