Need recommendations for a cheap, quality bike for under $100?

Hindu Man

Sparrow
Since it is summer and the weather is nice outside, I need recommendations for a cheap, quality bike (preferably under $100).

I am seeing bikes (Diamondback, etc) are in the $400 to $1,000 price range. I rather not spend that much, as I will just casually bike around my neighborhood--once in a while. I don't need anything too fancy; just something that is safe and reliable.

I live in the United States.

Last edited:

jarlo

Sparrow
Under 100 will not get you a quality bike. Cheapest I'd look for is the 150-200 range, you might be able to get a decent used hybrid off Craigslist for that price. New bikes at any bike shop will start at $300, and almost all Walmart bikes are pieces of crap which will fall apart within months.

If you live in the United States, visit your local Walmart. Or check out your options on Amazon. Either way, you should be able to get a semi decent bicycle for just a little over $100... But keep in mind that such a bike will not last or put up with abuse, like a Cannondale or GT would.

Don't forget to buy a helmet and lights! : )

Hindu Man

Sparrow
Under 100 will not get you a quality bike. Cheapest I'd look for is the 150-200 range, you might be able to get a decent used hybrid off Craigslist for that price. New bikes at any bike shop will start at $300, and almost all Walmart bikes are pieces of crap which will fall apart within months.
I will try out a $100 bike: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-26-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/299035532

If you live in the United States, visit your local Walmart. Or check out your options on Amazon. Either way, you should be able to get a semi decent bicycle for just a little over $100... But keep in mind that such a bike will not last or put up with abuse, like a Cannondale or GT would.

Don't forget to buy a helmet and lights! : )
Any recommendations for helmets?

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
If you have tools and some basic mechanical knowledge, there are plenty of bikes for under $100. Police auctions are drowning in bikes, try one of them.

We have community bike centers here where parts are stocked in bins and are dirt cheap.

I bought my son a really good Haro bike that needed work. A seat, pedal, grips and brake lever was $10 and the bike was $110. A little bit of touch up paint. Brand new it was $750. I will sell it next year when he outgrows it for $250.

You’d be better off getting a low tier vintage bike instead of a Walmart bike. The ride quality would be much better. But you’ll probably need parts.
CEBC779C-0695-426A-8807-1AF1699CCC21.jpeg
Paid $125. New tires, inner tube, saddle, and lock added $100. Would’ve went to my local co-op, but they’re still closed -_-.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Well, if you are looking for a good quality bike for less than $100, why not look into buying a used bike?

Check out https://www.localbiketrader.com/. Just enter your zip code and choose the type of bike you are looking for (i.e., Commuting, Comfort, Mountain, Road, etc.).

If you are lucky, there are top quality brand names' used bikes that you could possibly buy for $100 or less - i.e., Bianchi, Schwinn, Raleigh, Nishiki, Miyata, Cannondale, KHS, Giant, KHS, etc.

The problem with used bicycles is that there can be much more wear and tear than what the naked eye reveals. And so either be a good bike mechanic, or be ready to spend a lot more money, if you go the used bike route.

The problem with used bicycles is that there can be much more wear and tear than what the naked eye reveals. And so either be a good bike mechanic, or be ready to spend a lot more money, if you go the used bike route.
Wear and tear won’t be all that bad. The safe bet is to make sure the bike is make out of 4130 steel. The chance of a steel bike having fatal damage is super low. I’ve had bikes from Schwinn, Giant, Miyata, and now Nishiki, all without issue. A quick once over is usually enough.

Last edited:
Second hand is a good way to get things for better prices. I agree with the others. I've bought some of my best stuff second hand, just have to be picky about it, ask questions, test if you can to find the right previous owner.
One of my best second hand buys was a 1080p projector I used for home theatre. The guy had it less than 6 months and upgraded to a 4k or something, so he sold it for less than half price of retail. I paid something like 140 bucks for it, with a brand new bulb (the most common thing to go first and need replacing on that kind of hardware)

I got 3 great years of use out of it before I accidentally broke the internal screen which would have cost too much to replace.
Got a similar deal on my speakers for the same home theatre. 100 bucks for a 5.1 with 5 disc dvd changer. Granted, these buys were 10 years ago so there's some inflation and tech advances to consider.

Last edited:

Tex Cruise

Kingfisher
I think second hand is the right choice for that sort of money. A new $100 bike is going to be absolute garbage build-quality wise. I bought one for my son once. Had buckled wheels straight out of the box, and was landfill within a few days.

One thing to watch for though, Did you say in another thread that you're quite tall, 6'4" or something? Not many bikes are designed for taller riders, and although the seat and handlebars can be adjusted it still doesn't change the frame length and so is not ideal.
I was really fortunate with my current bike, about an $800-$900 bike that a second hand dealer friend of mine picked up and sold to me for I think it was $50. It's the largest frame size that company makes, designed for riders over 6'. Once I rode it and found how comfortable it was I realized every bike I'd ever had was too small for me

In the Philippines they actually build bicycle frames from bamboo, and I plan to get one. They look pretty cool! Yes, being very tall can suck when it comes to finding the right size bike. I am only 6'2 but the standard bike size is too small for me.

Hindu Man

Sparrow
I think second hand is the right choice for that sort of money. A new $100 bike is going to be absolute garbage build-quality wise. I bought one for my son once. Had buckled wheels straight out of the box, and was landfill within a few days.

One thing to watch for though, Did you say in another thread that you're quite tall, 6'4" or something? Not many bikes are designed for taller riders, and although the seat and handlebars can be adjusted it still doesn't change the frame length and so is not ideal.
I was really fortunate with my current bike, about an $800-$900 bike that a second hand dealer friend of mine picked up and sold to me for I think it was $50. It's the largest frame size that company makes, designed for riders over 6'. Once I rode it and found how comfortable it was I realized every bike I'd ever had was too small for me
Yes, I'm 6'4" and I think I need a 29 incher.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Most bikes are measured by the size the top tube. You’ll need a 60cm (20’’) or higher for your size. 29 incher is the wheel size.
Also, it depends on the type of bike (mountain, road, casual, etc.).

This is a simple Bike Size Chart (your height) to follow:
4’11” – 5’3″ = 13 – 15 inches
5’3″ – 5’7″ = 15 – 16 inches
5’7″ – 5’11” = 16 – 17 inches
6’0″ – 6’2″ = 17 – 19 inches
6’2″ – 6’4″ = 19 – 21 inches
6’4″ and taller = 21+ inches

Source

Otherwise, if one is looking at a fancy bike (i.e., mountain or road bike), then the bike size chart will be different.