Neuralink - Elon Musk Unveils New Implant Which Enables The Brain to Control Devices

ilostabet

Pelican
So of all of humanity's amazing medical inventions over thousands of years, none of them were hubris and this is? If you think previous inventions were bad as well, please point me to the exact moment in human history when we had the proper level of development, and anything more was then crossing the line into hubris and showing the arrogance of humanity.

The development of the modern steam-engine (and consequent start of the industrial revolution): the first piece of machinery to be completely independent of geography, weather, season and human labor.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
The development of the modern steam-engine (and consequent start of the industrial revolution): the first piece of machinery to be completely independent of geography, weather, season and human labor.

Well then in that case eventually someone else would have and we'd all be speaking Japanese or Chinese now.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
They will need some sort of intermediary step(s) before people will adopt this.

I think psylocybin is an example of an intermediary, consciousness will be altered before the chip goes in. The public needs 'lighter' examples of mind alteration before accepting this.

ilostabet

Pelican
Well then in that case eventually someone else would have and we'd all be speaking Japanese or Chinese now.

Believe it or not the steam engine itself was invented in Roman Egypt in the 1st century AD. It was only rationalized and put to use in England in the 18th Century however. Honestly I think only the post-Englightenment West would lead to the kind of society that creates such a demonic machine and lets it out to wreak havoc on society (or in progressive terms, to 'advance it'). In Catholic countries, despite developments in that very technology, the Church worked very hard to suppress them, including sentencing people to prison, like Bento de Moura, for example.

And definitely not the Japanese, who were always very conscious of the impact of their inventions on the balance and stability of life (both social life and nature), as exemplified by their roll back of gun manufacturing not once, but twice in their history - and their perpetual tendency for isolationism and stability (or as progressives call it 'stagnation'). The Chinese maybe, but then again, after being the type of civilization which elevates means above ends and always churn out technical developments, they went through so many revolutions (typical, as we also see in Western history) that they had stalled - and maybe purposefully, but I don't know as much about Chinese history as I do of Japanese.

Believe it or not the steam engine itself was invented in Roman Egypt in the 1st century AD. It was only rationalized and put to use in England in the 18th Century however. Honestly I think only the post-Englightenment West would lead to the kind of society that creates such a demonic machine and lets it out to wreak havoc on society (or in progressive terms, to 'advance it'). In Catholic countries, despite developments in that very technology, the Church worked very hard to suppress them, including sentencing people to prison, like Bento de Moura, for example.

And definitely not the Japanese, who were always very conscious of the impact of their inventions on the balance and stability of life (both social life and nature), as exemplified by their roll back of gun manufacturing not once, but twice in their history - and their perpetual tendency for isolationism and stability (or as progressives call it 'stagnation'). The Chinese maybe, but then again, after being the type of civilization which elevates means above ends and always churn out technical developments, they went through so many revolutions (typical, as we also see in Western history) that they had stalled - and maybe purposefully, but I don't know as much about Chinese history as I do of Japanese.

If one wants to really avoid settled Civilization. There is always the Nomadic route. Like how the Central Asians like the Mongols lived.

Dispense with Cities altogether.

Towing the Ger with your horses:

And leading the rest of the Herds with you on annual migration routes.

Until Gunpowder the Nomads always lived free and harsh lives. But one riven with cruelty and violence unfortunately.

Technology by necessity became limited in its development.

ilostabet

Pelican
If one wants to really avoid settled Civilization. There is always the Nomadic route. Like how the Central Asians like the Mongols lived.

Dispense with Cities altogether.

Towing the Ger with your horses:

And leading the rest of the Herds with you on annual migration routes.

Until Gunpowder the Nomads always lived free and harsh lives. But one riven with cruelty and violence unfortunately.

Technology by necessity became limited in its development.

There is a middle ground between Nomadic lives and Civilization. In Chronicles the Biblical writers (and hence God) condemn the cities, but not endorse necessarily nomads versus settlers.

ilostabet

Pelican
But hey, we're talking about nomads, settlers, simple country lives - and yet, nowadays, it seems that it might be too much to ask to not have brain implants, as evidenced by this very thread.

TheFinalEpic

Pelican
Gold Member
I'm speculative of AI from my personal study of it - it's just statistics. The hype around it is garbage, and is just more effective use of computer resources as they ramp up mostly on the GPU side these days.

Moore's law is also pretty much dead, so the next step has to be quantum computers, another bit of hype.

Intelligence is not just knowing all the 'facts' of the day - and these "facts" are going to be skewed as they already are - how are you supposed to make any effective inferances from false truths?

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
But hey, we're talking about nomads, settlers, simple country lives - and yet, nowadays, it seems that it might be too much to ask to not have brain implants, as evidenced by this very thread.

It's an important point, though since my point is that if you don't want to become weak and completely at the mercy of your enemies then you have to adapt to new technologies, including potentially invasive technologies like neuralink. It will improve cognition and help millions of otherwise welfare dependent disabled people become productive members of society. Asia will not have as much hesitation to adopt it, and Japan is just as technologically integrated as we are, regardless of what their pre-Meiji ideology was.

Since the beginning of life itself, there's been nonstop competition for resources and domination, and humans have only accelerated it via technology. The SJWs are completely blind to the reality that the strong always conquer the weak.

Having the first mover advantage on technology is an advantage, and is necessary in an anarchic world where nations can ultimately only rely on themselves (and perhaps their co-ethnics or co-believers) for security. No amount of complaining about globalist control or hubris of man changes that.

ilostabet

Pelican
It's an important point, though since my point is that if you don't want to become weak and completely at the mercy of your enemies then you have to adapt to new technologies, including potentially invasive technologies like neuralink. It will improve cognition and help millions of otherwise welfare dependent disabled people become productive members of society. Asia will not have as much hesitation to adopt it, and Japan is just as technologically integrated as we are, regardless of what their pre-Meiji ideology was.

Since the beginning of life itself, there's been nonstop competition for resources and domination, and humans have only accelerated it via technology. The SJWs are completely blind to the reality that the strong always conquer the weak.

Having the first mover advantage on technology is an advantage, and is necessary in an anarchic world where nations can ultimately only rely on themselves (and perhaps their co-ethnics or co-believers) for security. No amount of complaining about globalist control or hubris of man changes that.

Suffering is preferable to losing your soul. Always. I don't care about the dark equilibriums of geopolitics.

Aboulia

Woodpecker

Productive in what way? Since when does society care about production? I don't know where you live, but last I checked, narcotics, alcohol, and vice were heavily promoted. Same does for your example of this helping cripples to walk again. I don't see the profit motive in that, and these technologies are never promoted without a profit motive, so that's not what it's for.

Only from the perspective of those who see the outside world as something to be controlled and dominated over, Mr Darwin. Your worldview taints the lens you see the world through. Seek after all the power you want, you'll find it's all in vain in the end. Power seeking behaviour ends in misery, the post-wall career driven women with zero kids are a testament to this.

What you're not asking, is what do you lose by going along with this? Every piece of technology has a cost. This one's cost is too high for many, myself included. If the Chinese "eat my lunch" that's okay. They'll get fat and lazy, and their civilization will fall eventually much like the American civilization is doing now.

There is a middle ground between Nomadic lives and Civilization. In Chronicles the Biblical writers (and hence God) condemn the cities, but not endorse necessarily nomads versus settlers.
Agreed. Only I think agriculture invariably lead to Cities. And Nomadic Societies invariably put limits that would retard said growth of cities or prevent them altogether.

ilostabet

Pelican
Agreed. Only I think agriculture invariably lead to Cities. And Nomadic Societies invariably put limits that would retard said growth of cities or prevent them altogether.

Agriculture may lead to cities, given enough time - I think that's an inbuilt pattern in humanity, because Cain was himself a farmer before he decided to build cities. But again, middle ground, because there is a gigantic difference between the city of the middle ages - an extension of the countryside and very agricultural - and the city of today - which is turns the countryside into an extension of the city.

Agriculture may lead to cities, given enough time - I think that's an inbuilt pattern in humanity, because Cain was himself a farmer before he decided to build cities. But again, middle ground, because there is a gigantic difference between the city of the middle ages - an extension of the countryside and very agricultural - and the city of today - which is turns the countryside into an extension of the city.

To return to that would require actual Peak Oil. This will result in hardship for everybody. But if it happens cities will shrink and will have to be dismantled like the buildings of Detroit.

Infrastructure shrinking and all materials repurposed.

ilostabet

Pelican
To return to that would require actual Peak Oil. This will result in hardship for everybody. But if it happens cities will shrink and will have to be dismantled like the buildings of Detroit.

Infrastructure shrinking and all materials repurposed.

There seem to be really only two options: either the world continues in its technological quest and ushers in the end times, or it reverts back to pre-industrial conditions. It all depends on God's plan.

There seem to be really only two options: either the world continues in its technological quest and ushers in the end times, or it reverts back to pre-industrial conditions. It all depends on God's plan.

What I find interesting about the Endtimes Nations is that they appear to be Pre-industrial. When the Armies of the Earth meet the returning King of Kings they are riding on horses to meet him in battle.(Revelation 19:17-19).

The birds are invited to eat the flesh of man and of their horses.

Maybe its metaphor or allegory but I wouldn't be surprised that Mankind has returned to the Pre-industrial at that point. God having cut their technological level down to size.

I don't see Mankind wielding great Mecha or fielding Tanks and other Technologically advanced ordinances against Jesus.

ilostabet

Pelican
What I find interesting about the Endtimes Nations is that they appear to be Pre-industrial. When the Armies of the Earth meet the returning King of Kings they are riding on horses to meet him in battle.(Revelation 19:17-19).

The birds are invited to eat the flesh of man and of their horses.

Maybe its metaphor or allegory but I wouldn't be surprised that Mankind has returned to the Pre-industrial at that point. God having cut their technological level down to size.

I don't see Mankind wielding great Mecha or fielding Tanks and other Technologically advanced ordinances against Jesus.

I'm not so sure about that. Put yourself in the shoes of a 1st century person describing the world of today. Even a person two hundred years ago would not have words to describe it, and it would be very hard to understand without those words. If we try to describe some thing that doesn't exist yet, we have to use words that already exist and approximate. Whenever I read Revelation I see it describing a technologically advanced world, just described with pre-industrial words, like for example in chapter 11, where 'all peoples' look upon the dead prophets. The only way this is possible is with instant communication and transmission.

NickK

Woodpecker
Good post. Let me add to this:

Between the fall of the Mycenaic civilization and the rise of the Greek city-state, there were the so-called "dark ages" which we know very little about, except that it was dominated by noble horsemen that made a living through animal husbandry. People couldn't settle and sow a field because it would be raided immedietly by noble horsemen. The result was no cities, until armored infantry and the phallanx was made possible.

Which gave birth to the best city life model a man can ever hope to live on this earth. A city ruled by middle class hoplite-farmers, with the mob and the nobles at the fringes of society. The political power rested with those that could protect the city, i.e. the hoplites. No rights for the leftist mob and the elites couldn't demand excessive rights because their horses couldn't defend anything effectively anymore.

Victor David Hanson's book "The Other Greeks: The famiy farm and the agrarian roots of western civilization" is brilliant.

The lesson here is: get loads of guns, move to to a rural area, form bonds with other farmers and develop a brotherhood and a small co-ordinated army.

Last edited: