Masks Protect Against CV19 Transmission

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member

MIT: "The iMASC is a clear rubber mask that covers the nose and mouth, with a nose bridge and two nylon elastic straps that go around the head. The fit was based on the 3M 1860 respirator, a particular style of N95 mask that’s commonly used by healthcare providers."

Called the iMASC, which stands for Injection Molded Autoclavable, Scalable, Conformable, this design could help solve shortage issues.

The new iMASC system can also be sterilized a few different ways without sacrificing its effectiveness, the researchers wrote in a paper published in the British Medical Journal Open. For example, researchers were able to use a steam sterilizer on the masks, put the masks in an oven, as well as soak them in both bleach and rubbing alcohol. (Treating used N95 masks with hydrogen peroxide disinfectants to neutralize any viruses requires special equipment and takes a few days. It also only allows the masks to be re-worn for one day at a time, up to 20 more times.)

The iMASC researchers “wanted to maximize the reusability of the system,” Giovanni Traverso, an MIT assistant professor of mechanical engineering and a gastroenterologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, said in a press release.

The new mask could also be more environmentally-friendly — it uses less disposable material, which produces much less waste than tossing a whole mask, Adam Wentworth, a research engineer at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a research affiliate at the Koch Institute, said in a press release.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
I really liked the bubble boy helmet that guy made from a water cooler bottle.

Speaking of helmets, just wear a motorcycle helmet with full face shield like The Stig.

Anybody know if the numbers on other airborne illnesses are up or down right now?

With all this mask wearing and hand washing and social distancing shouldn't things like strep throat and the common cold be wiped out?

Aloha!
We'll probably never know, especially now when data is nothing more than a political weapon.

I remember watching one of Governor Cuomo's early covid streams. There was a chart that was put up during his live stream that showed the number of respiratory illness fatalities in Q1 of the last few years vs Q1 of 2020. TLDR the chart indicated a slow increase of respiratory illness fatalities from 2017-2019, but magically in Q1 2020 these illnesses stopped being fatal and magically covid swooped in and continued the trend with the utmost precision.

This visualization has been all but scrubbed from the internet. Maybe a member of this forum had the foresight to screenshot this if they saw it.

Sisyphus

Robin
Inspired by my brief foray into the literature yesterday, I decided to do a little more digging into the issue of masks. I should start by saying that I used no tools other than internet searching – this is to say that the information is publicly available and no special skills or background is needed to acquire and interpret it. Don’t take my word for it - I will provide links to the articles so you can weigh the arguments on your own.

The key argument is summarized by Martin et al:

Martin et al. said:
Public communication about the scientific view of the risks and benefits of widespread uptake of face masks has exceeded the evidence. A lay summary of the evidence for face masks authored by Greenhalgh and Howard declares simply that “the science says yes” to masks. Alongside Greenhalgh’s analysis piece, the principal source for this claim is an unreviewed literature review with very limited methods, susceptible to bias. Such unequivocal advocacy for face masks risks overstepping current knowledge and promoting policy change based more on eminence than evidence.
https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/369/bmj.m2017.full.pdf

This is a fancy way of saying that there are no randomized control tests which account for confounding variables that offer any evidence of efficacy of full masking. In fact, it’s essentially impossible to conduct a study of this nature.

In a longer article, the same authors discuss the various drawbacks, both physical and psychological, to full masking:

https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv/uyzxe/

Here are some key quotes from Szarpak et al. 2020 who actually advocate for wearing masks:

Szarpak et al. said:
Laboratory tests showed the penetration of particles through the cloth masks to be very high (97%) compared with medical masks (44%). A consequence of the above penetration is also a higher risk of critical care illness, the influenza-like illness is more significant in the cloth mask group than in the medical mask. Moreover, the rate of confirmation of laboratory-confirmed viruses was also much higher for cloth masks than for medical masks or groups that did not wear any mask.

The physical properties of a cloth mask, reuse, the frequency and effectiveness of cleaning, and increased moisture retention, may potentially increase the infection risk, since, as it indicated by Osterholm et al. [7] the virus may survive on the surface of the face-masks. In this context self-contamination through repeated use and improper doffing is possible. Observations during SARS suggested double-masking and other practices increased the risk of infection because of moisture, liquid diffusion and pathogen retention
https://journals.viamedica.pl/cardiology_journal/article/view/CJ.a2020.0054

Here’s the link to MacIntyre et al. 2015, which the authors summarized as follows:

MacIntyre et al. said:
This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.

Let people say whatever they want and make any emotional argument they please, but be aware that any arguments put forth in favor of cloth masks or bandanas, even if made by physicians or so-called experts, are not based on rigorous, controlled, reproducible studies i.e. sound science. Even “medical masks” and N95 respirators only work if properly fitted and used correctly (i.e. not touched or fiddled with constantly). If someone wishes to provide evidence for masks having some benefit from a study with sound methods including large sample sizes and accounting for confounding variables, then I’ll gladly change my stance. That doesn’t include unscientific nonsense such as:

bucky

Pelican
Inspired by my brief foray into the literature yesterday, I decided to do a little more digging into the issue of masks. I should start by saying that I used no tools other than internet searching – this is to say that the information is publicly available and no special skills or background is needed to acquire and interpret it. Don’t take my word for it - I will provide links to the articles so you can weigh the arguments on your own.

The key argument is summarized by Martin et al:

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/369/bmj.m2017.full.pdf

This is a fancy way of saying that there are no randomized control tests which account for confounding variables that offer any evidence of efficacy of full masking. In fact, it’s essentially impossible to conduct a study of this nature.

In a longer article, the same authors discuss the various drawbacks, both physical and psychological, to full masking:

https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv/uyzxe/

Here are some key quotes from Szarpak et al. 2020 who actually advocate for wearing masks:

https://journals.viamedica.pl/cardiology_journal/article/view/CJ.a2020.0054

Here’s the link to MacIntyre et al. 2015, which the authors summarized as follows:

Let people say whatever they want and make any emotional argument they please, but be aware that any arguments put forth in favor of cloth masks or bandanas, even if made by physicians or so-called experts, are not based on rigorous, controlled, reproducible studies i.e. sound science. Even “medical masks” and N95 respirators only work if properly fitted and used correctly (i.e. not touched or fiddled with constantly). If someone wishes to provide evidence for masks having some benefit from a study with sound methods including large sample sizes and accounting for confounding variables, then I’ll gladly change my stance. That doesn’t include unscientific nonsense such as:

Counterpoint: but the tv told me masks work and only bad people like KKK members and Trump supporters don't wear them.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I'm worried my gym is going to do the same thing, but it seems like less than 10% of people there wear masks so that would seem to be an ill-advised move that would piss off everyone who doesn't don the face diaper, leading to a lot of membership cancelations.

Sandstorm

Woodpecker
I'm surprised to see most filipinos wearing masks. They seem eager to comply with any authority.
Masks are a waste of time in a village where nobody is infected. I resent the mask and proximity rules here in the Philippines. I have to slip it on to enter a cafe or grocery store, then I put in back in my pocket. No problem.
Exactly - I've never lived among a people more obedient to authority than Filipinos. They will literally do whatever they are told to do, even if it makes ZERO sense.

La Águila Negra

Kingfisher
Exactly - I've never lived among a people more obedient to authority than Filipinos. They will literally do whatever they are told to do, even if it makes ZERO sense.
Filipinos have a slave mentality. They desire to impress their masters, who they also secretly despise. Like pet dogs with a vicious edge

It's one of the reasons so many newcomer foreigners rave about the Filipino people. 'They are so nice to us!'

If only you knew..

The other side of the coin is that, as soon as they deem someone below their status in society, they vigarously start trashing/domineering/humiliating that person

You see scenes here that would make you think you are in feudal Europe again.. Absolutely disgraceful and hard to watch

And then you see the guy receiving this disrespectful treatment all smiley and 'yes po, thank you po!' and you think to yourself 'maybe he deserves it..'

A slave doesn't question his master

Sandstorm

Woodpecker
and according to Dr. Judy Mikovits, an N95 mask (named N95 because it only blocks 95% of pathogens) is designed to protect surgeons from BACTERIA, not anyone from viruses. Viruses are so small they can easily pass through an N95 mask, so the masks/bandanas people wear, are a literal fucking joke.

kel

Pelican
I've been wanting to build a home gym like that (and as gyms go belly up I bet I can get some decent deals) but I live in an apartment and don't really want to move that stuff if I can avoid it. Also my downstairs neighbors might not appreciate me deadlifting. Still, it's tempting.

Pendleton

Pigeon
Spittle? Yes, if the alternative is spitting or coughing directly in people's faces, a mask is preferable. I instead simply carry a tissue or handkerchief and cover my mouth when I sneeze, as I have always done.

Pendleton

Pigeon
There has been lots of studies coming out recently showing that masks do in fact help stop the spread of the virus if not stop it completely. They look at Japan and South Korea as examples of a countries who did not stop their economies at all, but upwards of 90%+ of their people were required to wear masks when going out in public and so far they have had about 1000 dead for Japan and 287 deaths for South Korea compared to our 135,000. So masks do in fact work.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/grim-photos-show-how-easily-22277577

The Japanese have been testing almost no one. And given the Japanese custom of people pulling down their masks so they can wipe their noses with their hands, I tend to doubt the masks as actually used are effective.

I researched masks online back in 2019 before it became a political issue simply because I was living in Japan and wondered whether their mask wearing had any scientific basic. I could not find a single article in English arguing that masks were effective.

But I think masks are useful for Japanese, given their unusual customs (not covering mouths or turning heads when coughing, wiping noses with their hands, compulsive touching of faces, etc.).

Last edited: