News - Current Events and Headlines

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
A Covid-19 Vaccine Without a Needle? These Firms Are On the Case [WSJ article]
Possibility of annual shots, future pandemics spark hunt for a better solution

• Executives such as David Hipkiss sense an opportunity. His firm, Enesi Pharma Ltd. of Oxfordshire, England, is developing a device that painlessly implants a vaccine-imbued tube of sugars smaller than a grain of rice under the skin.
  • Developers of alternative ways to deliver vaccines use a variety of devices that exploit the body's immune defenses.
  • Nanopatch- When the patch is applied, microscopic needles infused or coated with vaccine penetrate the skin, causing damaged skin cells to signal the immune system to respond.
  • Nasal spray - Nasal delivery mimics the way the virus typically enters the body and binds to cells. The vaccine uses a harmless viral shell to train the immune system to recognize the invader.
  • Implant - Another technology uses tiny implants pushed painlessly into the skin that release vaccine as they dissolve.
  • Sublingual tablet - Reformulating vaccines so they dissolve slowly under the tongue allows for self-administration and could be a promising alternative to the needle for children.
  • Microneedle patch
  • u.jpg

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Nasal sprays are already used with cats. I can’t remember which it is, but the vet has delivered something to my cats via nasal spray on several occasions over years.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Sexual activity use to be a private manner between two consenting adults, and not to be aired around in public.
But pride made sexual orientation everyone's business - even if individuals do not want to hear about private manners, or debauchery.

Preference of sexual partners becoming a civil right?
How far is society going to go?

Christians are already losing freedoms, all while extreme secular progressive goals thrive in society.
Ugh, yes this is so disturbing to me too. Especially so because it can expose kids to mature topics they aren’t ready to process yet.
Seems no topic is off limits anymore because we “shouldn’t be ashamed of our bodies!”

Like no, you can be content with yourself and still use discretion to keep certain private things private. Sexual activity, periods, mental health, masturbation, “kinks,” these people just looove to talk about this stuff in public to show how liberated they are, or whatever.

I’m so glad I was raised to understand certain things are just private. Same goes for the old school rule that you don’t speak of money or politics in polite company. Now it’s anything goes.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I find it incredibly annoying when people question some public person’s sexuality then others jump in asking why it’s relevant. Um, all we’ve heard for years are big announcements of their preferences. Now privacy is the cool thing? I have such a difficult time having Christian compassion for people these days. The world is chock full of idiots. Maybe it’s always been, but they’re busting out of all the closets now.

honey flame

Pigeon
Woman
Hope this isn't slightly off topic but this will definitely pique your interest! I recently watched a video of a popular news Anchor from Arizona who quit her job because she no longer felt proud of being a journalist and lying to the public. Here is the link below.

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
I find it incredibly annoying when people question some public person’s sexuality then others jump in asking why it’s relevant. Um, all we’ve heard for years are big announcements of their preferences. Now privacy is the cool thing? I have such a difficult time having Christian compassion for people these days. The world is chock full of idiots. Maybe it’s always been, but they’re busting out of all the closets now.

I find it incredibly annoying when society accepts that a Homo sapiens male can surgically remove his penis, and then be referred to as a woman. No amount of dilation will result in a vagina. Only females have vaginas.

stugatz

Pelican
It's a real tweet from Burger King, too. They're trying to encourage women to go into the culinary field.

Do you know why ladies don't like working in kitchens? Because you usually work next to a bunch of very rough and vaguely threatening men. At least a third of them at the last place I worked had a criminal history and weren't subtle when hitting on waitresses - multiply this by at least two if it was someone fresh off the boat from the Philippines or Mexico. Not to mention that it's a dangerous environment where you could get your hand burned permanently if it gets too close to a broiler or a deep fryer. (Personal anecdote - I mandolined the tip of my finger on the second day at my first kitchen job. Nothing permanent, but it was a hell of a wakeup call.)

To succeed in a kitchen as a woman, you need to more or less be "one of the guys", or you need to be a uniquely resilient enough person to work in a combat-like environment like this. Oh, and when you screw up badly, you usually end up getting screamed at by an angry sous chef. Gordon Ramsay really isn't much of a caricature.

How exactly can they soften a profession like this?

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Do you know why ladies don't like working in kitchens? Because you usually work next to a bunch of very rough and vaguely threatening men. At least a third of them at the last place I worked had a criminal history and weren't subtle when hitting on waitresses - multiply this by at least two if it was someone fresh off the boat from the Philippines or Mexico. Not to mention that it's a dangerous environment where you could get your hand burned permanently if it gets too close to a broiler or a deep fryer.

Most of my "conventional employment" has been in commercial kitchens (a few year's worth all-told), and I always say feminists hate the kitchen 'cause they can't take the heat. :blush:

I've actually found that my own experience defies the stereotype. Those "very rough and vaguely threatening men" are often some of the most respectful people - to me, anyway. Maybe it has something to do with 1) actually being highly skilled/competent, 2) not dressing like the average off-duty stripper hoping to earn tips and curry favor with cleavage, 3) not denigrating them for being male and then asking for their help with hard work and heavy lifting in the very next breath.

I'll admit I used to subtly antagonize the feminists at the last place I worked. Our chef at the time would antagonize them openly any time they didn't live up to their "girl power" ideology. One time one of the girls asked him for help (because he was the only dude around) just to get an EMPTY half-keg onto the hand-cart when we needed to tap a new one. So he did it for her, and then told her "wow, good job setting women back." Then I came around the corner, in a dress and heels, toting the replacement (full) half-keg up on my shoulder.

THE LOOK ON HER FACE.

Editing to add, tho: I could not have stayed in that line of work long-term. Even WITHOUT over-exerting myself occasionally to get a rise out of the feminists, and even WITH the "threatening" men in kitchens being really nice to me and willing to help out, it is ROUGH WORK. Not many women are physically suited to doing that kind of work on a commercial scale, not long-term, not more than part-time. Wear-and-tear is accelerated for me because I've got connective tissue problems, but even "normal" women are mostly just too small to be able to function optimally in a kitchen designed for big muscular people (last place I worked they designed the cafe area where the baristas worked to the same scale as the kitchen and all of the girls complained until they literally installed something to raise the floor in some places). The women I know who are actually suited to kitchen work are the ones with more masculine frames: tall, broader chest than hips/higher center of gravity, more muscle in upper body than lower, etc.

Last edited:

stugatz

Pelican
I've actually found that my own experience defies the stereotype. Those "very rough and vaguely threatening men" are often some of the most respectful people - to me, anyway. Maybe it has something to do with 1) actually being highly skilled/competent, 2) not dressing like the average off-duty stripper hoping to earn tips and curry favor with cleavage, 3) not denigrating them for being male and then asking for their help with hard work and heavy lifting in the very next breath.
I got along great with them myself, actually got asked one time where I'd been in prison (so I guess I fit in maybe too well). I couldn't be close friends with too many of them, though, drug abuse in the service industry is a very sad reality - and there's no way I'd touch them.

Politically correct as the establishment leaned, I noticed HR would usually try very hard to soft-pedal any complaints coming between the kitchen and waitstaff - when you can barely find competent line cooks and have a new host every two weeks, they just wait until one of the parties gets fired for other reasons. (Usually, front-of-house was the revolving door.)

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
European Banking Authority Hit By Microsoft Server Breach
The European Banking Authority has announced that it is among the many businesses and organizations across the globe believed to have been hit by a cyberattack on Microsoft email servers, in hacks that the software giant said were likely sponsored by the Chinese government.

Lockheed To Pay $71M To Address F-35 Spare Part Issues
House Oversight Committee leaders said Monday that the Pentagon had reached a $70.6 million deal with Lockheed Martin over deficient F-35 fighter jet spare parts, urging the company to take more responsibility for meeting the F-35 program's contractual obligations.

Proposal Would Let Foreign Gov'ts Be Sued For Cyberattacks
Private U.S. citizens and entities would be able to sue foreign governments in state and federal court for money damages over cyberattacks under a bill introduced Monday by Rep. Colin Allred, D-Texas.

McKinsey Seeks New MDL As Opioid Headaches Worsen
An emerging wave of lawsuits accusing McKinsey & Co. of contributing to the opioid crisis should be centralized but also kept separate from existing multidistrict opioid litigation, the beleaguered consulting firm said in new court filings.

Attys Seek To Delay $2B Roundup Deal Hearing
Counsel for the proposed class of future Roundup claimants and Bayer AG's Monsanto on Sunday asked a California federal judge to push back a hearing on a $2 billion settlement offer to May so they have more time to address recent objections to the deal.

AdventHealth Reaches Deal On COVID-19 PPE Fraud Claims
Adventist Health System has settled its suit accusing a California-based asset management company of conspiring with its outside counsel to defraud the hospital system of $2 million through a failed $57.5 million deal for personal protective equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ariz. High Court Allows Costco Privacy Suit To Proceed
The Arizona Supreme Court on Monday said Costco must face a man's lawsuit alleging the big-box store didn't cancel an unwanted erectile dysfunction prescription and then violated his privacy by sharing the information with his ex-wife.

McAfee Sells $4B Unit In Deal Driven By Ropes, Paul Hastings
Cybersecurity software creator McAfee Corp., represented by Ropes & Gray, has agreed to sell its enterprise division to a group led by Paul Hastings-advised private equity firm Symphony Technology Group for $4 billion, the companies said Monday.

For 'Essential' Cannabis Businesses, Pandemic Year A Boom
The pandemic marked a turning point for the cannabis industry, which was facing its first real downturn when state officials chose it as one of the businesses that could stay open amid the closure orders designed to curb COVID-19.

Moderna Taps Ex-Novartis CLO As Top Lawyer​

By Clarice Silber

Law360 (March 8, 2021, 4:37 PM EST) --

Massachusetts-based biotechnology company Moderna Inc. announced on Monday that it has brought on Novartis Pharmaceutical Corp.'s Chief Legal Officer Shannon Thyme Klinger to serve as its own new top attorney starting in June.

Moderna, which is among the pharmaceutical companies that obtained emergency approval for a COVID-19 vaccine, said that Klinger will serve as its new chief legal officer and corporate secretary, adding that Klinger will report to Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration signed off on Moderna's mRNA-1273 vaccine candidate in December, which like Pfizer Inc.'s vaccine, uses a synthetic version of messenger RNA — the genetic material cells read to build proteins. That genetic material is programmed to create proteins that mimic SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The body responds to those proteins by creating antibodies, which can then fight off SARS-CoV-2 if the vaccinated individual is exposed.

Klinger said in a statement that it is an honor to join Moderna at a remarkable moment in the transformation of the company, and that she looks forward to helping it support efforts to bring mRNA medicines to patients.

"Moderna's mission and values are consistent with those on which I have sought to build my career, including a relentless focus on turning innovation into impact, every day," Klinger said.

Klinger will replace Moderna's current general counsel and Corporate Secretary Lori Henderson, who announced late last year that she will retire from her post in 2021.

Bancel said in a statement that Klinger's combination of skills across corporate, life sciences, pharmaceutical technology, and commercial and multinational sectors will help Moderna advance its core technology platform and expand its growing international presence.

"Shannon's deep global experience in the pharmaceutical industry in both the general counsel and ethics and compliance roles are critical to Moderna as we pivot to a broad international and commercial footprint," Bancel said.

Klinger previously served as Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis' chief legal officer and on its executive committee since 2018. During her 10-year tenure with the company, Klinger worked in several legal positions, including as its chief ethics, risk & compliance officer, global head of litigation and general counsel, as well as the global head of legal at Sandoz, a Novartis division.

Klinger received her law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

A spokesperson for Moderna did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday.

DanielaEverheart

Pigeon
Woman
Thank you for the headlines, messaggera. I work in Law as an attorney and I feel a small shudder in my body whenever I see "top lawyer". While I appreciate integrity, it just means compliance to the current order of things...

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I find it incredibly annoying when society accepts that a Homo sapiens male can surgically remove his penis, and then be referred to as a woman. No amount of dilation will result in a vagina. Only females have vaginas.

I can’t tell if I annoyed you. :) I was referring to the woke nazis, not anyone here. They wanted proud public announcements and shamed anyone who just wanted to privately mutilate themselves but now speculating about those giant manly feet, calves, and hands is the thing to be shamed.

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
I can’t tell if I annoyed you. :) I was referring to the woke nazis, not anyone here. They wanted proud public announcements and shamed anyone who just wanted to privately mutilate themselves but now speculating about those giant manly feet, calves, and hands is the thing to be shamed.

Lamkins you could never annoy me. We have similar views on life- in reference from the content that has been posted.
Actually appreciate you bringing up the these types of topics.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Lamkins you could never annoy me. We have similar views on life in reference from the content that has been posted.

I’m so glad! I was kind of horrified that I may have accidentally insulted the whole forum, lol.

And, yes, that’s incredibly annoying too! I am busy transitioning to a gazillionaire, and today I plan on acting like one. Nobody better question my finances at the Infiniti dealership and the real estate office.