Massive internet outage

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Wow this is big. I just got a push message from a news site that globally there have been massive website outages today with major disrupting effects. They're practicing their global outage system right now, there's no other way.

Much of the internet has stopped working amid a widespread outage across different apps and websites.

Airlines including Delta, online stores such as Amazon, games including Call of Duty, streaming services such as HBO Max and a range of banks were unavailable, according to tracking website Down Detector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Wild stuff

The Internet has been hit by a mystery global outage

SUCH A MYSTERY

budoslavic

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member

E66nv34WYAgkAsw

GuitarVH

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Wow this is big. I just got a push message from a news site that globally there have been massive website outages today with major disrupting effects. They're practicing their global outage system right now, there's no other way.

Much of the internet has stopped working amid a widespread outage across different apps and websites.

Airlines including Delta, online stores such as Amazon, games including Call of Duty, streaming services such as HBO Max and a range of banks were unavailable, according to tracking website Down Detector.

Klaus the dirtbag has struck just as promised. On behalf of his psycho bosses.

M'bare

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Nothing to see here. It was only told to us straight up back in July of last year by WEF as others have posted. These are their stress test I'm sure that they worked out in the cyber polygon.

Better get cold storage for your crypto folks and stock up on other essentials. I'd be surprised if stores even took dollars if there were a major outage.

Ahh yes but we're just conspiracy theorist.

Elipe

Pelican
The outage was with Akamai, which is used by many large sites but not all of them. My company uses a different provider for the same service and we stayed up without interruption.
This is the other reason I'm opposed to cloud tech. Being on the cloud means that if the cloud goes out, you're out too, and since everybody uses the cloud, the cloud going out means everybody is out.

The answer is decentralization, and cloud is the wrong direction from that.

paninaro

Pelican
This is the other reason I'm opposed to cloud tech. Being on the cloud means that if the cloud goes out, you're out too, and since everybody uses the cloud, the cloud going out means everybody is out.

The answer is decentralization, and cloud is the wrong direction from that.

It's definitely a trade-off. My company does both depending on the data. The issue is, if something breaks on the stuff we maintain at 11pm on a Saturday, it's 30 minutes just to get someone to drive to the datacenter to start to fix. With cloud, they have people on-site at all times maintaining things, so they usually get things up again faster.

Also if you use a cloud provider used by the big guys, then you can explain the outage better to your customers. "Sure, we were down but it was a widespread outage, even Netflix was down." and they understand better.