My suburb is getting pozzed and I would like to avoid confrontation and stay out of trouble. Tips?

stugatz

Pelican
Well, interesting development. We had a fire at my apartment complex this Saturday, and we all got pulled out of bed at 4 AM as the fire department came. It was excruciating.

I met multiple people that night and ended up getting turned on to a Facebook group that's made up of a few hundred disgruntled residents - our complex, as I earlier said, has had to deal with local crime and garage break-ins. On top of that, it's a very predatory company that runs the apartment, and it's nosediving quickly.

I guess crisis is the closest thing we all have these days to community. We wouldn't have all been in contact with each other if we didn't have a mutual problem. But I'll take it.

Mark-David

Pigeon
If you want to stay in this area, I agree with the poster above who suggested getting a dog.

You sound similar to me in personality type, in which case you're probably a ticking time bomb in terms of eventually reacting to provocation.

I'd leave the area. You'll keep yourself safe while helping to accelerate the righteous decline of an area that has wilfully given itself over to degeneracy. Don't look back.

stugatz

Pelican
If you want to stay in this area, I agree with the poster above who suggested getting a dog.

You sound similar to me in personality type, in which case you're probably a ticking time bomb in terms of eventually reacting to provocation.
How exactly? I assume you tend to be a hothead that has trouble with getting insulted without a response? How have you dealt with it yourself? Have you learned to avoid?

For now, I sadly have no choice but to stay. This area is probably going to continue declining in the coming years, but as it's still overwhelmingly white I do at least have a lot to fall back on for now. I'll avoid any areas that might be trouble for me, including...ugh...areas in my complex that I ought to be able to use.

It's nice having a group of mostly likeminded apartment residents that I recently connected with. Mostly, posts on their Facebook page deal with stuff like complaining about bad management, and letting each other know of crime incidents in the area surrounding us - garage break-ins, suspicious people, etc.

Maybe it's a good thing that they tend to be more paranoid than I do. There are whispers among them that our fire last week was arson, and that management is lying through their teeth. I may pursue some kind of police report on this to see if we were lied to - if so, I think many of us can break our leases early and collectively sue the hell out of the company.

Mark-David

Pigeon
The short answer on how I've handled provocation is that I haven't done it well. Probably the worst example was when I was 21 and a gang of three started insulting a friend I was with. My girlfriend at the time was also with us. My friend, who these guys apparently constantly harassed while he worked at a local store, is extremely meek. I'm not. I warned them three times to leave us alone. It escalated until they started throwing rocks at us. One hit my girlfriend. I dropped what I was holding and ran at the group. One ran away, one stood to the side, and one continued running his mouth. I punched him, he went down, and I kicked him in the groin probably around ten times. About a week later, my friend contacted me to say the police had been out to visit him and wanted to know my name. The guy I hit had made a police complaint alleging he'd been "jumped" while "cycling alone." He'd been in hospital because he couldn't urinate for two days due to swelling. I gave a voluntary interview and was never charged because the police didn't buy his story.

I've had similar experiences since then, but nothing as serious as involving police. I'm a hot head by nature and have tended to engage in any pissing contest I'm invited to, regardless of numbers on the other side. This isn't remotely sensible however. As I've gotten older I've just started avoiding areas where I know this kind of thing might happen. The problem with flashpoints is that demonstrating too much avoidance/meekness actually invites attack, as seen in the case of my friend. Had he stood up for himself a lot earlier and marked out his boundaries, that particular episode may never have happened.

SVK

Woodpecker
What does it mean "pozzed"?

My neighborhood is getting gentrified and I'm pretty happy about it, house value doubled since I bought it in 2015.

stugatz

Pelican
What does it mean "pozzed"?
I think it originally referred to people who had gotten infected with AIDS, and made HIV-positive, or "pozzed". It's a crude phrase and I should have probably used something else.

It more or less today is used to mean "ruined" or "tainted", crime is rising enough in this suburb where we're getting a junior version of what's going on in the cities.

Athanasius

Pelican
If you count the costs, on one side you get the satisfaction of standing up to low IQ kids. The other side is potentially getting killed or ending up in an altercation where will be persecuted by unjust, virtue-signalling authorities. Some blacks not only try to create altercations for a payout, but also to get a free pass to put a beatdown on whitey for disrespecting them. Those boys may have big brothers in the area. It's about guaranteed that if they come over one of them will "hear" you say a racial slur.

Risk avoidance can easily become a rationale for cowardice. "I don't stand up for righteousness at work because I could get fired." But the distinction to keep in mind is the motive. Are you making a wise, sober stand for righteousness or is it just your quick temper getting the better of you and tempting you to respond in low-value situation? It's not much smarter than getting abusive with police during a traffic stop.

Bluto

Kingfisher
GET OUT NOW. Why the hell are you even contemplating staying in that shithole of a state let alone suburb to that shithole city? If you have someone like an elderly mom then move her as well. There are plenty of places in the US where you can live that has better jobs, standard of living, and atmosphere.