Music Thread

Shwhite

Pigeon
Woman
What do you ladies listen to in terms of genres or favorite artists/songs? I like a lot of different stuff, from Tom Petty to Roxette to Creedence Clearwater Revival to 2000's contemporary Christian to 90's gangsta rap to modern country. Just recently I discovered a very talented sister and brother, Sierra and Chase Eagleson. Sierra covers Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" (which, in my opinion, is an epic song in its own right). I love her cover of it; her voice is ethereal and her simple piano playing is the perfect accompaniment. I'll share it here with you; let me know one or two of your favorites.

Some people's voices just have a way of touching you when they sing, and Sierra definitely has that quality. Beautiful. :)

When I'm getting ready for the day or I'm doing something where I don't really have to concentrate, I like listening to oldies but goodies or some disco. Anything with a good, funky beat or a bass guitar is what really jives with me.

And when I'm reading or doing some bible study, classical/instrumental is what helps me get in the zone.

Music is truly a gift from God. There's nothing else like it.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
Some people's voices just have a way of touching you when they sing, and Sierra definitely has that quality. Beautiful. :)

When I'm getting ready for the day or I'm doing something where I don't really have to concentrate, I like listening to oldies but goodies or some disco. Anything with a good, funky beat or a bass guitar is what really jives with me.

And when I'm reading or doing some bible study, classical/instrumental is what helps me get in the zone.

Music is truly a gift from God. There's nothing else like it.
Have you listened to Julia Lezhneva? She is an absolutely astounding soprano. I get chills and sometimes tear up listening to her.

My other favorite soprano is Victoria de los Angeles. Her voice isn’t quite as “pure” like Lezhneva’s but has a certain “je ne sais pas” and character and emotion to it that I really enjoy, could be because I grew up listening to her with my dad.

Shwhite

Pigeon
Woman
Have you listened to Julia Lezhneva? She is an absolutely astounding soprano. I get chills and sometimes tear up listening to her.

My other favorite soprano is Victoria de los Angeles. Her voice isn’t quite as “pure” like Lezhneva’s but has a certain “je ne sais pas” and character and emotion to it that I really enjoy, could be because I grew up listening to her with my dad.
Julia's voice does have a sweetness to it. Very light and effortless, like it all comes naturally.

But wow, Victoria de los Angeles... absolutely gorgeous. Her singing feels like it's coming from her soul and she's pouring herself into the song. I'm glad your dad introduced you to classical music and you two were able to bond over something so special. Thank you for sharing. :blush:

Vigilant

Woodpecker
Woman
I enjoy music from many genres, but I relate the most to Christian power metal, of the rare kind:

Desert Rose by White Heart (live version)
The Christian lyrics are relevant to our time, personally and for Christendom:

muhtea

Robin
Woman
This is the best "new" song I've heard in a long time. (2019 counts as new, right? lol) I like it a lot, but man the ear worms - bad as the Grateful Dead, which you can definitely hear the influence of here.

These young hipsters aren't bad! lol

kel

Ostrich
Anyone have suggestions for learning to play the piano? I've done some finger exercises (quarter notes on one hand, eighth on the other, up and down and switch, etc), need to move on from that, though. I've got some ideas but would be interested in suggestions from those who've done it before. Should I just pick a song I like that has a few chords and simple melody, or continue focusing on drills (but more interesting ones)?

DanielaEverheart

Pigeon
Woman
Anyone have suggestions for learning to play the piano? I've done some finger exercises (quarter notes on one hand, eighth on the other, up and down and switch, etc), need to move on from that, though. I've got some ideas but would be interested in suggestions from those who've done it before. Should I just pick a song I like that has a few chords and simple melody, or continue focusing on drills (but more interesting ones)?
Start simple. Children's songs. Joseph Haydn's works (I'm sure you can find adapted music sheets on the net) would be a good start. It's great that you want to continue learning piano! God Bless.

Reactions: kel