Music Thread

This always struck me as the kind of an interesting take on female regret. At least in the 70s you could still do a song about female regret. I hope some Ladies Forum members find it at least novel.

The second song, "Under Attack," is literally a young woman crying out for someone to save her from an impending life of modern degeneracy and heartbreak.
I like the thesis about ABBA. But just one question: if a song preached that message, wouldnt that be a good thing: an aid for putting women on the right road?

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
This always struck me as the kind of an interesting take on female regret. At least in the 70s you could still do a song about female regret. I hope some Ladies Forum members find it at least novel.

No one is allowed to talk about abortion regret which is the part of the song that stuck out to me. That song reminds of this poem from the 60’s:

the mother
By Gwendolyn Brooks

Abortions will not let you forget.
You remember the children you got that you did not get,
The damp small pulps with a little or with no hair,
The singers and workers that never handled the air.
You will never neglect or beat
Them, or silence or buy with a sweet.
You will never wind up the sucking-thumb
Or scuttle off ghosts that come.
You will never leave them, controlling your luscious sigh,
Return for a snack of them, with gobbling mother-eye.

I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children.
I have contracted. I have eased
My dim dears at the breasts they could never suck.
I have said, Sweets, if I sinned, if I seized
Your luck
And your lives from your unfinished reach,
If I stole your births and your names,
Your straight baby tears and your games,
Your stilted or lovely loves, your tumults, your marriages, aches, and your deaths,
If I poisoned the beginnings of your breaths,
Believe that even in my deliberateness I was not deliberate.
Though why should I whine,
Whine that the crime was other than mine?—
Since anyhow you are dead.
Or rather, or instead,
You were never made.
But that too, I am afraid,
Is faulty: oh, what shall I say, how is the truth to be said?
You were born, you had body, you died.
It is just that you never giggled or planned or cried.

Believe me, I loved you all.
Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you
All.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I like the thesis about ABBA. But just one question: if a song preached that message, wouldnt that be a good thing: an aid for putting women on the right road?
If a song actively and explicitly preached AGAINST this kind of "living," that would be one thing. But it seems to me that just singing about it, in a context such as an ABBA song, even in a way that is reminiscent of fear or regret, in many ways serves only to make it seem relatable and common. Maybe even something to aspire to. A common theme among young female fans of the arts and entertainment industry is the perverse notion that the worldly heartbreak associated with poor decision-making can somehow render them "beautifully broken" - like the women who are manufactured and held up as pop stars. It's glamorous, you know. Do those women honestly look like they're suffering? Is the average worldly young woman going to look at a beautiful, dressed up starlet, and hear the tragic words tumbling out of her mouth, and honestly think to herself "boy, I'd better avoid ending up like HER..." ?

Nahhh.

This is why I like Marty Robbins and his apparent penchant for singing about people who make poor decisions and end up dead or permanently suffering.

No one is allowed to talk about abortion regret which is the part of the song that stuck out to me.
How about abortion ANGER?

I'm shy about sharing stuff like this, but it seems timely. This is a song I actually wrote myself... or, that is to say, it kind of wrote itself in my head, beginning shortly after I found out that MY OWN MOTHER had an abortion when she got pregnant again soon after I was born. It would have been in the summer of 2017, when I found out. By early 2020 the words were done and it had grown a tune and I recorded it the first time. It's REALLY HARD to sing, actually, because I always end up emotional and my vocal chords tighten up. So fair warning, the production quality is not the best. I am not any kind of musician, I just got a song stuck in my head that nobody else had written yet and I had to get it out.

It is not a song about abortion, but that is a great portion of the anger and emotion that is in it. I think of it as something like a war song... or a lament for the fall of my country.

On a more lighthearted note: you can hear some doggos barking in the background of the recording. I don't know these doggos at all, but I was out at my dad's house (also where I grew up) recently and was wandering around and decided to start singing, as I often do... and I swear these dogs (situated on several different neighboring parcels) were trying to sing with me. At first I got distracted by it but then I thought it would be fun to record it, and I ended up liking it more than I usually like recordings of myself. They kind of stopped after a while, though. :blush:

Vigilant

Woodpecker
Woman
If a song actively and explicitly preached AGAINST this kind of "living," that would be one thing. But it seems to me that just singing about it, in a context such as an ABBA song, even in a way that is reminiscent of fear or regret, in many ways serves only to make it seem relatable and common. Maybe even something to aspire to. A common theme among young female fans of the arts and entertainment industry is the perverse notion that the worldly heartbreak associated with poor decision-making can somehow render them "beautifully broken" - like the women who are manufactured and held up as pop stars. It's glamorous, you know. Do those women honestly look like they're suffering? Is the average worldly young woman going to look at a beautiful, dressed up starlet, and hear the tragic words tumbling out of her mouth, and honestly think to herself "boy, I'd better avoid ending up like HER..." ?

Nahhh.

This is why I like Marty Robbins and his apparent penchant for singing about people who make poor decisions and end up dead or permanently suffering.

How about abortion ANGER?

I'm shy about sharing stuff like this, but it seems timely. This is a song I actually wrote myself... or, that is to say, it kind of wrote itself in my head, beginning shortly after I found out that MY OWN MOTHER had an abortion when she got pregnant again soon after I was born. It would have been in the summer of 2017, when I found out. By early 2020 the words were done and it had grown a tune and I recorded it the first time. It's REALLY HARD to sing, actually, because I always end up emotional and my vocal chords tighten up. So fair warning, the production quality is not the best. I am not any kind of musician, I just got a song stuck in my head that nobody else had written yet and I had to get it out.

It is not a song about abortion, but that is a great portion of the anger and emotion that is in it. I think of it as something like a war song... or a lament for the fall of my country.

On a more lighthearted note: you can hear some doggos barking in the background of the recording. I don't know these doggos at all, but I was out at my dad's house (also where I grew up) recently and was wandering around and decided to start singing, as I often do... and I swear these dogs (situated on several different neighboring parcels) were trying to sing with me. At first I got distracted by it but then I thought it would be fun to record it, and I ended up liking it more than I usually like recordings of myself. They kind of stopped after a while, though. :blush:
Insightful! And you have a lovely voice.