Mormonism...

bucky

Pelican
I don't want to shit on mormons. I don't want to talk about how bad certain
mormons can be. I'm just talking from a theological perspective. The quote
you gave, “as man now is, God once was, as God is, many may become”, is
an example of what I'm talking about. This isn't theosis, it's apotheosis.
And y'all even extend the apotheosis to God himself, saying that God was just a
created being who elevated himself to deity. Theosis is a drastically
different concept. Theosis means that God condescended from the throne of
heaven all the way down to the earth, and even further down into the heart of
the earth, all so that he could bring us back to heaven with him. See the
difference? Apotheosis is about making yourself into a god. Theosis is about
love and communion between God and creation. Satanists are into apotheosis,
but Christians are into theosis. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be insulting, the
theology just really really sucks.
A Mormon bishop once told me that the great thing about their religion is that in it, other righteous Christians get exactly what they expect: heaven, being saved and being with Jesus in the afterlife. Righteous Mormons just get even more.

Make of that what you will. I do like the idea of eternal families. I hope that if I'm fortunate enough to be saved I'll somehow be able to have a close relationship with my wife and children in the afterlife. My wife's 90-year-old devout Catholic grandmother says we'll "recognize" each other in heaven...just got teary eyed thinking of that to be honest. I hope it's true.

Nacho

Sparrow
I realize to someone with a mainstream Christian theological background, this Mormon doctrine does seem shocking and heretical. But from the Mormon perspective (I am just trying to show how Mormons view it), it is all about becoming a loving parent in this life, and then a loving parent/god in the next. It is not about being mad with power and ego.

From my own perspective, I always found the idea kind of exhausting and overwhelming. And I have played so-called "god games" on my pc, where I get impatient or angry with my digital people, who annoy me in some way, and so I end up punishing them with earthquakes or plagues, but then feel bad about it.
I see so we are fibbing like Joseph Smith did on so many things about what your church actually teaches about this heretical Adam-God doctrine. I noticed the mormons have a great knack for inconsistencies and covering up their history. The lds church has had to come out with some embarrassing admissions because they are unable to white wash the historical record. I remember mormons laughing at me back in the late 90's when I told them Joseph Smith had close to 40 wives. The church on their own website in the last few years has grudgingly admitting this as truth as well.

we'll "recognize" each other in heaven
LOL F that dude. Oh, we'll recognize eachother lmao. She should know better than to try to dissect what heaven will be like. God don't tell you to bond with your wife only to dissolve those bonds later and replace them with mere recognition. While not trying to go too far on this train of thought, I'm pretty sure we'll all be in perfect communion both with Christ and with one another.

bucky

Pelican
LOL F that dude. Oh, we'll recognize eachother lmao. She should know better than to try to dissect what heaven will be like. God don't tell you to bond with your wife only to dissolve those bonds later and replace them with mere recognition. While not trying to go too far on this train of thought, I'm pretty sure we'll all be in perfect communion both with Christ and with one another.
Well, I was translating from the Spanish so I might have gotten it wrong. I'll take perfect communion too though.

Well, I was translating from the Spanish so I might have gotten it wrong. I'll take perfect communion too though.
No, the error is mine. I thought you were comparing the Roman Catholic and Mormon responses, and that the Roman Catholic person could only say ‘Oh don't worry, you'll still recognize your wife.’, as if that's the plateau and we don't want anything more than to merely recognize our loved ones. I must have misunderstood you.

bucky

Pelican
I think reading a couple sections may be beneficial, if not only because it's interesting.
Reading it now. It is very interesting. This part, for example:

"All that can be said against the Mormon people is overwhelmed by the vital nature of the core message they carry and exemplify, concerning the centrality of marriage and family to Christian life; a message which happens to be the single most important and urgent thing that the modern world needs to know."

Falls in line with my idea that we should focus on the fruits of a religion or denomination, rather than the correctness or lack thereof of its theology.

I see so we are fibbing like Joseph Smith did on so many things about what your church actually teaches about this heretical Adam-God doctrine. I noticed the mormons have a great knack for inconsistencies and covering up their history. The lds church has had to come out with some embarrassing admissions because they are unable to white wash the historical record. I remember mormons laughing at me back in the late 90's when I told them Joseph Smith had close to 40 wives. The church on their own website in the last few years has grudgingly admitting this as truth as well.
The Church leadership is learning that trying to sweep things under the rug does not work so well, in the age of the internet. But as you mention, the Church has on their official website, articles about these controversial matters, which is a move in the right direction. I hope they continue to add topics.

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
The Church leadership is learning that trying to sweep things under the rug does not work so well, in the age of the internet. But as you mention, the Church has on their official website, articles about these controversial matters, which is a move in the right direction. I hope they continue to add topics.

Not to mention the dubious translation of the Golden Plates by Joseph Smith which I don't think has ever been find. And Joseph Smith's writings on history.

Really Mormons while they have pretty good traditions in regards to marriage and family. Would be more theologically sound if they become Orthodox Christians in the sense of accepting the Trinity as explained in the Nicene Creed.

And accepting the eternity and Omnipresence of God. Who only manifests in Theophany in the Person of the Father alongside the embodied Son for the benefit of his creatures.

A Mormon man who went through alot of adversity (his first wife, despite a temple marriage and two kids, divorced him), gives his personal testimony. I found the visual differences in his first and second wife interesting (he only gives a brief moment's view of the first wife). His second wife has the "standard 2020 upscale professional Mormon woman look." They certainly have a big and beautiful family.

Last edited: