Navy Seal PST

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Did 7 pull-ups today. I think it's easier when my body is warmed up. Being older you are working against your stiff tendon and ligaments unless you are warmed up. Also I never believed in neurological aspect of strength training. It takes a bit to wake up my nervous system to want to work hard. Otherwise I just feel tired without even being fatigued if that makes sense.

Anyway, I pretty happy to be back to my previous peak. I think the swimming kept my back muscle strong.
Look up the Armstrong method for pullups if you're trying to get your pull-up numbers up.

I took a look at Armstrong method. It looks good, but probably more appropriate for someone half my age. I will incorporate some of the elements into my training just for variety. Right now I do maybe 10 pull-ups total once a week. I am pretty satisfied with my level without specifically train for pull-up. I might incorporate small elements of the program and push harder once in a while.

Pilgrim of the East

Banned
Protestant
I took a look at Armstrong method. It looks good, but probably more appropriate for someone half my age. I will incorporate some of the elements into my training just for variety. Right now I do maybe 10 pull-ups total once a week. I am pretty satisfied with my level without specifically train for pull-up. I might incorporate small elements of the program and push harder once in a while.
what about grease the groove method? It's basically doing small sets that you can do many times a day and do it almost every day. If you do 5 times a week 6 sets of 1 pull-up with a really nice form, it will be probably much more effective regarding the creation of good neural connections

Haha, I don't have a pull up bar in my apartment, so I won't be doing pull-ups every day. I goto the park or the gym one a week and do a few.

This is not a life focus for me. It is just a fun way to stay motivated to workout and stay in shape.

I ran at the highschool track yesterday.

11:47 for 1.5 miles.

I was pretty happy with that. A personal record, and I really haven't been running at all. Not a real PR. I could run 2 miles in that time in highschool. I was pretty confident my cardio from swimming would hold up, and it did. But I thought I could push it faster in the last 200 meters, but I couldn't really increase my speed. I have the cardio, but my leg muscles are definitely not conditioned to run.

11:47 is pretty decent but it is far from 10:30. It's like going from a 7:50 mile to a 7:00 mile. BIG difference.

I think my next goal would be to run a mile in 7 minutes or 2 miles in 16:00. Or maybe just run a back to back 3:30 800 meters for start lol.

Overall I am pleased. My knee and hip hurted a little, but not too bad.

Damn, 64 y/o. That OG is shredded.

Yes I am going do intervals. Probably just trying doing some 800 meters at 7:00/mile pace. Just to get a feel of the speed I needed to run a 10:30 1.5 mile. Run 2 laps, walk 1 lap. Repeat 3-4x. If I feel up to it, maybe do some 400 meters at 6:00/mile pace. 90 sec.

Did 8 pull-ups the other day. I lost about 5 lbs which is probably why I can do more pull-ups.

On one hand I am happy with the result. On the other hand I would prefer to maintain my weight. I think I lost mostly fat though. I have very minimal love handle now.

Dead hang at 1:15. According to Peter Attia MD, a 40 year old should be able to do 2:00 dead hang. I am considerable older, but I will shoot for 1:30, and maybe eventually 2:00.

Also was able to swim 1000 yards continuously.

Pull-ups - 8
Dead hang - 1:15

Ran 2.95 miles in 31:19. 10:36 per mile pace. The goal is to get to 9 min/mile, maybe even 8 haha.

I am losing too much weight with these endurance training. Lost 8 lbs in the last 6 months. And I am not even doing that much. 30-45 mins 3-4x a week.

Went to the doctor and have my hormones checked. Total testosterone is normal, but free is low, estradiol is high. My sex hormone binding protein is high. Could be due to stress, aging, lack of quality sleep. He recommended some herbal supplement VS clomid with anastrozole. Still try to decide if I should try either. My muscle recovery is definitely WAY slower than when I was younger. Sore for days after just a 3 mile run.

Ran 2.95 mile in 26.41. 9:04 per mile pace. Not too bad considering I haven't ran in 3 weeks. My cardio is good, just my legs are sore for days after running.

I am still thinking about doing a triathlon. My swimming still sucks but I know I can swim the distance for sure, just need more open water experience. I know how to ride a bike, but never done it as a sport. My other issue is that triathlon is just not a priority. If it is, I can do it for sure. By doing these endurance training, I have no time or energy left to do weights. And I don't want to lose muscle mass.

Lucas Simon

Pigeon
Catholic
Ran 2.95 mile in 26.41. 9:04 per mile pace. Not too bad considering I haven't ran in 3 weeks. My cardio is good, just my legs are sore for days after running.

I am still thinking about doing a triathlon. My swimming still sucks but I know I can swim the distance for sure, just need more open water experience. I know how to ride a bike, but never done it as a sport. My other issue is that triathlon is just not a priority. If it is, I can do it for sure. By doing these endurance training, I have no time or energy left to do weights. And I don't want to lose muscle mass.
Great stuff man.. it's a journey and your at it. Long term fitness goals and more importantly injury free are what guys in their 40's and up should be doing!