Non Orthodox Christians

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Today I read the article by Seraphim Rose about non Orthodox Christians, I can really relate to what Seraphim Rose says about people being born again while still in the protestant church and how he sees it as a valid experience and transformation, I was one of these people who in the late 2000's I had this born again experience and my life was changed forever, this was a real experience, however I didnt even know what protestant was when that happened nor had I ever heard about the Orthodox church only last year did I first hear about it and immidiatley when I heard about it I started learning about it and researching it for months, I still have a great deal to learn Iv just scratched the surface. So Im a person who likes God, Christianity and the scriptures, I was serious about God and what drew me to the Orthodox church was all the history, the traditions, how old they were and all these new people, books and writings on a whole bunch of new topics of Christianity I had never heard much about before, how traditional the church is, I love that it feels like I have gone back 1000 years in time when I go to church, no technology, peace and quite, the liturgy, Iv never heard the priest or anyone talk about money or the offering etc, amazing. Here is the great article.

rodion

Sparrow
Orthodox
It’s a very good article, I struggled a lot with excess zeal and wanting to tell everyone that Orthodoxy is the truth. Sometimes that approach can further damage the chances of someone joining the Church.

We live in a relativist society, where nobody wants to be told that they’re wrong and everything must be accommodated. For example, I have two good friends who are Catholic and their view is “two lungs of the same church” and they believe salvation can be found in the Orthodox Church as well etc etc. So when I give the Orthodox position it’s like, “why are you being a d**k?”

So you have to try and be gentle, and not invalidate their experiences etc, as it’s easy to do damage and as Fr. Seraphim says people really do change profoundly when they find Christ even they’ve ever heard of orthodoxy.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
It’s a very good article, I struggled a lot with excess zeal and wanting to tell everyone that Orthodoxy is the truth. Sometimes that approach can further damage the chances of someone joining the Church.

We live in a relativist society, where nobody wants to be told that they’re wrong and everything must be accommodated. For example, I have two good friends who are Catholic and their view is “two lungs of the same church” and they believe salvation can be found in the Orthodox Church as well etc etc. So when I give the Orthodox position it’s like, “why are you being a d**k?”

So you have to try and be gentle, and not invalidate their experiences etc, as it’s easy to do damage and as Fr. Seraphim says people really do change profoundly when they find Christ even they’ve ever heard of orthodoxy.
Very true, which do you find arr easier to join the Orthodox church the Catholics or Protestants?

GodGiveMeStrength

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I also deeply relate to this. Roughly ten years ago I had what I used to refer to as my "salvation" experience, or that after that point I was "saved." I said a prayer that was nothing special but was my way of confessing Christ as Lord and my willingness to follow him. It came to my mind almost out of nowhere and I said it aloud and at that very moment I thought I would lift off the ground where I was standing! But I now know, like Father Seraphim stated, that was only the beginning. I had that "new Christian" zeal that is commonly spoken of and because of it fell the gap between me and all my friends widened to the point where we no longer has anything in common and eventually fell out of touch.

I had this feeling of "what's next?" and began searching but every path lead to disappointment. A church I attended sent me to a weekend program to begin learning about being a pastor but I was horrified when a good portion was spent talking about how to compose your Sunday message (start off with a funny anecdote!) and the entire approach felt more like running a business instead of helping people with their salvation. Or I was told that I needed to join a small group or just make sure I was reading my Bible. It all felt so... lacking?

I was at the library one day and went to the Religious section. There were various books from every religion with topics that sounded rather detailed so I was excited to see what the Christian section contained. Needless to say my "disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined" when the only books I found were by TD Jakes, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Andy Stanley, etc all staring at me with huge fake smiles and dead eyes on the cover. I thought to myself, "people have DIED for this religion and this is what we have to offer?"

Like anyone who's wanting to learn about something I went home and pulled up YouTube. I searched for the "history of Christianity" and saw videos talking about Catholicism vs Orthodoxy, which intrigued me because I was somewhat familiar with Catholicism but what's this Orthodox stuff? I started watching some videos and was shocked. How had I never heard of this?? This is the religion the freakin APOSTLES handed down?!

Anyway I appreciate Father Seraphim's openness, for lack of a better word, to those who are outside of Orthodoxy, as it perfectly describes my journey. I do believe it is the narrow path and like Deuteronomy 4:29 says, "... you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul." (Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this verse, protestant habits die hard :squintlol:)

rodion

Sparrow
Orthodox
Very true, which do you find arr easier to join the Orthodox church the Catholics or Protestants?

Catholics generally, we have a handful inquiring at my parish every month basically and a large number of ex-catholics there already. They already have a grasp of tradition and they only have to overcome the cope.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I also deeply relate to this. Roughly ten years ago I had what I used to refer to as my "salvation" experience, or that after that point I was "saved." I said a prayer that was nothing special but was my way of confessing Christ as Lord and my willingness to follow him. It came to my mind almost out of nowhere and I said it aloud and at that very moment I thought I would lift off the ground where I was standing! But I now know, like Father Seraphim stated, that was only the beginning. I had that "new Christian" zeal that is commonly spoken of and because of it fell the gap between me and all my friends widened to the point where we no longer has anything in common and eventually fell out of touch.

I had this feeling of "what's next?" and began searching but every path lead to disappointment. A church I attended sent me to a weekend program to begin learning about being a pastor but I was horrified when a good portion was spent talking about how to compose your Sunday message (start off with a funny anecdote!) and the entire approach felt more like running a business instead of helping people with their salvation. Or I was told that I needed to join a small group or just make sure I was reading my Bible. It all felt so... lacking?

I was at the library one day and went to the Religious section. There were various books from every religion with topics that sounded rather detailed so I was excited to see what the Christian section contained. Needless to say my "disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined" when the only books I found were by TD Jakes, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Andy Stanley, etc all staring at me with huge fake smiles and dead eyes on the cover. I thought to myself, "people have DIED for this religion and this is what we have to offer?"

Like anyone who's wanting to learn about something I went home and pulled up YouTube. I searched for the "history of Christianity" and saw videos talking about Catholicism vs Orthodoxy, which intrigued me because I was somewhat familiar with Catholicism but what's this Orthodox stuff? I started watching some videos and was shocked. How had I never heard of this?? This is the religion the freakin APOSTLES handed down?!

Anyway I appreciate Father Seraphim's openness, for lack of a better word, to those who are outside of Orthodoxy, as it perfectly describes my journey. I do believe it is the narrow path and like Deuteronomy 4:29 says, "... you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul." (Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this verse, protestant habits die hard :squintlol:)
Same with me I also fell away from all my old friends the connection was broken after Christ and I even threw away all my CDs and even the church I was currently attending I lost all interest and it was no longer for me, that why I had the title "other Christian" because I didnt fit in with them but didnt know where to be, thank God I finally was exposed to Orthodoxy years later, the books are also on another level I mean Im like 60% into The city of God Saint Augustine, this book should be read by every Christian and I never heard of it until last year, and the liturgy I also never heard about, it seems like every Christian group even Martin Luther had the liturgy yet where is it in the modern day protestant churches? For 1500 years Christianity has been practicing it. Anyway nice story you have, I see you an orthodox enquirer, so have you attended a church service?

GodGiveMeStrength

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I have heard numerous times that City of God is a must-read book so it looks like it will be the next one to be added to my "to read" pile. Currently alternating between Religion of the Apostles, The Law of God, and Rock and Sand.

And yes I've been attending (and am officially a Catechumen) an Orthodox church since roughly November of last year I believe? However we recently had our third child so my attendance these past few months has not been as regular unfortunately. My path may be slower than some but Lord willing I will be baptized within the next year. I'm currently learning what I can when I can.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I have heard numerous times that City of God is a must-read book so it looks like it will be the next one to be added to my "to read" pile. Currently alternating between Religion of the Apostles, The Law of God, and Rock and Sand.

And yes I've been attending (and am officially a Catechumen) an Orthodox church since roughly November of last year I believe? However we recently had our third child so my attendance these past few months has not been as regular unfortunately. My path may be slower than some but Lord willing I will be baptized within the next year. I'm currently learning what I can when I can.
Im in the same boat I also have 3 small kids and cant go to church EVERY sunday as I would like too, yet. The mistake I made with City of God is get it on a Kindle, you MUST get a hard copy and keep that book on the shelf to pass onto your children, I will have to get a hard copy some day just for that reason, Im still gonna read the religion of the apostles, currently reading Against heresies St Irenaus and have some other books inline, it all depends on what situation we are in which books are more urgent for us to read, anyway I wish you the best with your walk with God!

BellatorChristi

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
Im in the same boat I also have 3 small kids and cant go to church EVERY sunday as I would like too, yet. The mistake I made with City of God is get it on a Kindle, you MUST get a hard copy and keep that book on the shelf to pass onto your children, I will have to get a hard copy some day just for that reason, Im still gonna read the religion of the apostles, currently reading Against heresies St Irenaus and have some other books inline, it all depends on what situation we are in which books are more urgent for us to read, anyway I wish you the best with your walk with God!
Wow I want to read that book too City of God must be amazing. Jay Dyer recommended in his podcast for us who struggle with the Virgin Mary veneration: "Mary the Mother of God – St. Gregory Palamas"

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Wow I want to read that book too City of God must be amazing. Jay Dyer recommended in his podcast for us who struggle with the Virgin Mary veneration: "Mary the Mother of God – St. Gregory Palamas"
I havent reached that part yet, its a huge book almost 1200 pages will probably only finish it near the end of the year