Memes and gifs that will instantly trigger leftists

Hypno

Crow
17.jpeg

Seadog

Kingfisher
You have to distinguish between limited and unlimited democracy.
Democracy is quite reasonable and useful (and indeed, often used) in a small group defined by common interests & competence.
"Universal" suffrage, on the other hand, is insanity (in the real world it means usurers hiding behind politicians hiding behind brainwashed masses).

I was having this conversation with my friend a few months ago, and he fully agreed, and had also read years ago before this mess about how eventually all democracies fail since the bottom 51% realize they can just vote themselves the goodies of the top 49%.

What I could really find an answer to, and both thought would be a good system going forward, was a form of limited democracy, where everyone could vote, but no one would be born with that right. Basically in order to vote, you'd have to put your money where your mouth is, and show, via civil service, military service, volunteering with the poor and homeless, I don't know, just something to make you step out of your selfish bubble and understand what a nation should be, and that we all should be in this together. This would demonstrate that you were smart and detached enough to show that you cared about building a strong, prosperous society, and hopefully would vote as such, even when it may be against you're own personal interests. Is there a name for such a system?

I'm not a fan of the old (Roman I think?) where it also included land owners and such, as that just created dynasties which will eventually vote for their own interests (not so different than todays corporations and elites) at the expense of everyone else. But the current system where an almost majority pay no taxes, yet still have no money, and then they vote for more free money to waste clearly isn't working.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I was having this conversation with my friend a few months ago, and he fully agreed, and had also read years ago before this mess about how eventually all democracies fail since the bottom 51% realize they can just vote themselves the goodies of the top 49%.

What I could really find an answer to, and both thought would be a good system going forward, was a form of limited democracy, where everyone could vote, but no one would be born with that right. Basically in order to vote, you'd have to put your money where your mouth is, and show, via civil service, military service, volunteering with the poor and homeless, I don't know, just something to make you step out of your selfish bubble and understand what a nation should be, and that we all should be in this together. This would demonstrate that you were smart and detached enough to show that you cared about building a strong, prosperous society, and hopefully would vote as such, even when it may be against you're own personal interests. Is there a name for such a system?

I'm not a fan of the old (Roman I think?) where it also included land owners and such, as that just created dynasties which will eventually vote for their own interests (not so different than todays corporations and elites) at the expense of everyone else. But the current system where an almost majority pay no taxes, yet still have no money, and then they vote for more free money to waste clearly isn't working.

This is basically the system outlined by Heinlein in Starship Troopers (the book). I'm a major proponent of it.