New job hiring site for the "unwoke"

I think there is some misunderstanding and conflating of issues when the blue/white collar dynamic is discussed. The idea of the white collar worker being a "cubicle drone" and wage slave working 80 hours weeks is a caricature and denigrates many essential operations of a midcap or larger corporation. Likewise to romanticize about a blue collar worker "setting his own hours" or being free from sensitivity training is equally misguided.

If you own your own business in a blue collar industry - Lets say a plumbing company for instance - You will earn more than 99.9% of white collar employees busting their ass 12hours a day for someone else's company.
TBH there are so many variables I'm not sure I can agree with that sentiment. The folks I knew in white collar roles busting more than 10 hour days were likely in senior management or sales living a stressful but rewarding life travelling and earning over $100k. Most had intact families but some were bachelors. The sales guys had some of the dirtiest minds of anyone I've worked with. Sensitivity training is for high school grads who moved out of an assistant role and got a cube away from the office door and a little closer to the coffee station.

The flip side is to have a successful small business (plumbing in this case) you would have done a 4 year apprenticeship or some other training regimen equaling a 4 year degree holder (albeit likely w/o the student debt). But life doesn't get better after that. You now have to start your business and grow it after that. Many fail. The ones that don't might end up on a 12 hour grind. Most do. Especially since the successful plumber is going to be the one on call 24 hrs for emergencies. And its not just swing wrenches and making stacks. You get to be senior management as well! Or hire out someone to manage your licensing, bonding, and AR and books.

The "New Green Energy Jobs" whatever are typically referred to as Blue Collar, it's not just working as a machine operator.
While the service engineer who would check on bearings and input shaft vibration of a wind turbine might literally show up in a Carhartt FR blue button up, he likely has a engineering degree and will spend the same amount of time after his service call writing a tech report after doing data analysis and putting together a parts package. That's a long way away from the Solar City guy working on a residential roof finding trusses. I think both represent the ideals (physical work)we associate with blue collar. The reality is one is more aligned with white collar roles despite the service nature of the work. Like FullThrottle said, blue collar traditionally means factory work. That physical work still will often come with the same sensitivity training the white collar coffee guy has to attend. As I pointed out above, the production floor guys probably are constrained even worse with strict break schedules.

Likewise, some small business guys get beaten down by the day to day operations of a small business. Driving a work truck to save some money and praying for some time they can take a vacation. Doesn't seem much different than an overworked buyer needing to work a Saturday remote from home. That's not freedom really. For as much of the "get out of your liberal area" sentiment there is around here these days, how does a small service business owner pick up and move?

Bottom line, as we have heard before, is MAKE YOURSELF INVALUABLE. Lots of college grads aren't because they didn't study something that provides a company real value. On top of that, they are basically a commodity. However, tradesmen might be more in demand these days, but they have been beaten down by the hourly rates. If you become a master of your trade, you'll have more success, but to me that's likely after busting your ass for years and sacrificing in other areas...same as the guy moving into senior management.

I think if you can do it and like the idea of trades, still go for that four year degree. Make sure its in STEM, or really dig into the business side of a degree and be ready to make up for your technical deficit working jobs "beneath you" afterward. Above all I'd say its worth some struggle to avoid being a cog on a production floor. Get elevated to maintenance or the improvement department. Its a career and dream killer being stuck on a forklift or plugging away at the same machine every day. No different that hitting your order quota in the backoffice.

Last edited:

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I'm from Detroit. Don't lecture me what blue collar work is, I'm the son of a factory workers.
Blue collar work means working in a factory.
We fight for our children to have a better life than that.
What you're talking about is some other thing.

I'm not lecturing you, I'm merely telling you that you are wrong. It's not specific to labor unions. So your parents were factory workers. What does that make you? Doesn't sound like you have any skin in the game, which is fine. You don't need to be a truck driver or an HVAC installer to know that those are blue collar jobs. But according to you they aren't because they aren't union jobs. Give me a break.

A blue-collar worker is a working class person who performs manual labor. Blue-collar work may involve skilled or unskilled labor. The type of work may involve manufacturing, warehousing, mining, excavation, electricity generation and power plant operations, custodial work, farming, commercial fishing, logging, landscaping, pest control, food processing, oil field work, waste collection and disposal, recycling, construction, maintenance, shipping, driving, trucking and many other types of physical work. Blue-collar work often involves something being physically built or maintained.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
I'm not lecturing you, I'm merely telling you that you are wrong. It's not specific to labor unions. So your parents were factory workers. What does that make you? Doesn't sound like you have any skin in the game, which is fine. You don't need to be a truck driver or an HVAC installer to know that those are blue collar jobs. But according to you they aren't because they aren't union jobs. Give me a break.

A blue-collar worker is a working class person who performs manual labor. Blue-collar work may involve skilled or unskilled labor. The type of work may involve manufacturing, warehousing, mining, excavation, electricity generation and power plant operations, custodial work, farming, commercial fishing, logging, landscaping, pest control, food processing, oil field work, waste collection and disposal, recycling, construction, maintenance, shipping, driving, trucking and many other types of physical work. Blue-collar work often involves something being physically built or maintained.
lol,
You aspire to do manual labor?
Sorry, I look down on that.

I don't look down on people that do manual labor, but I do look down on people to exalt and glorify it like some kind of hipster.
These are hipster arguments you are making. If you were working class you'd realize we don't really want that life, that's why we aspire for more for ourselves and our children.

Clown world that men with some means want to do manual labor instead of try to get ahead and make a better life for themselves.
Women are out earning us and out careering us, and here we go trying to advocate for manual labor jobs.

My eyes have rolled out onto the ground.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
lol,

I don't look down on people that do manual labor, but I do look down on people to exalt and glorify it like some kind of hipster.
These are hipster arguments you are making. If you were working class you'd realize we don't really want that life, that's why we aspire for more for ourselves and our children.

Clown world that men with some means want to do manual labor instead of try to get ahead and make a better life for themselves.
Women are out earning us and out careering us, and here we go trying to advocate for manual labor jobs.

Hey, idiot. I was merely telling you that you obviously don't know what the definition of blue collar work is. You don't need to be from Detroit or have parents that worked in a factory to know what blue collar means. But apparently you still don't know what the term means even though you claim to know all about that life because you're from DETROIT.

Oh, and I don't care if someone with poor reading comprehension and more than likely soft hands looks down on me.

Rush87

Ostrich
lol,

Tbh, I think most people aspire for more - But the reality is, blue collar or white collar - Most jobs are shit and most aspirations aside from the lucky few, land you doing mundane grunt work.

My girlfriend has a masters in finance working for a prestigious consulting firm and her jobs an absolute joke serving zero purpose other than to enrich the pockets of the few.

On paper it's a solid aspiration but in reality it's just a job, no different to most blue collar workers.

To be fair, my jobs shit as well. I run a business offloading shipping cargo. It's just as awful, but I earn far more than she does.

Realistically I think when we define aspirations, it's only afew jobs that have real purpose and if they arent achieveable, time is a far greater motivator than money, so anything that can support a family with as little hours spent working is a huge win in my eyes.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
Do you consider this guy blue collar? I would.

Petrochemical Non-Destruct Techs make 160k according the NDT salary survey.
This is an engineering job.
So you go to school and get a 4 year degree in petrochemical engineering.
Yeah, he's working outside. Blue collar... I'm not sure.

The long-tail of blue collar is you'll have a small number of people earning > 100k and a lot earning less than the median.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
Tbh, I think most people aspire for more - But the reality is, blue collar or white collar - Most jobs are shit and most aspirations aside from the lucky few, land you doing mundane grunt work.
The terms "blue collar" and "white collar" are kind of outdated.
I don't wear a suit to work. I dunno anyone in tech that does.
Likewise, you have a lot of people working in fields like health care where neither really make sense.

I think in terms of the office jobs you're talking about, there's a big world of things to do. Marketing and finance are pretty boring overall. Sales, some people are really built for that and it energizes them. Accounting is a really stable and secure job you can do anywhere.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
Hey, idiot. I was merely telling you that you obviously don't know what the definition of blue collar work is. You don't need to be from Detroit or have parents that worked in a factory to know what blue collar means. But apparently you still don't know what the term means even though you claim to know all about that life because you're from DETROIT.

Oh, and I don't care if someone with poor reading comprehension and more than likely soft hands looks down on me.
Calm down.

Aboulia

Robin
lol,

Nothing wrong with a bit of manual labour, it keeps the body strong, I don't have to be politically correct, nor work with women. I'm out in the elements, away from any overbearing HR department, and I still make above median household income for both country and province. Sure, I get my hands dirty, but what's not to like? I've always been averse to rules where people cannot explain the "why it's necessary", and it's far superior to jobs in sales, advertising/marketing, or worst of all being a spineless bureaucrat, I don't care what they're paid, they're morally disgusting jobs.

Women are only outcareering/earning men because men largely don't give a shit anymore. It's evidence of a societal problem. There's little incentive of being a provider for a family when everything you've built can be destroyed on emotional impulse. Women can outcareer me all the day long. I couldn't care less.

This is an engineering job.
So you go to school and get a 4 year degree in petrochemical engineering.
Yeah, he's working outside. Blue collar... I'm not sure.

The long-tail of blue collar is you'll have a small number of people earning > 100k and a lot earning less than the median.
This guy is a technician with an associates degree pulling six figures. But he is smart and can pass math.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Calm down.
Hey buddy, you're the one that started with the histrionics by claiming I was lecturing you.

And the guy in the blue hat isn't an engineer, he's an NDT tech. He's doing what is called Ultrasonic Testing. You don't need 4 years of school to do that job.

Why are you pretending to know what the guy in the blue hat is doing if you're in IT?

Work isn't meant to be fun or fulfilling. That's why we call it "work".

The few people who have fulfilling careers should consider themselves lucky, and we should all aspire to attain some sense of that... but to whine about a job not being great (and blame it on the boss, company, corporation, govt, co-workers), well that is what whiny women do (which is why most of them should not work normal jobs).

Cursed is the ground because of you;
through toil you will eat of it
all the days of your life.
Both thorns and thistles it will yield for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your bread,
until you return to the ground—
because out of it were you taken.
For dust you are,
and to dust you shall return.

Back on point, hopefully this Unwoke site isn't a honeypot because I know quite a small business owners who could use something like it.

Elipe

Robin
Work isn't meant to be fun or fulfilling. That's why we call it "work".
I'm pretty sure even farmers find some fulfillment in what they do. What you're talking about is slave labor. And the Genesis 3 curse isn't supposed to mean that you can't find fulfillment or enjoyment in work, it's supposed to mean that work takes effort. It's supposed to mean that farming takes work, and that food isn't popping out of the ground or growing on trees by itself. Even automation isn't undoing the curse, because the curse isn't about how you feel about work, it's more about establishing the conditions that have made automation necessary.

Back on point, hopefully this Unwoke site isn't a honeypot because I know quite a small business owners who could use something like it.
There's a massive untapped labor market for "unwoke" employers (basically, everybody to the right of Mao Zedong). How are they advertising themselves?