Netflix Thread

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member

jarlo

Woodpecker
So I won't give money to pedo orgs, and despite it falling out of fashion you can still find everything on torrent trackers (you can stream an awful lot, too, even). Also, I'm gradually collecting media for just that reason - books are being banned or rewritten, movies and TV shows are being black holed or censored or "reimagined" to match the narrative, etc. You have to own media in a format that can not be changed or taken away (e.g. physical books, movies in physical format or a .mp4 file that you have on your harddrive). This is going to be a serious problem in the very near future, I think.
Is it really a problem? The whole idea of torrents is that they facilitate decentralized sharing, and so while governments can go after torrent tracking aggregators (e.g. PirateBay), a new one will just pop up in its place, and the torrents themselves are unaffected.

Castelnau

Kingfisher
I want to cancel Netflix but my dad uses my account and he's all by himself during covid so I feel bad denying him something that gives him some entertainment. And I can't resist watching some shows 10-20 years ago when TV wasn't total crap like it is now. I'll look to cancel later in the year.

But I discovered viewing restrictions can blacklist specific shows so I've been blocking a bunch of titles like Cuties or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (normalizing Satan) or anything with a drag queen. Now I don't have to see the those titles when I just browse.

Cal Meacham

Pigeon
They are optioning more from Asian markets, which bypasses some apparent requirement that there has to be diversity or subversive cultural qualities to get things produced domestically.

I saw a South Korean miniseries called Sweet Home. There was no diversity. No gay characters. One of the main characters was openly Christian and stayed true to himself while wielding a katana against cursed people who turned into monsters.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
My apologies if someone already mentioned this, but the docu-drama series "Manhunt" is excellent. I just finished the first season about the Unabomber and the sixth episode (out of eight, which are all good) was brilliantly scripted and directed. I've watched part of the second season about Eric Rudolph and it appears to be really good also.

There doesn't appear to be any woke or politically correct nonsense in it. In fact, it treats the mainstream media with derision, especially with the way they treated Richard Jewell. They are just as harsh as Clint Eastwood's movie was on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and its unethical "journalist" Kathy Scruggs. The show also depicts the FBI leadership as imperious charlatans and martinets, which we know from the events of the last four years is likely the truth.

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member
8b31f61f3c9421d1.jpeg

stugatz

Pelican
I first heard of Netflix in 2004. Netflix would actually send you a movie DVD in the mail. You watch it, then return it to Netflix. This part of Netflix actually still exists if you can believe that.

Until the Cuties thing made me stay away for good, I was one of those people well up until late 2019. (I'm 33, and my friends called me the youngest boomer they'd ever met.)

I got analysis paralysis when I wanted to watch a movie and had literally hundreds of choices. This way, I could just queue up a list of movies I needed to see, and they'd come two at a time. It was great!

The occasional one would come scratched, though - and sometimes you'd request a movie that they had buried, and they'd take forever to get it to you.

stugatz

Pelican
For a free streaming Netflix alternative with a decent enough selection, I recommend TubiTV. It comes with a catch, though - they pound you with ads every so often. I'm into enough old movies and indie movies, though, where there's always something to watch.

Sitting Bull

Woodpecker
For a free streaming Netflix alternative with a decent enough selection, I recommend TubiTV. It comes with a catch, though - they pound you with ads every so often. I'm into enough old movies and indie movies, though, where there's always something to watch.

Also TubiTV is not available in Europe at the moment.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I've been watching The Queen's Gambit lately, and I really like it as it slightly resembles Searching For Bobby Fischer. Minimal SJW crap so far, although I'm only a few episodes in.

If you can appreciate chess, you'll probably dig this series as it touches on certain strategies used in tournaments along with the tournament process.

But beyond the chess aspect, there's a good story here about an orphaned girl who goes on to become a chess champion despite not having a good home life or any real family.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
If you can use a torrent website I see no reason to pay for any streaming service. I gave Netflix a try and the only positive is the way it feeds you recommendations. The "HD" streaming quality is subpar, more compressed than a basic 720p .mkv file and their selection is very limited. I could find maybe 2 out of every 10 movies I searched for. There are no such issues with the free private trackers I use.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been watching The Crown and am about halfway through season 3. The photography/cinematography is superlative, some of the best I've ever seen in a TV show. So far, there hasn't been any social justice nonsense or leftist historical revisionism, as far as I can see. The show has treated the Tories and Labour equally. Of course, the writers have taken considerable dramatic license with the history of the House of Windsor since the 1930s, but I guess it's to be expected. It's a drama, not a documentary.

It reminds me that sometime I want to write an essay about how I, as an American, view the history of the UK/Great Britain from the perspective of its peerage and aristocratic feudal system. In my experience, including on this forum, I understand that the people, of all political persuasions, from that country have complex and conflicting feelings about the upper class in the UK, and often express their feelings about it with ridicule and resentment. Perhaps I'm wrong, but from what I've seen and read, the pressure put on members of the UK's ruling/upper class by their honor system (The Four Feathers, etc) and social mores was a source of strength and was one of the reasons for the resiliency of the British Empire and helped make it one of the great empires in world history. Great Britain ultimately defeated Napoleon, for example, one of the most brilliant military masterminds. Arthur Wellesley (1st Duke of Wellington) was from an aristocratic family.

Salinger

Kingfisher
If you can use a torrent website I see no reason to pay for any streaming service. I gave Netflix a try and the only positive is the way it feeds you recommendations. The "HD" streaming quality is subpar, more compressed than a basic 720p .mkv file and their selection is very limited. I could find maybe 2 out of every 10 movies I searched for. There are no such issues with the free private trackers I use.

Aren't you limited in watching those movies on your phone or computer? I assume there's no way to stream them on your TV, is there?

Sitting Bull

Woodpecker
If you can use a torrent website I see no reason to pay for any streaming service.

Once in a while, there's an item that you can't find on torrent websites (that's admittedly rare though). About a year ago, I subscribed to Netflix for a month just to be able to watch the Wanted Australian TV series and a few other items which I was unable to find anywhere else.

Currently, I can't find the 2016 film Disorder on any torrent.

Last edited:

tothepoint

Woodpecker
Aren't you limited in watching those movies on your phone or computer? I assume there's no way to stream them on your TV, is there?

If it's a smart TV you can set up a NAS drive and you will be able to stream the movies from there. Otherwise you need to connect your computer through HDMI. For phones there are docking stations that should allow that.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Haven't done it in a few years but I used to download torrented movies/shows to an external hard drive which I could then hook up to the TV via USB. Think it had to go through a Blu Ray player at the time, Rokus/Fire Sticks/etc may have USB input ports as well but I've never actually checked.

JayR

Woodpecker
I connect a little stick computer to the TV's HDMI input:

1614612921531.png
You can control it from the couch with a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo like the Logitech K400. The stick computer can run a VPN, Bittorrent, VLC, etc. so you can download and watch from the Compute-Stick on your big TV.