Neuralink - Elon Musk Unveils New Implant Which Enables The Brain to Control Devices

Let's go Skynet, Black Mirror for a second.

Imagine someone got hold of the Boston Dynamic robot dogs. I can program it to visually recognize an electric outlet, enough basic information that tells it that electric outlets mostly are found inside buildings, and buildings are mostly in cities. Armed with GPS and google map and internet access, the robot dog embark on a mission to find an outlet within 3 hours otherwise it will run out of juice and "dies". That will be its only goal, to survive at all cost.

The dog can open doors or break it. If some projectile make strong impact or fast movement towards it, it will either move out of the way or knock it out of the way with its robot arms. Let's go a step further. Since the most likely enemy will be humans preventing the dogs from breaking and entering, we will arm the dog with a semi-automatic rife that will shoot anything that tries to harm him.

This dog is not sentient, but it can behave like any live animal, with the will to survive. There's a lot of discussion on the semantics of AI. I am not here to discuss semantics. The level of AI I just described is already here. These dogs can roam in packs, wireless connected where every dog knows the exact location of his pack members. If one dog is being attacked by a human, other dogs can literally see through his eyes and know the exact location of the assailant. Other dogs can literally shoot the man in the head with a rifle through the wall without looking.

We are not even getting to machine learning where dogs can quickly recognize patterns in humans and attack before we are ready.

I am not talking about sentient machine or consciousness, or singularity. All it take is for a machine to be programmed for self preservation at all cost, and we have Terminators running amok. Add the next level, the need to self replicate, much more difficult, but not impossible. In digital form, computer virus already does that. Artificial life is already around the corner. All it takes is an aspie, talented, anti-social programmer to produce a pack of Black Mirror dogs. Who knows how things will evolve in the next 10-20 years.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
Global consensuses don't matter, for example, in WW2, Eisenhower reclassified German POWs as DEF (Disarmed Enemy Forces) to avoid treating them by the Geneva Convention. America already has been using it's superior tech to exert control over much of the world for decades. Do you think democracy comes naturally after a revolution? How about LGBT issues in the third world?

Tell that to the Chinese when they vault ahead of us in economic, technological, and military strength. When we lose reserve currency status and the bill comes due for our insolvent military and welfare system. While we get left behind and talk about "bondage," and "sin of man."

I had similar thoughts.

I said in this thread that AI Singularity is impossible.
It is. On its own, a machine can never become sentient, it's impossible.
There is one way though and that's demonic possesion of the hardware. Idon't know if/how that's possible, but some Bible verses might be interpreted as such. (Apocalypse 13,15)

Interesting, but this isn't the core challenge. AI capability is skyrocketing vs. human ability in multiple domains and by the end of this decade we may have already attained human+ level performance in enough areas to make AGI a real possibility.

Tell that to the Chinese when they vault ahead of us in economic, technological, and military strength. When we lose reserve currency status and the bill comes due for our insolvent military and welfare system. While we get left behind and talk about "bondage," and "sin of man."

Interesting, but this isn't the core challenge. AI capability is skyrocketing vs. human ability in multiple domains and by the end of this decade we may have already attained human+ level performance in enough areas to make AGI a real possibility.

Empires rise. And Empires fall. This time is no different.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
This tech creeps people out but if someone is paralyzed and gets a chance to walk again can someone who is able to walk deny them this chance because it represents man's excess ambition? When the super soldiers come it's either compete or get wiped out.

skullmask

Woodpecker
I think a lot of the benefits are overhyped regarding what you can do with this. That said, the data from this would be invaluable for neuroscience. I also don't see a problem if it is used to do stuff like help people walk again.

What scares me is the idea of recording and recalling memories. If you think Google is bad just think what would happen if they could read your thoughts. Also, you could have malicious hackers gain access and implant false memories, and even false experience. They could take over your motor system and make you do things against your will.

The problem isn't tech it's the fact that people never think about what could go wrong, and whether the risks are such that we shouldnt attempt it at all, or limit what use cases are allowed.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
I think a lot of the benefits are overhyped regarding what you can do with this. That said, the data from this would be invaluable for neuroscience. I also don't see a problem if it is used to do stuff like help people walk again.

What scares me is the idea of recording and recalling memories. If you think Google is bad just think what would happen if they could read your thoughts. Also, you could have malicious hackers gain access and implant false memories, and even false experience. They could take over your motor system and make you do things against your will.

The problem isn't tech it's the fact that people never think about what could go wrong, and whether the risks are such that we shouldnt attempt it at all, or limit what use cases are allowed.
That's the nature of all technologies though - the Internet gave us this forum, but also Facebook and Tinder., nuclear energy and nuclear weapons, penicillin but big pharma, etc. This does have very scary implications if used for mind control but you can't deny how it can help the disabled or make manual labor 100x more productive and strong.

skullmask

Woodpecker
That's the nature of all technologies though - the Internet gave us this forum, but also Facebook and Tinder., nuclear energy and nuclear weapons, penicillin but big pharma, etc. This does have very scary implications if used for mind control but you can't deny how it can help the disabled or make manual labor 100x more productive and strong.
That's the problem, we have the ability to invent amazing things, but no moral compass, and no will to reign in the drawbacks. The people who run things are mostly ignorant of technology and won't act to curb things like big tech and big pharma. And then when they do move to do something, it generally benefits the aspects of tech that harms us, to the detriment of how it can benefit us.

I think if we can move our culture back to something more Godly and less materialistic/satanic a lot of these issues could be resolved.

I'll let Elon and the politicians try it first. I'm sure they're eager to be first in line to try it out. No way I would want to take their place if they really want/need it themselves :D