Moving to America

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I live in South Africa and I might have an opportunity to move to America, I would like to hear from Americans what they suggest? I have a brother in Atlanta Georgia who has been there for 12 years and he has a company, a soccer academy and he might be able to employ me to get me over there, we own property in South Africa which we can rent out if we decide to go to USW which will pay for itself plus a little left over incase we dont like it and have to move back.

How is Georgia? Is it ok there? Are living expenses ok? Rentals and property prices compared to average salaries? We home school and would like to continue with it there. Any suggestions?

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I'm not sure where to begin because there are so many variables involved in answering your questions. Here are a couple of videos: one is Roosh's impression of Atlanta from visiting it in 2019, and the other video is a discussion about living in various parts of South Africa and how it differs from the expectations of what some Americans currently think about the quality of life there.

Maybe these two videos will bring out some useful points that will address the pros and cons of whether you should move.

Babylon Road #21 – Thomasville, Americus, Atlanta

How Whites Get Ahead in South Africa

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
It's a tough call. There is a legit argument for moving to SA from the US, but there is a good argument for coming from SA to the US. It's not a black and white situation (see what I did there).

I'd say that your brother's success is the deciding factor. If you take fair advantage of the situation as he would want you to, you should be able to land on your feet and prosper more than you could if you stay where you are.

I have lived in Atlanta, and I think the Southeast is one of the better parts of the country. You must recognize that America is cruising for a hard period, like SA faced in the 1990s. However, this may still be the better place to be.

Last edited:

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I'm not sure where to begin because there are so many variables involved in answering your questions. Here are a couple of videos: one is Roosh's impression of Atlanta from visiting it in 2019, and the other video is a discussion about living in various parts of South Africa and how it differs from the expectations of what some Americans currently think about the quality of life there.

Maybe these two videos will bring out some useful points that will address the pros and cons of whether you should move.

Babylon Road #21 – Thomasville, Americus, Atlanta

How Whites Get Ahead in South Africa

Thanks I will check it out

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
It's a tough call. There is a legit argument for moving to SA from the US, but there is a good argument for coming from SA to the US. It's not a black and white situation (see what I did there).

I'd say that your brother's success is the deciding factor. If you take fair advantage of the situation as he would want you to, you should be able to land on your feet and prosper more than you could if you stay where you are.

I have lived in Atlanta, and I think the Southeast is one of the better parts of the country. You must recognize that America is cruising for a hard period, like SA faced in the 1990s. However, this may still be the better place to be.
Even though you guys are going through a hard period you must also understand that South Africa has already gone through that hard period and is still going through it and your hard times in USA for us in South Africa might be a huge improvement, we quite happy in South Africa its not like we want to run away or anything but the opportunity might be available for us, the down side about our country is the unemployment almost 50% of the country unemployed and jobs and money is quite, the safety issue and basic services are collapsing like water and electricity supply, maintenance is non existance etc, and the cost of living had gone through the roof, but still has opportunities and a good place to be for us, we also have like +20,000 highly skilled and wealthy people leaving the country every year and this can become a problem in the future, my brother never wants to come back here and my parents say once I personally visit US I wont want to come back either, but thats maybe just their opinion I will have to see it for myself

joost

Kingfisher
US is a generous country and there is no comparison on what an average person can make if he puts the effort to advance. Your brother might save you years from having to start from scratch.

If you're still happy in SA, you can work in the States and start saving money and buy property in SA and retire early. But you might want to stay in the States when you get used.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
I know one guy lives outside of Atlanta with his wife. He was from a small town in New York State; his wife was from New Jersey. (We belong to the same karate organization so I knew them when they were just kids.)

He and his wife lives about 30 minutes north of Atlanta. A few years ago, I asked him how like Atlanta so far. He said:

Positives
- More jobs, more employment opportunities
- Southern hospitality
- Nice Driving distances to other states; lots to do and see
- Major airport hub

Negatives (common complaints)
- Traffic congestion
- Crimes (mostly in and around the city)
- Hot weather

There are plenty of Orthodox Churches including RORCOR, which you can see here:

Pointy Elbows

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Good_Shepherd - Not sure if this is suitable for you, but I know farmers in my state are currently employing SAfrican H2A-visa farm workers. Boers are generally very well regarded. H2A covers migrant agriculture farm workers of ALL kinds. They may be potato-pickers or assistant farm managers, depending on skillsets and brain power. The host farmer is required to pay a fair wage (about USD16/hour minimum), minimum 35 hours per week, plus room and board, plus transportation necessary for basic use. This particular farmer pays by the law, has several trailer homes to fit the 100 SF/person minimum space requirement, and provides vans for regular transport to town for supplies, laundry, etc. He's also overworked and likes having a man he can trust to not run a 300k tractor into a ditch, not tear up a submerged irrigation line, and run a crew shift. Not all these H2A jobs are menial labor.

Added bonus is you may find a friendly home-schooling environment among US farmers. Good luck, brother.

7-5

Sparrow
Other Christian
If you've got the connections, do it. Safety in numbers, head start, not necessarily what you know but who you know and all that.

If you intend to move to one of our diverse cities and work an office job: I'd assume that could be done in some capacity in SA.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Good_Shepherd - Not sure if this is suitable for you, but I know farmers in my state are currently employing SAfrican H2A-visa farm workers. Boers are generally very well regarded. H2A covers migrant agriculture farm workers of ALL kinds. They may be potato-pickers or assistant farm managers, depending on skillsets and brain power. The host farmer is required to pay a fair wage (about USD16/hour minimum), minimum 35 hours per week, plus room and board, plus transportation necessary for basic use. This particular farmer pays by the law, has several trailer homes to fit the 100 SF/person minimum space requirement, and provides vans for regular transport to town for supplies, laundry, etc. He's also overworked and likes having a man he can trust to not run a 300k tractor into a ditch, not tear up a submerged irrigation line, and run a crew shift. Not all these H2A jobs are menial labor.

Added bonus is you may find a friendly home-schooling environment among US farmers. Good luck, brother.
Amazing advice, funny you saying that I was actually just looking into that, yes Im into that I enjoy that kind of work!