Music Thread

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
What do you ladies listen to in terms of genres or favorite artists/songs? I like a lot of different stuff, from Tom Petty to Roxette to Creedence Clearwater Revival to 2000's contemporary Christian to 90's gangsta rap to modern country. Just recently I discovered a very talented sister and brother, Sierra and Chase Eagleson. Sierra covers Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" (which, in my opinion, is an epic song in its own right). I love her cover of it; her voice is ethereal and her simple piano playing is the perfect accompaniment. I'll share it here with you; let me know one or two of your favorites.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Calming voices are pretty much my jam. I can enjoy a lot of different styles of music (and tolerate plenty more), but the stuff I listen to regularly anymore is mostly in that same vein. I like that artist you posted! I'm usually not much for listening to female vocalists, but I like her voice a lot.

I also love John Denver. I wanna share these and then I'll shut up for a little while. LOL

One of my favorites:

Not music, but this is John Denver testifying at the PMRC hearings in 1985. It's a little over 20 minutes, but it's so worth watching/listening. Incredibly relevant today.

I'd heard clips from this years ago, but only heard the "whole" thing (not sure how much is clipped out) recently. Then I happened upon a video where he appeared on Oprah and you could tell that Oprah HATED HIM. I told my little brother that I think John Denver faked his death because Oprah was going to have him killed. My lil bro said it's the most plausible conspiracy theory I've presented yet. Just saying. :nerd:hmm:

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
Calming voices are pretty much my jam. I can enjoy a lot of different styles of music (and tolerate plenty more), but the stuff I listen to regularly anymore is mostly in that same vein. I like that artist you posted! I'm usually not much for listening to female vocalists, but I like her voice a lot.

I also love John Denver. I wanna share these and then I'll shut up for a little while. LOL

One of my favorites:

Not music, but this is John Denver testifying at the PMRC hearings in 1985. It's a little over 20 minutes, but it's so worth watching/listening. Incredibly relevant today.

I'd heard clips from this years ago, but only heard the "whole" thing (not sure how much is clipped out) recently. Then I happened upon a video where he appeared on Oprah and you could tell that Oprah HATED HIM. I told my little brother that I think John Denver faked his death because Oprah was going to have him killed. My lil bro said it's the most plausible conspiracy theory I've presented yet. Just saying. :nerd:hmm:
I am getting sleepy but I'll give this one a whirl tomorrow! I'm glad you liked the song I posted, she really blew me away! So beautiful. :)

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
What do you ladies listen to in terms of genres or favorite artists/songs? I like a lot of different stuff, from Tom Petty to Roxette to Creedence Clearwater Revival to 2000's contemporary Christian to 90's gangsta rap to modern country. Just recently I discovered a very talented sister and brother, Sierra and Chase Eagleson. Sierra covers Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" (which, in my opinion, is an epic song in its own right). I love her cover of it; her voice is ethereal and her simple piano playing is the perfect accompaniment. I'll share it here with you; let me know one or two of your favorites.

I normally feel covers never really capture the original spirit, but this one is gorgeous. There really is something about her voice! Thanks for sharing.

Love CCR too by the way! My parents had a vinyl collection of lots of good music, classic rock, Beatles, old school country like Dolly Parton. My musical tastes generally lie in that area because I got to hear so much great music growing up.

I couldn’t tell you about any new song or ‘artist’ in the last 10-15 years and honestly, from what I hear about “popular music” (aka trash like WAP or whatever), NO THANKS!!

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
Great thread Idea - we should do scriptures and parables on another thread.

Here are a few artists picked up since moving away from anything having to do with the satanic music industry :blush: .
Child friendly too:

Since listening to Christian music, choir, and hymns it feels like always being in a great mood regardless of the negativity out there.
All of these artists are played on our radio stations (total of 6 in the area).

And I still listen to my all time favourite artist:
  • Ray Lamontagne

Last edited:

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
I normally feel covers never really capture the original spirit, but this one is gorgeous. There really is something about her voice! Thanks for sharing.

Love CCR too by the way! My parents had a vinyl collection of lots of good music, classic rock, Beatles, old school country like Dolly Parton. My musical tastes generally lie in that area because I got to hear so much great music growing up.

I couldn’t tell you about any new song or ‘artist’ in the last 10-15 years and honestly, from what I hear about “popular music” (aka trash like WAP or whatever), NO THANKS!!
YES! I must have listened to her cover 15 times in the first 72 hours I learned of it. And it is amazing how she does the song justice. In The Air Tonight is NOT an easy song to do justice to. Her brother, Chase Eagleson, covers Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. He does it justice as well. Amazing genes, those two have.
Yep, my parents definitely exposed me to "oldies" (or what was called oldies in the 80s and 90s, lol). I am with you when it comes to modern music... I know very little of it. I do like some newer pop/country artists (like Sam Hunt) and since I have young adult daughters, I heard some stuff that they liked in their teens. Luckily my 21-year-old has good taste. She's into "indie" artists like Of Monsters and Men.
I only know what WAP is because of the constant mainstream media hype about it. I've never actually heard the song and do not care to!

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
Great thread Idea - we should do scriptures and parables on another thread.

Here are a few artists picked up since moving away from anything having to do with the satanic music industry :blush: .
Child friendly too:

Since listening to Christian music, choir, and hymns it feels like always being in a great mood regardless of the negativity out there.

And I still listen to my all time favourite artist:
  • Ray Lamontagne
I really like Jeremy Camp. His Live Unplugged album is my favorite. :)

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman

One of my favorites:

I'm 28 seconds into your John Denver song and I like it. Makes me feel like I've gone back in time to a simpler America. :)

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
YES! I must have listened to her cover 15 times in the first 72 hours I learned of it. And it is amazing how she does the song justice. In The Air Tonight is NOT an easy song to do justice to. Her brother, Chase Eagleson, covers Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. He does it justice as well. Amazing genes, those two have.
Yep, my parents definitely exposed me to "oldies" (or what was called oldies in the 80s and 90s, lol). I am with you when it comes to modern music... I know very little of it. I do like some newer pop/country artists (like Sam Hunt) and since I have young adult daughters, I heard some stuff that they liked in their teens. Luckily my 21-year-old has good taste. She's into "indie" artists like Of Monsters and Men.
I only know what WAP is because of the constant mainstream media hype about it. I've never actually heard the song and do not care to!

Yes! I listened to her cover about 6 times today. It is so beautiful and soothing and exactly what I really needed to hear today.

I will definitely check out the ‘Wicked Game’ cover too. Great song, and I’ve already heard it re-done by various artists a few times so I’m sure I’ll like it.

Same with what you said about WAP. I know OF it but I have no inclination to actually hear it. It’s stuff like that that is the bottom of our society barrel and it seems most people are holding it in high esteem. I can’t even imagine that such trash exists, let alone is commended. That says all I need to know. Once again, no thanks.

Jackie Dvllz

Pigeon
Woman
I think Phil Collins is a great artist too.
One of my favorite songs is Psalm by John Coltrane. It touched my heart since the first time I listened to it.

In this song Coltrane performs what he calls a “musical narration” of a devotional poem he included in the liner notes. That is, Coltrane “plays” the words of the poem on saxophone, but does not actually speak them. You can read the poem on the next video. Enjoy it.

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
I think Phil Collins is a great artist too.
One of my favorite songs is Psalm by John Coltrane. It touched my heart since the first time I listened to it.

In this song Coltrane performs what he calls a “musical narration” of a devotional poem he included in the liner notes. That is, Coltrane “plays” the words of the poem on saxophone, but does not actually speak them. You can read the poem on the next video. Enjoy it.

That's cool! I don't think I've ever seen an artist do that before.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Child friendly too:

I only listen to christian radio in the car. I also got into old hymns. And then there's Orthodox chant and hymns. Christian music for every taste haha

He Will Hold Me Fast
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Rock of Ages
A Mighty Fortress is our God
Wood and Nails by Audrey Assad (this one gives me chills every time)
Psalm 135 O Give Thanks by Eikona (I like to listen to this as I do laundry or the dishes)

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
My taste in music is pretty much all over the place lol

The genres I listen to most are:
80s/90s country

Celtic folk:

synth wave/retro wave

A cappella choral

I like a lot of oldie country too like Hank Williams Sr., Lefty Frizzle, and 60s/70s Dolly Parton.

Also, the best chill summer music is Orchestra Baobab and Seu Jorge

Last edited:

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
My taste in music is pretty much all over the place lol

The genres I listen to most are:
80s/90s country

Celtic folk:

synth wave/retro wave

A cappella choral

I like a lot of oldie country too like Hank Williams Sr., Lefty Frizzle, and 60s/70s Dolly Parton.

Also, the best chill summer music is Orchestra Baobab and Seu Jorge
I remember Livin' on Love. Good song.
The Celtic violin song was very pretty. It reminds me of a song called "Greenwood" by David Mahler.
"Everything" is really cool. I could SWEAR it came straight from the 80s, but nope, it says released 2016. They are channeling that 80s spirit like no one's business!
The acapella song is pretty (bonus points for being Ukrainian as that's my maternal grandma's heritage).
"Pirate's Choice" had me confused, lol. Their wikipedia says "Senegalese" but it sure as heck sounds like Spanish! But google has informed me that it's sung in Portuguese, so that makes more sense. :) Neat song. Feels like I'm at a busy restaurant in a cosmopolitan city in late spring.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I remember Livin' on Love. Good song.
The Celtic violin song was very pretty. It reminds me of a song called "Greenwood" by David Mahler.
"Everything" is really cool. I could SWEAR it came straight from the 80s, but nope, it says released 2016. They are channeling that 80s spirit like no one's business!
The acapella song is pretty (bonus points for being Ukrainian as that's my maternal grandma's heritage).
"Pirate's Choice" had me confused, lol. Their wikipedia says "Senegalese" but it sure as heck sounds like Spanish! But google has informed me that it's sung in Portuguese, so that makes more sense. :) Neat song. Feels like I'm at a busy restaurant in a cosmopolitan city in late spring.
An interesting factoid about Mykola Lyontevych (that I didn’t realize until just know) was that he was assassinated 100 years ago *today* by the Soviets. I knew he was murdered but didn’t pay attention to the date. Weird coincidence... He was a devout Orthodox Christian and went around Ukraine/Russia collecting folk songs like the Grimm brothers collected fairy tales. The song I posted was one of those. The “Ukrainian Bell Carol/Carol of the Bells” is also attributed to him but it was originally called “Shchedryk” and was a folk song about a little bird flying in and out of a house giving the dwellers hope that Spring was soon coming.

Orchestra Baobab is more like Afro-Cuban-with some French/Portuguese. They’re from the Caribbean so they kind of picked up a bit of all the colonies. I learned about them from my brother who spent a long bit of time in the Dominican Republic and brought back some of that music here. Where we live it’s summer about about 6 months of the year and this is the perfect music to listen to outside at twilight while it’s 85-90 degrees lol

Last edited:

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Here are two songs, by ABBA, that have never been favorites, but are songs that played a significant part in cluing me in to the role of the entertainment and music industry in the foreshadowing, carrying out, and glorification of cultural subversion. I used to like a lot of ABBA's songs quite a lot, because they're catchy, but by adolescence I realized that a lot of it is trashy. And THEN I realized it was a lot more than that.

Just listen to the lyrics.

The first song, so titled, references "Cassandra" - who, according to legend as per Wikipedia, was a "Trojan priestess of Apollo in Greek mythology cursed to utter true prophecies, but never to be believed."

The second song, "Under Attack," is literally a young woman crying out for someone to save her from an impending life of modern degeneracy and heartbreak.

Put together as they are, these two songs effectively provide a profoundly explicit exposition of the intentions of the producers, marketers, etc. who peddled this stuff so deliberately to other countries and cultures. I don't believe it was any kind of accident or coincidence or organic event, that a group like ABBA became so huge in America overnight.

Think about it. Look at the women, how they look, how they're dressed, made up, adorned. How they move. The expressions on their faces. It's frickin CREEPY.

"But that was just what was in fashion in the 80's"

Yep - and these ladies are telling you exactly why, if you listen carefully.