News - Current Events and Headlines

It would be nice to have a centralized location for current events and headlines - perhaps serve as a timeline.

Attys Go After Giuliani's Law License Over Campaign Tactics
  • New York State Bar Association leaders and academics hit Rudy Giuliani with an ethics complaint Thursday, joining others in calling on the bar to suspend the former New York City mayor's license and investigate potential professional violations for persistently touting false voter fraud claims while spearheading ex-President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election results.
Trump Taps SC Atty To Lead Impeachment Defense Team
  • South Carolina lawyer Butch Bowers will helm Donald Trump's defense team in the former president's upcoming impeachment trial, a Trump adviser said Thursday, adding that Bowers is "well respected by both Republicans and Democrats."
Coronavirus Litigation: The Week In Review
  • Verizon has escaped a $28 million lawsuit accusing it of spreading COVID-19, a coronavirus tracking application says Apple blocked it from its App Store to limit competition, and Enterprise wants an appeals court to consider whether the pandemic falls under the WARN Act's natural disaster exception.
Amazon Won't Have To Host Parler During Dispute
  • Amazon won't have to reinstate Parler's web hosting account while the microblogging site pursues its lawsuit over a suspension imposed in the wake of the U.S. Capitol riots earlier this month, a Washington federal court ruled Thursday.
State AGs Must Catch Up With DOJ Case Against Google
  • The state attorneys general pursuing a monopoly lawsuit against Google will have to speed up discovery after a Washington, D.C., federal judge said Thursday that a proposal to begin turning over investigative materials to the search giant in mid-March was too late to catch up with a parallel Justice Department case.
Biden Appoints Rosenworcel As Acting FCC Chair
  • Democrat Jessica Rosenworcel as the acting head of the agency on Thursday, elevating the eight-year commissioner who has advocated for getting more students online and restoring net neutrality rules, among other priorities.

Abortion Activists Attack Church, Harass Pro-Life People Mourning Babies Killed in Abortion

Police had to forcibly remove abortion activists from a pro-life mass Friday morning in Columbus where families with young children gathered to pray for unborn babies.

According to the newspaper, the Catholic Diocese of Columbus holds the pro-life mass every year to mark the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that forced states to legalize abortion on demand. Columbus Bishop Robert Brennan and Bishop Edward Malesic of Cleveland led the mass.

[Link]

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 4.31.51 PM.png

Abortion Activists Attack Church, Harass Pro-Life People Mourning Babies Killed in Abortion

Police had to forcibly remove abortion activists from a pro-life mass Friday morning in Columbus where families with young children gathered to pray for unborn babies.

According to the newspaper, the Catholic Diocese of Columbus holds the pro-life mass every year to mark the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that forced states to legalize abortion on demand. Columbus Bishop Robert Brennan and Bishop Edward Malesic of Cleveland led the mass.

[Link]

View attachment 28594
Seriously?? Who DOES that? I legitimately cannot fathom being in the minds of some people.

Leeloo

Robin
Seriously?? Who DOES that? I legitimately cannot fathom being in the minds of some people.

When I see and read stuff like this that is so unbelievable and extreme, I can’t help but wonder if these ‘articles’ are fabricated solely to elicit this exact reaction from us. Like, this CAN’T be real. Maybe it is, but these people can write and say anything they want in order to fuel our outrage and dissent. I feel I can’t trust anything anymore.

Aboulia

Woodpecker

Guilty conscience, the mindset goes like this, If you oppose abortion, then you're opposing my decisions, and what I've done. If everyone agrees abortion is okay, then I can keep my conscience quieter and pretend I've done nothing wrong. Some of these women could have conceived under horrible conditions, such as rape from a stepfather. You never know. Not to justify it in principle, two wrongs don't make a right, just try to understand people.

That, and you can't rule out paid protesters, there is a general trend of global NGOs supporting all manner of abominations.

Edit: People aren't all crazy, maybe you're just not taking the time to try to understand them.

Guilty conscience, the mindset goes like this, If you oppose abortion, then you're opposing my decisions, and what I've done. If everyone agrees abortion is okay, then I can keep my conscience quieter and pretend I've done nothing wrong. Some of these women could have conceived under horrible conditions, such as rape from a stepfather. You never know. Not to justify it in principle, two wrongs don't make a right, just try to understand people.

That, and you can't rule out paid protesters, there is a general trend of global NGOs supporting all manner of abominations.

Edit: People aren't all crazy, maybe you're just not taking the time to try to understand them.
Yeah, I'm not the greatest at understanding people. My theory of mind skills are crap.
Buuuut in my defense, it's hard to understand extremes. Well.... I can understand MY extremes, because they're correct. *wink and lighthearted chuckle*

Brandon Straka arrested. My comment—they’re making an example of him.

There will be more individuals most likely in the same situation as Brandon. I reread Bill Cooper's book that specifically talks about targeting nationalism/patriotism as a mental disorder. In these times mental disorder is domestic terrorism. These are some scary times.

Here are a few things that came through as news on feed:

Dominion Sues Giuliani For $1.3B Over False Election Claims
The case is U.S. Dominion Inc. et al. v. Rudolph Giuliani, case number 1:21-cv-00213, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

"As a result of the defamatory falsehoods peddled by Giuliani" and several other Trump allies, "Dominion's founder and employees have been harassed and have received death threats, and Dominion has suffered unprecedented and irreparable harm," the company says. "Dominion brings this action to set the record straight, to vindicate the company's rights under civil law, to recover compensatory and punitive damages, and to stand up for itself, its employees, and the electoral process."

Nicholas Sandmann terminates Wood from Defamation suit
A man suing the New York Times, ABC and other news outlets over their coverage of a 2019 incident in Washington, D.C., stemming from a viral video of his face-off with a Native American elder, has fired controversial pro-Trump attorney L. Lin Wood, according to Kentucky federal court filings Monday.

Nicholas Sandmann, who was among students from Kentucky's Covington Catholic High School filmed in an altercation with a Native American activist at the Lincoln Memorial following an anti-abortion rally, gave no explanation for his termination of Wood from the defamation suit.

FCC - Cell phones and human health
A D.C. Circuit panel on Monday appeared skeptical of the Federal Communications Commission's support for its own findings that cellphones and other connected devices pose no risks to human health. Counsel for both the FCC and the health groups challenging the wireless safety rules admitted they don't know if an obscure, statutorily mandated FDA committee on technical standards exists. As to the second committee at issue, an interagency working group through which the FCC and FDA are supposed to collaborate on radio frequency issues, Judge Wilkins expressed dissatisfaction with underlying documents substantiating the committee's existence and activities.

Facebook lawsuit - defamation and negligence
A central Alabama man and his family have sued Facebook, county officials, a minor who allegedly accused him of rape and others, alleging civil rights violations and claims including defamation and negligence.

Facebook failed at its duty to "verify" such comments and "censors information inconsistently on their website against their own policies and community standards," according to the complaint.

The case is McWaters et al. v. Houston et al., case number 2:21-cv-00057, in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama.

Twitter misuse of phone numbers
A Twitter user urged a Washington federal judge not to let the social media platform slip out of a proposed class action accusing it of fraudulently obtaining users' phone numbers, saying a state law forbids the manner in which Twitter used the data.

Starlight

Robin
There will be more individuals most likely in the same situation as Brandon. I reread Bill Cooper's book that specifically talks about targeting nationalism/patriotism as a mental disorder. In these times mental disorder is domestic terrorism. These are some scary times.
In clown world:
Patriotism = mental disorder/domestic terrorism
Transsexuality = totally normal and natural

“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil”

Cabraxas

Chicken
'Natural News' is noble in its desire to run conservative candidates against Biden - but that fight's doomed to failure so long as Democrats count the ballots. Only if we, the people, count them will truth, justice and the American way be restored. Much as I deeply admire the courage and integrity of 'Natural News', the sad truth is that - if we can't count, we can't win.

Cabraxas

Chicken
How toxic is the NFL? Coke, Audi, and Avocados from Mexico have refused to buy ANY Super Bowl ads this year, while Pepsi and Budweiser have reduced their ads by more than half. Yep, that's toxic.

Man, it seems another universe when I enjoyed watching Super Bowl commercials. (That '1984' Apple ad still sends chills up my spine.) But that was when I enjoyed football. Man, I planned my whole LIFE around Niner's games; once nearly broke an ankle racing down the street to get Jerry Rice's autograph, etc. But now? Now I wouldn't attend a Niner's game if you paid me. I especially will NOT buy anything the Niner's endorse. A fact which Coke, Audi and Avocados from Mexico are obviously aware of; ditto for Pepsi and Budweiser.

For a split second, hearing the ad boycott for Super Bowl, I thought 'maybe this will wake the NFL up!' But that thought crashed at once. Come on, if you're dealing with people who adore Colin Kaepernick, you're dealing with people who couldn't find their own rears in a hall of mirrors at high noon with both hands and a flashlight. The NFL won't realize it's toxic until it files for bankruptcy (and even then I won't hold my breath).

Last edited:

dragonfire00

Sparrow
How toxic is the NFL? Coke, Audi, and Avocados from Mexico have refused to buy ANY Super Bowl ads this year, while Pepsi and Budweiser have reduced their ads by more than half. Yep, that's toxic.

Man, it seems another universe when I enjoyed watching Super Bowl commercials. (That '1984' Apple ad still sends chills up my spine.) But that was when I enjoyed football. Man, I planned my whole LIFE around Niner's games; once nearly broke an ankle racing down the street to get Jerry Rice's autograph, etc. But now? Now I wouldn't attend a Niner's game if you paid me. I especially will NOT buy anything the Niner's endorse. A fact which Coke, Audi and Avocados from Mexico are obviously aware of; ditto for Pepsi and Budweiser.

For a split second, hearing the ad boycott for Super Bowl, I thought 'maybe this will wake the NFL up!' But that thought crashed at once. Come on, if you're dealing with people who adore Colin Kaepernick, you're dealing with people who couldn't find their own rears in a hall of mirrors at high noon with both hands and a flashlight. The NFL won't realize it's toxic until it files for bankruptcy (and even then I won't hold my breath).

Do you think "less ad revenue"/ "covid being more important" is what they're saying after they saw how no one watched the NBA finals due to it being a giant BLM virtue signal? Of course the higher ups don't want to be replaced so they're making other reasons....lol.

Lamkins

Robin
I wasn't totally sure whether this belonged here or in the "healthcare in clown world" thread...

:laughter::poo::vomit:

I. literally. just. can't. even.

I’m trying to think of a ladylike way of saying how fitting this is.....

Exclusive: Proud Boys leader was ‘prolific’ informer for law enforcement

U.S. LEGAL NEWS
JANUARY 27, 2021 6:47 PM

Washington police arrested Tarrio in early January when he arrived in the city two days before the Capitol Hill riot. He was charged with possessing two high-capacity rifle magazines, and burning a Black Lives Matter banner during a December demonstration by supporters of former President Donald Trump. The D.C. Superior Court ordered him to leave the city pending a court date in June.

There is no evidence Tarrio has cooperated with authorities since then. In interviews with Reuters, however, he said that before rallies in various cities, he would let police departments know of the Proud Boys’ plans. It is unclear if this was actually the case. He said he stopped this coordination after December 12 because the D.C. police had cracked down on the group.

Social Media Influencer Charged with Election Interference Stemming from Voter Disinformation Campaign

Defendant Unlawfully Used Social Media to Deprive Individuals of Their Right to Vote
Department of Justice Link

Last edited:
I've been quite entertained watching the stock market fiasco lately!

I actually asked my husband's permission just today to buy a few ounces of silver - not as a financial investment but because I've wanted to try my hand at small scale metal-smithing and jewelry-making for a long time, and sterling silver is my favorite metal to wear, and now people are eyeing it as the next "thing" and I'm afraid it could end up entirely unaffordable by the time I get around to getting the necessary tools and equipment.

I was running a small bakery when the price of vanilla QUADRUPLED almost over night a few years ago; that was a small gut-punch.

But I'll be perversely giddy and gleeful if the entire stock market/economy crashes and falls apart and the folks who are gluttonously wealthy on imaginary money kill themelves.

... did I type that last bit out loud?

Lamkins

Robin
I've been quite entertained watching the stock market fiasco lately!

I actually asked my husband's permission just today to buy a few ounces of silver - not as a financial investment but because I've wanted to try my hand at small scale metal-smithing and jewelry-making for a long time, and sterling silver is my favorite metal to wear, and now people are eyeing it as the next "thing" and I'm afraid it could end up entirely unaffordable by the time I get around to getting the necessary tools and equipment.

I was running a small bakery when the price of vanilla QUADRUPLED almost over night a few years ago; that was a small gut-punch.

But I'll be perversely giddy and gleeful if the entire stock market/economy crashes and falls apart and the folks who are gluttonously wealthy on imaginary money kill themelves.

... did I type that last bit out loud?

Did I grin a little crazily? Oops!!! I’ve always wanted to learn jewelry making. Please share your experiences if you do this.

Remember when Martha Stewart went to prison? Her brand stock dropped to $2, and I came this close to buying $1000 worth. I know nothing about stocks, but I knew she’d rise again. When I last checked (years ago) her stock was around $42. I could kick myself. That would’ve put a nice little pile of money in our savings. Oh well.