Masks now required in church (even though it's not a legal requirement)

MartyMcFly

Woodpecker
I think we have become less risk-tolerant as a society because we have less faith in God (we=society as a whole). Many people don't even believe in an afterlife and this makes them fear death more. If you trust in God and believe in a better afterlife, you will not be paranoid about a disease that has an extremely low chance of killing you.

In Afghanistan, I saw people are not as focused on safety regulations and I think this is because they have more faith in God than average westerners. My attitude is fairly similar. If God wants me to die, I will die. If he wants me to live, I will live.

I am fine if people want to wear a mask. However, forcing people to attend a church service wearing a mask symbolizes the church leaders don't have 100% faith in God. The church could record the service and post it online (and loan out flash drives with the recorded service for those without internet access if this is requested) for those that are afraid of catching viruses from fellow members. This seems like a win-win option that is easy to do and should satisfy everyone.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
I am fine if people want to wear a mask. However, forcing people to attend a church service wearing a mask symbolizes the church leaders don't have 100% faith in God. The church could record the service and post it online (and loan out flash drives with the recorded service for those without internet access if this is requested) for those that are afraid of catching viruses from fellow members. This seems like a win-win option that is easy to do and should satisfy everyone.

One of the questions I asked my priest during our first meeting was about masks and mask mandates. He strongly opposed wearing them, especially in church, but also said it's the only thing keeping many of the elderly attending. His logic was that faith falls apart when you stop going altogether, and that by strengthening faith through regular attendance, the mask would inevitably come off at some point.

It's a very tough situation to be in for a priest so I have sympathy. A decision either way keeps some people attending, and pushes others out. I respected that his top priority was keeping his parish in communion through the Eucharist. Most people aren't plugged in to the things we are, and it requires a lot of long-term effort to undo the manipulation.

Basilus of Moro

Sparrow
Orthodox
If there is no other Church or monastery for you to attend, you can listen outside, or refuse to wear a mask.

EDIT: I should add that I recently attended a parish where most people were voluntarily wearing masks (I did not realize that this would be the case beforehand), even a priest, and everyone else in the altar. My heart raced wildly, and I felt great sorrow at the sight. I really could not be there, and will not return.

MartyMcFly

Woodpecker
One of the questions I asked my priest during our first meeting was about masks and mask mandates. He strongly opposed wearing them, especially in church, but also said it's the only thing keeping many of the elderly attending. His logic was that faith falls apart when you stop going altogether, and that by strengthening faith through regular attendance, the mask would inevitably come off at some point.

It's a very tough situation to be in for a priest so I have sympathy. A decision either way keeps some people attending, and pushes others out. I respected that his top priority was keeping his parish in communion through the Eucharist. Most people aren't plugged in to the things we are, and it requires a lot of long-term effort to undo the manipulation.
If masks keep the elderly safe, why do they fear other people who are not wearing them? If they are very scared, the priest could suggest they just wear 2-3 masks and attend the service or perhaps there could be bi-weekly services for masked and unmasked as a compromise.

When priests try to force others to be penalized to accommodate 'special people', it creates a weak church. There are ministers that want to attract homosexuals and bisexuals as well and they put out the flag and preach 'tolerance' and 'acceptance' and all this does is push serious people away and weaken the church.

Maybe I am tough for comparing paranoid elders to people with unusual sexual preferences, but both groups want to force the church (and all its members) to change to accommodate them. These elderly people (along with too many young people as well) weren't paranoid for many years when the flu virus was killing thousands annually, what made them change?! Why don't they just accept that it is God's will whether they die or not?

Parmesan

Woodpecker
When priests try to force others to be penalized to accommodate 'special people', it creates a weak church. There are ministers that want to attract homosexuals and bisexuals as well and they put out the flag and preach 'tolerance' and 'acceptance' and all this does is push serious people away and weaken the church.
This is an excellent point, and I think you could say the same thing about any organization and even society as a whole. Woke organizations, governments, and corporations are increasingly run and staffed by these leftover, weak, incompetent people, who only institute more policies to attract their own. Where the “real” men and women have gone, I’m not entirely sure, but they’ve certainly been mostly chased out of these institutions.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Nice passive aggressive thumbs down, get2choppaa, why don't you quantify your little click with an actual explanation of which part of my post you didn't like and why?

As others have correctly stated, your cavalier and incorrect attitude about the sign of respect afforded a priest for kissing their hand is the reason for my thumbs down.

Also if you're going to get that upset over a thumbs down on the internet from a stranger when you've been here for roughly 1 week...... This is going to be a rough ride.

As far as the masks go. I would see what you can find in the way of Churches that are less concerned with the Rona restrictions.

Ultimately if it was my only option I would still probably go as opposed to not go at all... But it would be challenging I admit.

jeffinjapan

Sparrow
Orthodox
If masks keep the elderly safe, why do they fear other people who are not wearing them? If they are very scared, the priest could suggest they just wear 2-3 masks and attend the service or perhaps there could be bi-weekly services for masked and unmasked as a compromise.

Maybe I am tough for comparing paranoid elders to people with unusual sexual preferences, but both groups want to force the church (and all its members) to change to accommodate them. These elderly people (along with too many young people as well) weren't paranoid for many years when the flu virus was killing thousands annually, what made them change?! Why don't they just accept that it is God's will whether they die or not
Wearing a mask is and always has been an option at my Church with 99% percent choosing not to wear one. The only ones who did mask up were usually Japanese and military parishioners. But eventually even they began to not wear them. The option of wearing or not not wearing a mask is the only acceptable compromise.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member

Maybe I am tough for comparing paranoid elders to people with unusual sexual preferences, but both groups want to force the church (and all its members) to change to accommodate them. These elderly people (along with too many young people as well) weren't paranoid for many years when the flu virus was killing thousands annually, what made them change?! Why don't they just accept that it is God's will whether they die or not?

They're just old people. They don't read reactionary forums or medical studies, the most they do is watch the local news for an hour with a warm glass of milk. The fire and brimstone approach works for people like us with youth and energy and zeal, but they're creatures of habit in most things, set in their ways. If allowing them to wear a mask means they can still receive the body and blood of Christ in the few years they have remaining, is it that big of a problem?

I have a soft spot for the elderly and always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, as frustrating as it can be in the realm of politics. They've been conditioned from birth by demonic psychopaths (much like regular normies), and it takes a lot of patience/effort to help them find their way. Many are very lonely and suffering emotionally.

Just trying to frame things from their perspective. Mandates are obviously horrible, but we can inform and fight back with a sense of mercy for those who simply don't know any better. Like the poster above said, allowing masks but not forcing them is a good compromise.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Woodpecker
They're just old people. They don't read reactionary forums or medical studies, the most they do is watch the local news for an hour with a warm glass of milk. The fire and brimstone approach works for people like us with youth and energy and zeal, but they're creatures of habit in most things, set in their ways. If allowing them to wear a mask means they can still receive the body and blood of Christ in the few years they have remaining, is it that big of a problem?

I have a soft spot for the elderly and always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, as frustrating as it can be in the realm of politics. They've been conditioned from birth by demonic psychopaths (much like regular normies), and it takes a lot of patience/effort to help them find their way. Many are very lonely and suffering emotionally.

Just trying to frame things from their perspective. Mandates are obviously horrible, but we can inform and fight back with a sense of mercy for those who simply don't know any better. Like the poster above said, allowing masks but not forcing them is a good compromise.
The problem is that many of them want to take my right NOT to wear a mask away from me. Of course, I am considered the 'selfish' one for telling them they can wear a mask if they want and I should be allowed to not wear a mask if I want. I never stated that it is wrong for them to wear a mask if they choose. I guess you can say I am pro-choice.

I know some people are more vulnerable than others. It is funny they can't do simple math. If they believe that they wear a mask and I wear a mask creates more safety, why can't they wear 2 masks in case the other fellow is not wearing a mask. The protection would then be the exact same (2 walls of protection either way).

The church could have the elderly sit on the opposite side of the church as another way they can be safer from the unmasked.