Neuralink - Elon Musk Unveils New Implant Which Enables The Brain to Control Devices

I know nothing about neurology and haven't followed any related technology. Maybe my viewpoint is irrelevant for multiple reasons, however...

What strikes me as dystopian is the immediate adaptation of this tech into a cell linked device. Musk even assures a joking question about whether this device could hail a Tesla car. I personally think it's incredible we are learning to interface nerves/neurons in an electrical capacity. There may be many disabilities that could be treated with electrical impulses rather than chemical treatments involving pills.

Imagine how few security, personal identity, and other ethical concerns could be mitigated if this was not a brain implant. To my uneducated stance they could be using their electrode "stitching" technology to correct spinal injuries and the like. Instead it looks like an implantable smartphone is the path they took with multi-platform interaction. It's imposing tech onto the human brain instead of using tech to heal actual maladies.

But is it incorrect? Looking throughout human history, was there any society that was able to defend itself on its own without modern technology of that time?

Instead of wearable tech it's implantable. Not only does it damage the body in the process. It cannot be as easily opted out. And other dystopian problems as another commentators before me had stated.

If it was let's say a device that magnetically interfaces with brain even as it is worn I would have less objection.

wannable alpha

Woodpecker
A part of the skull will be taken out and replaced with this device that is the size of a coin, feels very invasive and permanent to me. Good for people with brain and spinal damage as he claims, but beyond my comfort zone.

What if someone hacks it? There was an Outer Limits episode about a similar device where people directly download info in their brain instead of reading and learning about a particular subject. The system malfunctions and starts overloading everyone with useless trivia and too much information.

The whole Neurolink project arose because of the concern for singularity. Singularity, when AI surpasses humans in every form of intelligence, poses an extinction level threat to humanity.

Right now humans are on a race with AI, and AI is coming up on us at an exponential speed. Without some form of artificial assistance, it is inevitable that we will be left in the dust. When an intelligence that is 10,000,000x smarter than us rule the earth, it will not be able to relate to our primitive thoughts, it will have no empathy for our existence. Humans will be wiped off the face of the earth or at best become a relic of the ecosystem where only enough are kept alive like the Panda bears.

Of course all of this is speculative, but someone has to tackle these deep futuristic problems. The threat may never come, but if it does, it is going to come hard and fast, and we will not be ready for it.

That being said, Neurolink is not anywhere close to its objective. Elon is tackling an intellectual, scientific, even philosophical mysteries that is way more challenging than going to the mars or developing environmentally safe cars. The working of the mind is so complex and we have no means of tapping into that process. Well other than functional MRI and some EEG. It's like X-raying your laptop to learn how a computer works.

It's one thing to be able to externally stimulate some neurons and get a stroke patient walking again, or using your mind to control a cursor on the computer screen. But to download information into the brain and connect the consciousness of multiple humans? We don't even know where to begin.

Imagine a robot programmed with a language that no one can decode or even get access to the codes, and you jam some wires into its outer shell and zap it with electricity. Yeah it'll cause one of its arms or legs to move or twitch if you zap the right spot, but it does nothing to in terms of changing the internal programming codes. Or like clamping 2 alligator clips to you Tesla, zapping it with random voltage thinking you can upgrade its software. That is how primitive we are with Neurolink.

And back to the more practical problem. Meningitis. You don't want to put anything close to your brain unless it will drastically improve your life. It is bad enough when pacemakers get infected. If a brain implant gets infected, even infecting the outer coating of your brain, you can be mentally incapacitated for life.

I command Must for tackling this monumental task, but right now it's nothing more than a gimmick, a parlor show. At the best it will help neurologically damaged patients. But got to start somewhere.

Blade Runner

Pelican
Without some form of artificial assistance, it is inevitable that we will be left in the dust. When an intelligence that is 10,000,000x smarter than us rule the earth, it will not be able to relate to our primitive thoughts, it will have no empathy for our existence. Humans will be wiped off the face of the earth or at best become a relic of the ecosystem where only enough are kept alive like the Panda bears.

How is something created by humans smarter than a human? We have dealt with these questions, they are the fiction of scientific materialists. An AI, even if advanced, cannot be described by human instincts or emotions, it renders language not only insufficient, but foolish ("empathy"?).

AI is, and has always been, marketing. It will always be controlled by a human, in one way or another, and can never supercede humans. Its handlers can make a show of things, though, and as we've seen they will use the show for greater power and control. Just like in business ventures with "AI" which also have doomsday stories as part of their lore.

@Blade Runner - How can you be so sure that we cannot create something that is smarter than us? Like I said, it is speculative. But does not mean someone, some where in the world should not prepare for the possibility.

And even if it is not "smarter" than humans does not mean it will not be powerful enough to destroy us. Look at nuclear weapons. Humans can easily through his own creation, destroy itself.

And you are exactly right, a super intelligent AI will not behave within the realms of our linguistic description, therefore lacking "empathy" as in unable to relate.

Anyways - Singularity is another topic. All I am saying for the sake of this thread is that is the reason he is doing Neurolink.

Stats

Woodpecker
The whole Neurolink project arose because of the concern for singularity. Singularity, when AI surpasses humans in every form of intelligence, poses an extinction level threat to humanity.

Right now humans are on a race with AI, and AI is coming up on us at an exponential speed. Without some form of artificial assistance, it is inevitable that we will be left in the dust. When an intelligence that is 10,000,000x smarter than us rule the earth, it will not be able to relate to our primitive thoughts, it will have no empathy for our existence. Humans will be wiped off the face of the earth or at best become a relic of the ecosystem where only enough are kept alive like the Panda bears.

Of course all of this is speculative, but someone has to tackle these deep futuristic problems. The threat may never come, but if it does, it is going to come hard and fast, and we will not be ready for it.

That being said, Neurolink is not anywhere close to its objective. Elon is tackling an intellectual, scientific, even philosophical mysteries that is way more challenging than going to the mars or developing environmentally safe cars. The working of the mind is so complex and we have no means of tapping into that process. Well other than functional MRI and some EEG. It's like X-raying your laptop to learn how a computer works.

It's one thing to be able to externally stimulate some neurons and get a stroke patient walking again, or using your mind to control a cursor on the computer screen. But to download information into the brain and connect the consciousness of multiple humans? We don't even know where to begin.

Imagine a robot programmed with a language that no one can decode or even get access to the codes, and you jam some wires into its outer shell and zap it with electricity. Yeah it'll cause one of its arms or legs to move or twitch if you zap the right spot, but it does nothing to in terms of changing the internal programming codes. Or like clamping 2 alligator clips to you Tesla, zapping it with random voltage thinking you can upgrade its software. That is how primitive we are with Neurolink.

And back to the more practical problem. Meningitis. You don't want to put anything close to your brain unless it will drastically improve your life. It is bad enough when pacemakers get infected. If a brain implant gets infected, even infecting the outer coating of your brain, you can be mentally incapacitated for life.

I command Must for tackling this monumental task, but right now it's nothing more than a gimmick, a parlor show. At the best it will help neurologically damaged patients. But got to start somewhere.
This seems like a nice story... but what better way for a super ai to take over humanity then to get a chip in every ones brain.

Also autonamous vehicles hooked up to the cloud sounds like the perfect plan where every one spends tens of thousands to buy a robot that can potentially be reprogrammed with a few lines one code to roam the streets and kill all humans. not just your car but ALL cars across the glob at the same time.

Last edited:

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
I think Musk's real goal is to control women's minds since he is still so blue pilled he has not come to grips with AWALT and needs a geek gimmick to keep them from divorcing him for another. $100M... It's really just divorce insurance he gets to control his bishes as a more human form of a Stepford wife... I an sure CH would have some interesting insights... Someone needs to help Elon get a clue:

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
The objections here fall into a few categories:

-AI isn't a long term threat to humanity, so neuralink isn't needed
-Too invasive and shouldn't be forced on people, it's a globalist plan to control people (though no one on this forum is ever able to give a full logical explanation of who the globalists are and what their objective is)
-Any time humans try to improve themselves with technology, it's an affront to God.
-I hate Elon Musk

I say:

-AI is a threat, and is advancing faster than we predicted. China will eat our lunch if we don't take the lead on these technologies,
-It's not mandatory (yet?), and the degree to which companies already know everything about us from monitoring our internet activity, communications, and surveillance cameras, individual autonomy has been disappearing for a long time.
-Should those with disabilities just give up on life and say it's God's will? Is using a wheelchair "man's attempt at glorified body apart from God"? It's pretty unnatural after all, back in the day the tribe would have left them for dead and moved on.
-Musk is a quirky guy, but given that he's seen the destruction in South Africa, I would say he's far more sympathetic to red-piled thinking than any other tech titan. He even tweeted "take the red pill" a couple months ago. Have any other tech titans appeared on Joe Rogan for a genuine conversation? How often do you hear him parrot SJW talking points, compared to the Google, Facebook, and Amazon folks? When has Tesla or SpaceX pushed censorship of conservative voices?

Instead of wearable tech it's implantable. Not only does it damage the body in the process. It cannot be as easily opted out. And other dystopian problems as another commentators before me had stated.

If it was let's say a device that magnetically interfaces with brain even as it is worn I would have less objection.

Well no one is being forced to use it. If you were unable to walk I don't think you would have the same objections.

How is something created by humans smarter than a human? We have dealt with these questions, they are the fiction of scientific materialists. An AI, even if advanced, cannot be described by human instincts or emotions, it renders language not only insufficient, but foolish ("empathy"?).

AI is, and has always been, marketing. It will always be controlled by a human, in one way or another, and can never supercede humans. Its handlers can make a show of things, though, and as we've seen they will use the show for greater power and control. Just like in business ventures with "AI" which also have doomsday stories as part of their lore.

AI can now defeat pilots in combat flight and in most video games.

Have you seen demonstrations of GPT-3? AI is now able to write just as well as humans.

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
This could be ZeroHedge looking for anything to deride Effette Elon with.
Perhaps MIT are butt-hurt about something.

Yet all the same, it is Effette Elon we're talking about. Not exactly the type to deliver as promised on any sort of frequent basis...

The objections here fall into a few categories:

-AI isn't a long term threat to humanity, so neuralink isn't needed
-Too invasive and shouldn't be forced on people, it's a globalist plan to control people (though no one on this forum is ever able to give a full logical explanation of who the globalists are and what their objective is)
-Any time humans try to improve themselves with technology, it's an affront to God.
-I hate Elon Musk

I say:

-AI is a threat, and is advancing faster than we predicted. China will eat our lunch if we don't take the lead on these technologies,
-It's not mandatory (yet?), and the degree to which companies already know everything about us from monitoring our internet activity, communications, and surveillance cameras, individual autonomy has been disappearing for a long time.
-Should those with disabilities just give up on life and say it's God's will? Is using a wheelchair "man's attempt at glorified body apart from God"? It's pretty unnatural after all, back in the day the tribe would have left them for dead and moved on.
-Musk is a quirky guy, but given that he's seen the destruction in South Africa, I would say he's far more sympathetic to red-piled thinking than any other tech titan. He even tweeted "take the red pill" a couple months ago. Have any other tech titans appeared on Joe Rogan for a genuine conversation? How often do you hear him parrot SJW talking points, compared to the Google, Facebook, and Amazon folks? When has Tesla or SpaceX pushed censorship of conservative voices?

Well no one is being forced to use it. If you were unable to walk I don't think you would have the same objections.

AI can now defeat pilots in combat flight and in most video games.

Have you seen demonstrations of GPT-3? AI is now able to write just as well as humans.

Hubris. And a slippery slope. You think it will stop there?

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
Hubris. And a slippery slope. You think it will stop there?

So of all of humanity's amazing medical inventions over thousands of years, none of them were hubris and this is? If you think previous inventions were bad as well, please point me to the exact moment in human history when we had the proper level of development, and anything more was then crossing the line into hubris and showing the arrogance of humanity.

So of all of humanity's amazing medical inventions over thousands of years, none of them were hubris and this is? If you think previous inventions were bad as well, please point me to the exact moment in human history when we had the proper level of development, and anything more was then crossing the line into hubris and showing the arrogance of humanity.
Why did I come to this conclusion. The Post-Human body pushed forward by transhumanists.

And see if that isn't an imitation of the Glorified body.

You know what else. Mind uploading.

Sure I am fine with correcting the genetic code to eliminate disease in future generations as a result of Germline editing. But I don't trust in human wickedness.