Movies and TV Shows to watch for morale

An upcoming animated series about a young man who learns that he is a son of Zeus. But considering how often Zeus seduced mortal women, you would think he would have lots of half brother and sisters to join him on his adventures! Lol

I love Bloodsport. It's one of the funniest movie I've ever seen.

At 4:40 just take a look at that kaleidoscope of human emotions; anger, confusion, fear, sadness, serenity, honor...
People talk about all that shit going on in Hollywood but I knew back in 88 that something was wrong because they never gave Jean-Claude Van Damme an oscar.

Bolo Yeung looks like he took all the steroids available in Hong Kong at that time, leaving Tony Leung with nothing to do but In the Mood for Love.

Northwest Passage 100% un-pc. Based on the famous counter strike by Roger's Rangers on hostile Indians:

There are many golden age (Pre-1960s) Hollywood films with great, inspiring characters and good message. The old Errol Flynn swashbucklers, old westerns, big safari movies like King Solomon's mines.

I saw a recommendation for the Barbarians on Netflix, but just look at the main cover and opening scene. It has that token bad ass “you go girl” character, complete with full body spooky paint job. Turned it off when she was the last person featured in opening credit scene. I hate being red pilled.

This is an excellent movie about leadership. It also has the forerunner of the modern soy male - the communications officer. It was made in the fifties and this one character, I realized, was most like the average modern man now- and how all of us have been trained to be. - cynical, irreverent, undermining the authority of the captain. In a modern movie he'd blend right in, in this one he stands out as the bad guy. It made me examine much of my behavior that I unconsciously picked up from popular media.

Last edited:

RalphMalph

Sparrow
I remember buying the DVD of Ridley Scott's 'Kingdom of Heaven' and after watching it a number of times I realized that the movie must have been edited for theatrical release. Now after watching a critique of it by a Youtube.com contributor, he claims that the director's cut of the film is a much better version. I wonder if it is worth watching once again.

Any comments?

NickK

Sparrow
Undoubtedly better than the theatrical edition.
But still let down by not having an actual man in the leading role, instead of a pretty boy with zero gravitas. A Russell Crow would have turned this film into a masterpiece. Still worth a watch though.

RalphMalph

Sparrow
Undoubtedly better than the theatrical edition.
But still let down by not having an actual man in the leading role, instead of a pretty boy with zero gravitas. A Russell Crow would have turned this film into a masterpiece. Still worth a watch though.
I thought David Whewlis was the best possible pick for the role of the Hospitaller. I remember him in Restoration (1995) playing the Quaker. As for Russel Crow playing a blacksmith, yes. But as a penitent, no. I really think that back in 2002 or thereabouts when they were casting this movie there was not an actor around that could pull off this role. It was too complex a role. Irons could have pulled it off if it was made a decade earlier.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
This might sound incongruous to the discussion, but watch a few youtube episodes or snippets from Married With Children. Ed Bundy said things just a couple of decades ago that would get him de-platformed today. It's both a laugh and a history lesson in how far they've shifted the political correctness Overton window.

If you want another laugh-turned-documentary, Idiocracy is sobering and accidentally true.

The Rock

The DC of Kingdom of Heaven takes the movie from a 6 to an 8 in my opinion. The theatrical version was a mess. So many things didn't really make sense.

During the production code era (and pre-CGI) movies had to rely on good plots and interesting characters:

Casablanca -- cynical anti-hero decides to do the right thing
Ben-Hur -- prince loses everything, but finds redemption
The Big Sleep -- hard boiled detective cleans up a mess without selling out
A Night at the Opera -- earlier Marx Bros and still fresh gags
The Ghost Breakers -- irresponsible goof ball saves damsel in distress
The Kid (Charlie Chaplin) -- the government tries to bust up a family, and fails
Treasure of the Sierra Madre -- adventurers lose everything but get what they deserve

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
Predator has aged very well. The entire film is masculinized, but Billy's sacrifice was the most notable.

One great thing about Predator is how it's got a forced-diversity cast (2 blacks, 1 American Indian, 1 Hispanic woman, and Arnold, the foreign-accented European), and yet each one earns their spot in the film, and none of them feel forced by the end. Billy is freaking awesome, and you genuinely get the sense that Jesse Ventura and the black guy Duke really are close blood brothers.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker

True Story: 7th Heaven was produced by (((Aaron Spelling))) basically on a dare. Spelling was known for creating trashy, sex-filled soapy crap like Beverly Hills 90210 and Dynasty (which are tame by today's standards, and rather nostalgic, but they were part of the slippery slope).

Someone said Spelling could never make a wholesome family drama, that he was too crass and low-class, so he produced 7th Heaven. Which became a hit and lasted for more than a few seasons.

Of course, Jessica Biel started on the show, then split and became a groupie for Derek Jeter and Justin Timberlake. And the Dad from the show turned out to be a sex offender IRL. So maybe Spelling really didn't stray all that far from his usual work.

Also a true story: Both the Dad and the Mom from 7th Heaven had major starring roles in Star Trek pictures. The Dad was in the first Star Trek film as the new first officer, where he leaves and mates with the V'yger entity. Meanwhile the Mom was Kirk's love interest in Star Trek 4 (the time travel-whales-in-San-Francisco one).

Last edited:

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
There's an old movie called Taps which is well worth the watch. It stars Timothy Hutton, and features George C. Scott, Tom Cruise, and Sean Penn…which is reason enough to watch the film. Anyhow, their military school is closed down and they decide to protect it from the land developers by seizing everything on the property. For most of the movie, it's a good morale builder in regards to fighting for what you believe in. However, it also presents the belief that some things are not worth sacrificing your life over. The movie does have a couple of plot holes, but it's still very interesting to watch all of these great actors in the same film.

Here's where you can rent it:

George C. Scott was such an awesome, dominating, pissed-off presence on the screen. I've never seen a man act more annoyed with every single actor he works with, like in every scene he's about 5 seconds way from breaking character and slugging his co-stars for being so incompetent next to him. And yet he never stopped being a superb actor. Amazing to watch.

Patton was his greatest work. But his version of A Christmas Carol is also wonderful, although there's some annoying left-wing propaganda inserted that isn't in the book.