Modern dentistry

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Dear RVFers,

I went to the dentist recently and was told I needed 2 fillings and a root canal.

However, I am a bit uncertain whether I should trust them as they require all visitors to wear masks. I also don't know if a root canal treatment is really necessary if I'm not in tremendous pain. I basically feel the same about fillings. Perhaps I should accept tooth pain as a necessary suffering that could bring me closer to God rather than look to secular comforting solutions.

Also, now I am aware at how much modern mainstream doctors lie and push mistruths, should I assume the same about dentists?

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Dear RVFers,

I went to the dentist recently and was told I needed 2 fillings and a root canal.

However, I am a bit uncertain whether I should trust them as they require all visitors to wear masks. I also don't know if a root canal treatment is really necessary if I'm not in tremendous pain. I basically feel the same about fillings. Perhaps I should accept tooth pain as a necessary suffering that could bring me closer to God rather than look to secular comforting solutions.

Also, now I am aware at how much modern mainstream doctors lie and push mistruths, should I assume the same about dentists?
i too am in severe tooth pain, have been having a bad tooth for over 2 years but this last weekend its been really bad I am in a lot pain I have to drink extra wine at night, I struggle to sleep in the early hours of the morning but I sometimes get up and pray and it gets better. Went to the dentist today they wanted to chage me consultation, xray and to remove tooth, I said im not on medical aid I just want to remove tooth will pay cash not xray or consultation, they guy was willing to do it but still wanted an xray so I said no and left, was considering drinking a bit of alcohol and just remove the tooth myself at home with pliers but my wife seemed freaked out about it so here I am

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Yes as for X ray...today I was given an X ray without my consent. He just did it. To be fair, I sort of knew when he shoved the familiar thing in my mouth but I was a bit shocked he would do such a thing with checking for my permission first. Is this illegal?

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Yes as for X ray...today I was given an X ray without my consent. He just did it. To be fair, I sort of knew when he shoved the familiar thing in my mouth but I was a bit shocked he would do such a thing with checking for my permission first. Is this illegal?
I dont know if its illegal but to mich exposure to xrays is dangerous, have you notice the doctors always leave the room when an xray is done? Cause it can be toxic, I onow its necessary sometimes but most of the time its not

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I dont know if its illegal but to mich exposure to xrays is dangerous, have you notice the doctors always leave the room when an xray is done? Cause it can be toxic, I onow its necessary sometimes but most of the time its not
Yes. This dentist stayed in the room so maybe he just doesn't care at all about it. But it made me unsure whether I should trust his dental advice.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I recently had my first cleaning and examination in about 5 years. Previously I had no insurance or time for appointments. They did an x-ray and said I needed to have a tooth removed although there was absolutely no pain. The problem was called a root adsorption (where the tooth eats itself from the inside out. I suspected a scam but when the tooth came out you could clearly see the rot. The removal took less than an hour and would only have cost a few hundred dollars if I didn't have insurance.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
While living in Vietnam a year and a half ago, my wife had to have a filling.

It cost $15. No x-ray, no nonsense, 20 minutes and we were out the door.

I don't trust anyone in the west with doctor attached to their name. They're making a fortune.

Agreed. But would it be cost effective for me to fly to Vietnam for treatment?

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Agreed. But would it be cost effective for me to fly to Vietnam for treatment?
Whoa, probably not. I was just trying to sympathize a bit with your trial and convey what most of us know about the racket the medical industry is.

Wish you didn't have to go through the pain.

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
Look into biological dentists who try and fix the root cause instead of symptoms.
Most modern western doctors treat the symptoms only, they do not treat the root cause of the problem. It is as-a-service based medical system. When you treat the symptoms only, it is temporary, and the patient keeps coming back for more. When you treat the root cause, the patient is completely healed, and so would provide much less profits for the corporation than in the former case.

Pete345

Robin
Orthodox
What about flying to Mexico and getting a procedure there? Might be cheaper than what the dentist charges in the US.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
What about flying to Mexico and getting a procedure there? Might be cheaper than what the dentist charges in the US.
Nice idea, but I live in the UK. Not sure it would really work out financially once flights and accommodation are factored in.

joost

Pelican
I travel a lot and I always take the opportunity to visit a dentist abroad once a year for prevention. I can deal with the problem before it becomes a bigger one. I always end up doing a cleaning since it's cheap and the only thing needed.

If you live in the States, head south, if you live in Western Europe, go east. Look for a short flight. See if you can get a recommendation thru a friend or even look online (price shouldn't be the only factor).

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Dear RVFers,

I would strictly avoid Root Canal treatments: https://davidhoward.com.au/why-you-should-avoid-root-canals-like-the-plague/

and only opt for composite fillings, if fillings are recommended. Composite is far less toxic though you will pay a little more compared to "Silver" fillings (aka neurotoxic Mercury amalgam fillings) and they are not as durable (5-7 years vs 10+). There are probably better options than composite but thats all i know.

Here are the links to the directories of biological dentists from the link above:
As others have said, going abroad isn't a bad option. I'm from UK too and considered going to Europe for dentistry, I might do so in future. But now might be the time to do it, while everything's settled down a bit. Although if you can make the investment, a biological/holistic dentist in the UK would be worth it.

The Prime Minister

Banned
Orthodox
I haven't been to a dentist for years now.
Not only is it very expensive but I'm left in more pain and discomfort. I don't trust or like American dentists.
If I'm in an extremely desperate situation where I absolutely need a dentist, I might go to Mexico to get dental care.
I've heard from many other Americans that dental care in Mexico is really good and more affordable.
It's a sad state of affairs that I as an American citizen have to seek out medical help in a foreign country.

Sargon2112

Woodpecker
Protestant
In the same boat as Op.

I went for a routine cleaning a few days ago (in the US). I've had a tooth getting sensitive, dull ache, for about a week prior and I pointed it out to the dentist. He found that I have a cracked tooth, which I was able to see for myself on the monitor via a high res camera. I recall biting down on a tiny bone fragment or something a couple of weeks ago, which is likely the cause. Tooth was otherwise healthy, but no doubt it's cracked now.

He suggested a root canal and cap. I'm researching alternatives, as I do not want a root canal. It's a pre molar, on the side but near the front, so I had rather not just pull it. Options are not good tho...