Movie Classics

Salinger

Woodpecker
I'm a big fan of old films. When our society becomes too much to handle, I like to find an old flick to watch so I can escape the horrors of today's world. Really, anything before 1970 will do. Some of my favorites are:

Rear Window
Vertigo
Casablanca
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
On The Waterfront

Anyone else like to watch old films? What do you enjoy about them?

I'm also a big fan of old films! There's a lot of good, wholesome ones out there, but off the top of my head:
  • Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier (1955)
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
  • The Court Jester (1956)
  • The Ten Commandments (1956)

Additionally, there are some films/shows that aren't so old, but really capture the wholesomeness of pre-1970 media:
  • Anne of Green Gables (1985)
  • Road to Avonlea (1990)
  • Dick Proenneke's Series (Alone in the Wilderness, Parts I & II, Alaska: Silence & Solitude, and The Frozen North)
Some edifying escapism right here!

Bolly

Pelican
Cool thread. Love them old movies from better times. Abott and Costello movies were always my favorite. Grew up on those. Still enjoy em today. Hold That Ghost from 1941 was always my favorite.

Reactions: 911
Yes, love old films. Let's use 1966 as the cutoff date for "old" since New Hollywood (of which I also enjoy a lot) usually uses 1967-8 as their beginning. And assuming you mean American films.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is definitely a great choice. Could re-watch each year and get something out of it.

Here are a few more:

It Happened One Night (Capra)
City Lights (Chaplin)
The Hustler (Rossen)
Rio Bravo (Hawks)
Citizen Kane (Welles)
7 Men From Now (Boetticher)
Days Of Wine And Roses (Edwards)
Nightmare Alley (Power)
How Green Was My Valley (Ford)

Hypno

Hummingbird
comedy - Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Ensemble cast races to find a buried treasure.

action/romance - Cyrano DeBegerac, starring Jose Ferrer. Some great sword fighting and shit lording, before that was a thing.

Rocha

Ostrich
Gold Member
Might be cliche but the spaghetti westerns made in the 60s are some of the best movies ever produced

Well...a few of them yes, most of them suck. Leone's films are good, dollars trilogy, Once Upon a time in the West, Duck you Sucker!, appart from this there is only 2 or 3 who can be considered good movies/productions, I like "The Great Silence" and "Mercenary" by Sergio Corbucci, and I don't think there is much else good to show off from the genre...

For me the best western ever is "The Wild Bunch" by Sam Peckinpah. I am an avid fan of this style.

Garuda

Woodpecker
Ben Hur
Gunga Din
Zulu
Bataan
Bridge on the River Kwai
Sergeant York
Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk

A couple of dramas I like are The Enchanted Cottage and Our Vines Have Tender Grapes just for the escapism alone. The one musical I really enjoy is Yankee Doodle Dandy for obvious reasons.

Do Catholics still watch The Song of Bernadette?

Razgriz

Sparrow
The sting ( great con man movie)

I think most of the old live action Disney movies are good. Someone already mentioned Swiss Family Robinson which is my all time favorite. but I think old yeller, Dave Crockett, Follow me Boys are also good.

Plenty of older war movies are worth a watch like The Great Escape, or Patton.

what is qualifying as old for us?

Ben Hur
Gunga Din
Zulu
Bataan
Bridge on the River Kwai
Sergeant York
Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk
I could of wrote this list! :)
I would add:
Robin Hood (1938)
Lives of a Bengal Dancer
The Four Feathers (1938 version) - a classic about courage, cowardice, manhood and bravery
Beau Geste (1939 version)
Zorro (1940 version)