Meat eating / Vegetarianism in the current world

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
Yep. That is a lot of these fitness models. They have to dabble with these things sometimes.
It's all of them, along with all professional athletes and all movie actors/pop musicians.

Unless a man is between the ages of 15-25, he cannot get a six pack or super-defined, super-cut muscles. That's because of metabolism + testosterone; the high metabolism of adloescent/young adult burns off all excess calories/fat fast enough to show the abs while the male hormone testosterone allows muscles to become that defined.

Bu as men age, their metabolism slows down, and past at least 25 they need to add cardio to reduce the fat covering the muscles.

However, as most bodybuilders learn, the increase in cardio causes a decrease in muscle definition, e.g. Sean Connery quit bodybuilding because he didn't want to stop playing soccer on the weekends, and he realized if he didn't stop he would not be able to compete with guys who solely concentrated on bodybuilding, since their muscles would be more defined.

In otherwords, anyone man walking around with six-pack abs or looking super cut and is past 25 is on the juice.

It's even worse for women---no woman can have six pack abs or defined muscles naturally, because they lack the testosterone to create it. So if you see a woman sporting six-pack abs or anything more than lithe muscle, she's definitely on PEDs.

It's sad I have to write this. Most people understood this in the past. But these days Hollyweird pushes crazy body ideas on both men and women.

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
Americans are obsessed with getting enough protein, but have you ever met anybody in your life who had a protein deficiency? Me neither.

Plants -- beans, legumes, quinoa, dark greens (spinach, broccoli, etc.), etc. -- are loaded with all the protein you need to build muscle.

This guy eats nothing but plants:

Tw0wKQB.jpg
He also has the IQ of bean dip.

Humans are omnivores, not herbivores.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I'd buy that the musclebound guy in that picture in post #17 is vegan, but I find it very hard to believe he's not also on gear.
Hey testosterone sourced from yams is totes magotes vegan right?

It's all of them, along with all professional athletes and all movie actors/pop musicians.

Unless a man is between the ages of 15-25, he cannot get a six pack or super-defined, super-cut muscles. That's because of metabolism + testosterone; the high metabolism of adloescent/young adult burns off all excess calories/fat fast enough to show the abs while the male hormone testosterone allows muscles to become that defined.

Bu as men age, their metabolism slows down, and past at least 25 they need to add cardio to reduce the fat covering the muscles.
Yes many athletes and hollywood are on peds. Many athletes are also genetic freaks of nature. I believe it was hershel walker who never lifted weights but did push ups and hill sprints and was built like a tank. That's genetic.

That being said testosterone is both androgenic and lypolitic... So yes it will build muscle and burn fat. Lp

Hugh Jackman in the wolverine did an intense work out routine and a dehydration phase for shooting certain scenes. He also probably used diuretics and was already at a low body fat coupled with probably trt and a personal chef and trainer.

In otherwords, anyone man walking around with six-pack abs or looking super cut and is past 25 is on the juice.
Not necessarily. They could just be really attentive to their diet... If they are walking around at sub 6 percent all year... Probably on the sauce... But most people have no idea on how to gauge bodyfat.

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
Hey testosterone sourced from yams is totes magotes vegan right?

Yes many athletes and hollywood are on peds. Many athletes are also genetic freaks of nature. I believe it was hershel walker who never lifted weights but did push ups and hill sprints and was built like a tank. That's genetic.

That being said testosterone is both androgenic and lypolitic... So yes it will build muscle and burn fat. Lp

Hugh Jackman in the wolverine did an intense work out routine and a dehydration phase for shooting certain scenes. He also probably used diuretics and was already at a low body fat coupled with probably trt and a personal chef and trainer.

Not necessarily. They could just be really attentive to their diet... If they are walking around at sub 6 percent all year... Probably on the sauce... But most people have no idea on how to gauge bodyfat.
Hugh Jackman was so definitely on PEDs, its not even a question. When you're past 40 and looking as jacked as he was in the last two entries in the Wolverine series, you're taking mega doses. There's even a meme online where they show him shirtless in the first X-men movie versus the last wolverine movie, and he's gotten more jacked/taut, which is impossible given how much older he got in between.

As to the Herchel Walker/Bo Jackson guys---yes, I believe some of them were not using, but if you look at their bodies, they were simply very muscular, not bodybuilding cut like today.

It seems like industrial, affordable meat-eating causes unnecessary exposure to toxic hormones, antibiotics, and other weird chemicals. On the other hand, there are stereotypes on the internet about how soy, fake meat, and other products are also bad for the human body.

What do you guys think? What is your "solution" to the conundrum of modern health and meat eating?

BTW, I did some cursory searches on this forum and could not find related threads. If you happen to know anything, please post here.

Well the solution is to eat organic meat. Weird question.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm not a big workout=protein guy I'm big enough as it is and not trying to gain weight/mass but I couldn't even imagine how much romaine lettuce I would have to eat to keep from losing muscle working out!
Protein will keep you slim while carbohydrates will make you fat, even if you are sitting around doing nothing all day.
So it's good for you whether you are working out or not. (I say "good" from the perspective of a vegan eating no meats and dairy and therefore very little protein. Obviously one can eat a very unhealthy meat heavy diet).

The vegan diet is high carb. A balanced diet is important, but most people are eating too many carbohydrates, particularly if they eat any processed foods.

While there are downsides to eating "too much" of both fats and carbs, I have found little evidence for consuming too much dietary protein.

bucky

Ostrich
Protein will keep you slim while carbohydrates will make you fat, even if you are sitting around doing nothing all day.
So it's good for you whether you are working out or not. (I say "good" from the perspective of a vegan eating no meats and dairy and therefore very little protein. Obviously one can eat a very unhealthy meat heavy diet).

The vegan diet is high carb. A balanced diet is important, but most people are eating too many carbohydrates, particularly if they eat any processed foods.

While there are downsides to eating "too much" of both fats and carbs, I have found little evidence for consuming too much dietary protein.
Vegans claim that the body processes plant-based protein much more efficiently, therefore you don't need as much protein on a vegan diet. I know, I know. Vegans aren't the most objective people in the world, but you can actually get a fair amount of protein from things like peas, flax, and hemp. I was going to say that back when I was attempting to be vegan I actually got quite ripped and muscular on an almost 100% plant-based diet, but then I remembered that in addition to having some eggs or cheese once every few weeks, I cheated with whey protein bars here and there. So, thinking back, I may have been even less vegan at the time than I thought I was.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
To me the main reason
Vegans claim that the body processes plant-based protein much more efficiently, therefore you don't need as much protein on a vegan diet.
Yes,vegans can obtain "sufficient" dietary protein (fat needed for fat soluble vitamins is another question), but since carb + protein + fat = total calories, any time you reduce one leg of the triangle you are increasing the others. When I'm eating meat, it's in large part because I am choosing to have a low carb meal. I am not seeking protein, but avoiding carbohydrates.

I've found that particularly as I age and am less active, eating carbohydrates, which are a good fast twitch muscle fuel, is a bad idea if you are not using / burning that energy right away through physical activity.

I was in a vegan social group for a while and blown away by how many fat people there were. Eating a low fat high carb diet does that.

CSFurious

Pigeon
Americans are obsessed with getting enough protein, but have you ever met anybody in your life who had a protein deficiency? Me neither.

Plants -- beans, legumes, quinoa, dark greens (spinach, broccoli, etc.), etc. -- are loaded with all the protein you need to build muscle.

This guy eats nothing but plants:

Tw0wKQB.jpg
the animal also has a special digestive system that you lack

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member

That's not what I was referring to, I was saying that I'm not the guy who feels he has to chug protein after every workout or he won't get anything out of it.....that's a myth.

Diocletian

Woodpecker
I don't think veganism could ever really become a world-wide phenomenon. After all, huge portions of many countries--such as the US-- are unsuitable for growing crops, but are just fine for grazing. It would also preclude organic farming--you would have to use enormous amounts of pesticides and fertilizers to produce sufficient quantities of food to feed humanity.

If veganism is predicated on the ethical concern of not killing animals, then wouldn't it be worse than raising animals for food? I wonder just how many vermin and insects are killed in the process of raising crops, in sum more animals of any kind are probably killed in plant agriculture than pigs, chickens, etc. are for food.

I remember it wasn't that long ago that people were all up in arms over genetically modified organisms, but that rage seems to have disappeared. What changed?

From the FAQ for the Impossible Burger:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% Or Less Of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant), Soy Protein Isolate, Vitamins and Minerals (Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12).

Genetic engineering is an essential part of our mission and our product. We’ve always embraced the responsible, constructive use of genetic engineering to solve critical environmental, health, safety and food security problems, and have long advocated for responsible use of this technology in the food system. We wouldn’t be able to make a product that rivals or surpasses beef on flavor, texture, nutrition, sustainability, versatility and accessibility without it.

when I examine their[vegan] diets, they eat less salad than I do.
Yeah I've talked with vegan/vegetarian friends/acquaintances, basically salads feel very unfulfilling and don't really sate your hunger. But if you already eat a lot of meat then you aren't as hungry or in need of protein or nutrients. Therefore salad is much more of a meat eating/meat heavy omnivore thing than a vegan or perhaps even a vegetarian thing.