Meat eating / Vegetarianism in the current world

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I would advise using whole milk and then cutting it with water to a mix of 70% milk and 30% water. This will save you money and reduce calories as well and you get the same taste as using skim milk. I sometimes do this when I make tomato soup or oatmeal.
Curious never thought to water down whole milk this way. That's effectively what skim is. Fridge estate is tight and kiddos drink whole. This will save me space.

LacyUnderalls

Chicken
Non-Christian
Our ancestors did not know farming before they knew hunting.

You should treat your meat the same way as you treat your vegies; knowing where it comes from.

Only meat or only veggies is absurd, God gave us the gift of being able to digest both.
Actually we don’t have intestines long enough to digest veggies. Rabbits, however, do. If you eat vegetables you’ve got dead bacteria sitting in your colon for 4 hours or more. Meat is emulsified before leaving the stomach within an hour. You’ve also got stinky poo and have more flatulence. Carnivores have almost no flatulence.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
How about a little more discussion on the "MEAT EATING" part of this thread, which is what I'm very interested in.
I don't think we need to attack the vegan diet anymore.
Criticizing vegans is like attacking SJWs. Everyone outside the cult knows they are wrong, and it's very easy to critique them.

Is there any merit to a meat heavy (as in more than half your food coming from meats) diet?

As far as more than half of your calories, I think you could be fine with 30 to 40% of your calories provided the rest of your diet is not overly processed.

Meat and by extension fat are clean sources of fuel and vital building blocks for the body to repair itself.

I got my buddy and his wife to start eating at least 1 lb of meat each per day. They generally eat garbage like hotpockets and whatever else. Two weeks later he came back to me, they each lost at least 10 lbs and their chronic pain was gone. Real food is real medicine it seems.

I eat at least a pound of meat per day, more when I can afford it. I also tend to go through a half pound to a pound of butter per week and I do all my cooking with clarified butter. As a result, in spite of a decade of smoking a pack a day of cigarettes and getting blackout drunk on a weekly basis (I have since ceased all consumption of those chemicals, even caffeine) I have yet to get a cavity as an adult and I am in my thirties. I also heal from minor injuries, cuts scrapes sprains etc, in days instead of weeks and I have had some pretty bad injuries. The last bad injury I crushed my foot in a trailer at work, popped the toenails right off and I was back walking on it two weeks later without so much as a limp. I have never broken a bone so I can't tell you if it would accelerate healing of broken bones, but I imagine it would.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
You know one of the forerunners of modern Veganism. Harvey Kellogg:

Kellogg became fascinated with the concept of "Biologic Living."

He viewed the body as a "living temple" and embodied a religious lifestyle that encouraged veganism, prohibition, and sexual abstinence.

He considered participation of these three "vices" to be self-pollution.
John Harvey was disgusted by sex his entire life and never consummated his own marriage.

He fostered 42 children with his wife but never had any biological children.

He had some bizarre violent ideas about sex such as sewing a man's penis to prevent erections.

Bizarre.

The most Carb-heavy diet that currently populates our shelves. Insulin mania. Was invented by a Vegan Gnostic Freak.

Even Sex and sexual desire within marriage is considered Lust in his eyes.

Bruno_Williamson

Banned
Other Christian
When man is perfect again and brought back into God's grace in the fullest sense, meat eating will no longer be necessary.

" And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And he took it, and did eat before them." Luke 24:41-43

" As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.... Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine.... Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise." John 21:9-13

If something is plentiful, go ahead and eat it.

" And the same John had his raiment of camel’s hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey." Matthew 3:4

Interesting that both Jesus and John ate animals that we don't sympathize with, fish and locusts (and both ate with honey).

" He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog’s neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine’s blood...." Isaiah 66:3

rodion

Sparrow
Orthodox
The positive testimonies from the large mass of people found in the "Carnivore diet" crowd would seem to indicate many merits.

Can confirm. I did the carnivore diet for several months in order to discover what foods cause me issues. My rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis cleared completely, I felt amazing and got very lean.

I'm not sure about carnivore diet permanently, particularly with orthodox fasts. I found I am able to consume potatoes, rice and oats and be mostly fine but it's bread and white pasta that are a no go. Also, it was doing carnivore that lead me to discover that seed oils completely wreck my digestion

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I think basically anything touched by globalism is tainted, whether its fruit and vegetables sprayed with goodness knows what in order to preserve it for a journey from half way across the globe, or meat injected with antibiotics and raised on terrible food in horrendous conditions.

If you want to be healthy you probably have to source your meat and veg locally, from people who can tell you where it came from and how long it's been sitting there etc. I guess the problem is that the majority of people aren't in a position to afford that because globalism... Basically everything is a mess and they want you sick or dead.

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
I am no medical doctor, but from my experience, I have a suspicion that humans need something found in animal fat. Although poor people in third world countries typically do not consume so much actual meat, they seem to cook vegetarian foods in animal fat when actual meat is not available. The also like to make soups using animal bones.

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
How about a little more discussion on the "MEAT EATING" part of this thread, which is what I'm very interested in.
I don't think we need to attack the vegan diet anymore.
Criticizing vegans is like attacking SJWs. Everyone outside the cult knows they are wrong, and it's very easy to critique them.

Is there any merit to a meat heavy (as in more than half your food coming from meats) diet?
Right now my diet is not as good as it sometimes is. Look forward to the next disciplined phase. At its best is when I'm on the snake diet, starting with an initial fast of up to three days, then switching to one meal a day, or at least a narrower eating window. I manage to keep that going for about a month till I'm happy with what the scales and the mirror are telling me. Actually being in ketosis a section of each day has a good effect on the mind as well.

I keep that eating window oriented towards meat, fish and eggs. When meat, generally red meat - steaks, bacon, game meat. Ocassionally blood pudding. It would definitely be, as you say more than half the calories coming from meat/fish/eggs. Thing is, the other things on my plate are generally broccoli, carrots, tomatoes (perhaps fried in olive oil), maybe a potato or sweet potato with some butter and salt and pepper. Any spices or condiments. There is sometimes a small dessert after.

There is merit to more than half your calories coming from meat/fish/eggs, but in order to achieve that the other 45% can't contain things in a regular diet, no rice, no pasta, definitely no fries, no bread, no sugary soft drinks. Coffee needs to be black and unsweetened. I have small amounts of yogurt when on the diet, the unsweetened kind but with a controlled amount of fruit, honey or nuts added. Maybe every third day, oats for breakfast rather than eggs based, it's healthy even though the paleo people don't like it.

Vegetarianism is a bad idea, and veganism would be a disaster, but the overall quantity you eat can be less and it's not so terrible if there's 16 hour periods of each day without eating. It would just not be optimal, especially if you're not in your 20s anymore, to stuff down a whole lot of extra meat on top of the standard western diet just to make it more than half.

No more seed oils either, Roosh has scared me off it, although was already sceptical.

Frussell

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I am also wondering this. I was raised vegetarian and in my 22 years of life I still haven't eaten any meat. I don't really feel like I've missed out on much though because it's hard to miss something you've never had. Heavy meat diets are interesting to me because they're just so different from my diet and if meat really is extremely healthy for you, I would very much like to know. I really want to do more research into it this and if you find anything let me know!
Liver is one of the most nutrient dense superfoods in the world, look up the benefits of liver and make sure you get a good recipe

vstk

Robin
Catholic
I found I am able to consume potatoes, rice and oats and be mostly fine but it's bread and white pasta that are a no go.
I came to the same conclusion after experimenting quite a lot that it isn't carbs per se that were hurting me. Modern inflammatory grains do (white rice included). But I do perfectly well eating potatoes / sweet potatoes for dinner. It also helps me feel relaxed and sleepy, unlike when I eat red meat only.
The traditional Okinawa diet is very rich in sweet potatoes by the way (like almost 70% of daily calories). It clearly didn't seem to hurt them the way modern wheat based high carbs diets hurt us.

Nordwand

Pelican
Other Christian
I came to the same conclusion after experimenting quite a lot that it isn't carbs per se that were hurting me. Modern inflammatory grains do (white rice included). But I do perfectly well eating potatoes / sweet potatoes for dinner. It also helps me feel relaxed and sleepy, unlike when I eat red meat only.
The traditional Okinawa diet is very rich in sweet potatoes by the way (like almost 70% of daily calories). It clearly didn't seem to hurt them the way modern wheat based high carbs diets hurt us.
I found that I had serious problems with certain pastas and certain bread products. Not really sure what set the offenders apart from other, similar, products.

vstk

Robin
Catholic
I found that I had serious problems with certain pastas and certain bread products. Not really sure what set the offenders apart from other, similar, products.
I experience something similar with dairy (cheeses mostly). I have resorted to eating dairy only on the occasional feast days, no more than once a week, and my body seems happy with that.

Frussell

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Bread you buy is not anything like the bread our ancestors ate. Wheat used to grow the bread you buy is nothing like the wheat our ancestors grew. They didn't have yeast packets either, so all bread was fermented and proofed in order for it to rise. The fermentation process breaks down the gluten (or something like that) making it easier to digest. There also weren't all the factory produced chemicals in any of the bread they ate.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
A question, not just for you, but for everyone: how much more healthy is grass-fed beef than the normal commercially farmed stuff we get in the US? I hear different things and like with everything about nutrition, there doesn't seem to be much agreement.

Late response but not much.

All beef is grass fed. Most commercial beef is grain finished.

Grain finished beef is fattier and more flavorful.

However I would avoid organ meats on commercial cows for regular (like weekly) consumption, those organs filter out all the bad stuff and you probably shouldnt be eating those things.

As far as the flesh is concerned, it is just fine. Cows are huge creatures and their organs do a fine job of filtering out all the toxic stuff, heavy metals and whatever else.

Chickens and other smaller critters on the other hand, might be a better idea to go for a more cage free approach to those.

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
Do you all have a recommendation for a brand of beef jerky? Or does it really not matter which brand from a nutritional standpoint? Or, would you tell me to just avoid all the store-bought jerkies? Do you make your own beef jerky? I am interested in your commentary.

SeaEagle

Robin
Catholic
Do you all have a recommendation for a brand of beef jerky? Or does it really not matter which brand from a nutritional standpoint? Or, would you tell me to just avoid all the store-bought jerkies? Do you make your own beef jerky? I am interested in your commentary.
Homemade is best. Marinade with a mostly soy sauce base with honey/brown sugar/maple syrup, pepper, hot sauce, vinegar, etc. Keep in a jar for a week +, mix daily and dehydrate or smoke.

Its really quite easy once you get into the swing of things. Cleaning the dehydrator is the most tedious part but well worth it.

Store bought is usually too moist and has chemicals/nitrates that aren't necessary.

TCOCBR18

Sparrow
Orthodox
Thank you to both vstk and SeaEagle for the information. I have been enjoying a lot of beef jerky lately, but only from stores. Making my own is now on my agenda.