Need to edit 6000 listings on my ecommerce website, there is no bulk editing tool for it.....anyone have any suggestions?

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Not sure if this is the correct sub forum but I figured RooshV would be a good place to ask because I know a lot of guys here have internet based businesses.

I do ecommerce my items are all standardized with the same pricing, I have 6000 listing with variations for each listing each variation has the same price across the board. Shipping has increased dramatically and even before that I had considered raising the price on two specific variations. They are all uniform in pricing so it should be easy as they all need to be increased by the same amount, I figured I would just use a feed and "find/replace" and all set....unfortunately the company I use for my website doesn't have any way to bulk edit variations! So right now I'm stuck clicking on close to 6000 individual listings, then opening the variations tab, then clicking through to the variations and then manually changed the price for the two variations.......6000 times! This really isn't feasible and the last thing I want to do is tie up so much time doing it that I could spend doing more important things.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

zoom

Kingfisher
Gold Member
So you are editing each page individually? If so then there are advanced find and replace tools available that could do the job. You would do a find and replace query for whatever directory the pages are in such as /products.

If you can't figure it out then you could always hire someone on upwork.com.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Thanks for the reply fellas, yes I'm stuck editing them individually. Problem is I have to click through 3 pages to get to the page with the variation prices to do the find and replace. You guys have any idea what a script like that would usually go for? I don't really have any experience with that but definitely open to it.....

kel

Ostrich
If you can figure out a way to download the appropriate files you can do it with some regex magic, too. Or, someone could at least. Selenium works, too, probably. I don't know where such things are posted nowadays but a freelancer, especially one in Romania or India or another such place should easily be able to do it for like $10-20.

doodydota

Chicken
Are you using a website builder + hosting service like Squarespace where the only way to edit data is through the interface on the webpage? I've in the past used the "autoit" script to automate navigating websites. However it's a very dirty way of doing things. If you need to change those prices on a regular basis I'd look for a different solution.

Is your site public? Can you post a screenshot or the website?

Last edited:

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
If you can figure out a way to download the appropriate files you can do it with some regex magic, too. Or, someone could at least. Selenium works, too, probably. I don't know where such things are posted nowadays but a freelancer, especially one in Romania or India or another such place should easily be able to do it for like $10-20.

Thank you Kel, is this the selenium you are referring to:

First thing on their site is a banner to support black lives matter....great.

Really not good with this stuff, I don't think it would be all that difficult to create a script considering everything is uniform but really don't know where to start with it.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I have some experience with web automation...but if this is something complex enough to need a script to be written (e.g. selenium) it would cost $$$

I’m not looking to get something for free, I definitely understand time and skills costs money! Would much rather give my money to a fellow brother here instead of some random Indian guy even if costs more....

username

Ostrich
Gold Member
Yea there is a bulk inventory file but it doesn’t have functionality to edit variation prices....

Is that what you are referring to?

So you can export the 6,000 listings? And later can import the 6,000 listings?

If so, can very easily update the pricing.

Steps: Export all, find and replace prices, import updated listings.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
So you can export the 6,000 listings? And later can import the 6,000 listings?

If so, can very easily update the pricing.

Steps: Export all, find and replace prices, import updated listings.

No, as i said it doesn’t have the function to edit variation pricing. The support has confirmed this.

Each listing has 8 variation option and there are two variations where the pricing needs to be increased. The pricing is all uniform across all items.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
It's a very simple change, the variation prices are all the same and need to be replaced by the same amount for all of them. Pretty much find 14.99 and replace with 15.99, find 18.99 and replace with 19.99. Every venue I sell on I can do this easily with a feed but for my dumb archaic website it has to be done individually, clicking through 3 pages to get to the page with the variation pricing, making the change and then saving it.....6000 times! The support team for the platform has no help to offer other than to say "we'll consider this functionality for the future".....

Yeah, the change seems easy enough but without direct access to the database or your website engine's API, I don't think anything can be done. I guess a script can be written to mimic your manual edit operation but seems over the top, to be honest.

nicolahcm

Pigeon
You can write a script that repeat the manual edit 6000 times, which is not always feasible (for this you do not really need programming experience, you can look at python pyautogui for clicking and typing).
Editing the db you need some more programming experience. Or communicating with an API, which requires some knowledge.