Normies and coronavirus

Are people actually that scared? I generally wear a mask to go outside so as not to get in legal trouble, but I'd probably take it off if I had trouble breathing. It's healthy to have lower oxygen levels anyways, it's why athletes do altitude training. And if they knew how asthma works they'd know that lower oxygen/higher CO2 is quite beneficial when an attack comes on as the hyperventilation would make them lose too much CO2.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Athletes do altitude training in order to maximize their oxygen absorption rate, not because oxygen deprivation is good for you.

It's really not.

Easy_C

Crow
Something that I have found people won’t argue with is Knutt Witciowskis’(sp?) videos.

Not a lot of them are willing to go against credentials of “head of epidemiology at a prestigious university”.

Mephianse

Most people are slackers, lazy underachievers who never have received a word or praise since they were kids. So when the government and medical institutions give them the chance to be "heroes" by doing the easiest of things (stay at home and do nothing) they take that chance and cherish it. For the first time they feel important contributors to the society and that is a powerful drug. They have become minions of the establishment and they will fight all those who oppose it.

bucky

Pelican
Something that I have found people won’t argue with is Knutt Witciowskis’(sp?) videos.

Not a lot of them are willing to go against credentials of “head of epidemiology at a prestigious university”.
I had a doctor's appointment the other day, and the doctor completely agreed with me that the vulnerable part of the population should have been quarantined, whereas everyone else should have been allowed to go about their business so that antibodies get built up in the population. I was telling people that before, but now that a doctor backed me up, most people accept it.

Easy_C

Crow
Also notice how Youtube is MUCH quicker to clip anti lockdown content coming from people with credentials.

Never underestimate the power of credentials in the minds of normies. I realized that first hand after I got into a semi-prestigious business school after the Army and a no-name undergrad. I went from “can’t get the time of day” to walking right into interviews for roles like executive development programs at fortune 100 companies

I heard a friend's wife remark a few weeks ago about those "idiots in Richmond marching in protest" and how one of them had a confederate flag, etc. I didn't see the news story she was referring to, and while it could have been a real shot of some guy with a confederate flag, I'm quite certain it wasn't a klan rally. But the idea is to keep normies like her on the reservation - "you don't want to look like THEM, do you?!" etc. So for the busy mom who never watches news outside of the pediatrician waiting room, it's easy to see how easily they can be swayed by drive by journalism.

I don't think that wearing mask in public makes you an instant dupe, however. If that's the case there's been plenty of them in Asia for decades.
Not to mention the surgeons, dentists, hygienists, and so forth who wear masks while working. And the masks we wear for spray painting and other tasks. Most of us don’t “like” wearing masks, but we have long accepted their legitimate uses. Preventing the spread of disease, even if we ourselves are too young and strong to get sick, just might be a legitimate practice right now. Inflating this into a political issue seems like misplaced energy—and in the eyes of normies it may undermine whatever credibility we have. Shouldn’t we play along with the rules, especially if that’s the price for getting back to work? Wouldn’t it be better to build our reps as team players for a while longer so it will really mean something when we take a stand?

1315 people died today....due to tobacco. Thats the daily average in the US day after day, year after year according to CDC. 480,000 from tobacco alone.

Roughly 2.2 million die from combined causes. Now that per 100k population number can fluctuate as much as 10% on a year over year basis.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_st...h_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/index.htm

If saving lives were the real issue then why dont we shut down the economy and force ably effect behavioral changes on our society that will reduce the number of totally preventable deaths? Smoking is just one.
Except that the effects of smoking aren’t contagious. If I smoke today and then I cough next to you in line at the supermarket next week, my smoking doesn’t damage your lungs. But if I’m exposed to tuberculosis today...see where this is going?

The daily infection rate reports are taken out of the context of real world events and held up to perpetuate the fear

+

The daily death rate reports are taken out of the context of real world events and held up to perpetuate the fear (see my post above re CDC)

+

The masks when you go outside are mandated in order to mutually reinforce the fear. Why else would they be encouraged.

Very early on it was accurately reported that the N-95 rated masks were the minimum required in order to have any efficacy whatsoever. Fauci himself said it was "silly at best" during his 60 minutes interview in March. (Its hard to find anymore...imagine that)

Why?You could put roughly 100000 bacteria side by side hold little bacteria hands and they could march through a single opening between fibers in typical cloth mask you see your average chucklehead wearing

Its gets worse. Why? Because a shed virus is a approximately 1000 times smaller than a typical bacteria.

More real world "infection prevention" could be accomplished by imposing a stiff fine for not covering you mouth and nose while sneezing or coughing

So the people you see wearing bandanas and anything else other than N 95 rated cloth masks over their face in public are complete morons behaving like the obedient, docile, scared "tools" serving the purpose of reinforcing the same fear in all the other trained whipped little poodles.
But the bandanas look cool. (Can’t wait to wear one to the bank!)

donvance

Not to mention the surgeons, dentists, hygienists, and so forth who wear masks while working. And the masks we wear for spray painting and other tasks. Most of us don’t “like” wearing masks, but we have long accepted their legitimate uses. Preventing the spread of disease, even if we ourselves are too young and strong to get sick, just might be a legitimate practice right now. Inflating this into a political issue seems like misplaced energy—and in the eyes of normies it may undermine whatever credibility we have. Shouldn’t we play along with the rules, especially if that’s the price for getting back to work? Wouldn’t it be better to build our reps as team players for a while longer so it will really mean something when we take a stand?
Thanks for the positive post. I think we need to grow as a society.

I have begun to like saris, they are colorful and have a lot of mystery underneath. The ladies are attractive in their colorful saris. The point of my comment is that the mask reminds me a lot of the saris with the veil pulled across their faces.

As a utility, I would like to see transparent masks. I miss seeing the smiles and the frowns. It is all part of being human.

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of credentials in the minds of normies. I realized that first hand after I got into a semi-prestigious business school after the Army and a no-name undergrad. I went from “can’t get the time of day” to walking right into interviews for roles like executive development programs at fortune 100 companies
Any speculations to why this is?

Graft

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Most people are slackers, lazy underachievers who never have received a word or praise since they were kids. So when the government and medical institutions give them the chance to be "heroes" by doing the easiest of things (stay at home and do nothing) they take that chance and cherish it. For the first time they feel important contributors to the society and that is a powerful drug. They have become minions of the establishment and they will fight all those who oppose it.
Great first post and probably the realest analysis I've heard so far on the situation.

It's really just an opportunity for plebes (mostly women) to "save the world" by sitting on their ass, watching Netflix, and posting TikToks.

bucky

Pelican
I forgot to add in my previous post that the doctor I talked to also agreed that while what we're doing now is bad in the sense of delaying the inevitable building up of resistance to the virus in the general population, it's also bad in the sense that it's not worth destroying the economy. Since after the first week or so when I figured out that the virus is not a modern black death that will kill millions and most people are at little risk from it, I've always maintained that the economic damage from all this is going to be far worse than any problems the virus itself causes.

Part of the problem is that most people just don't understand how many millions are in a billion and how many billions are in a trillion. Large numbers like that are key to grasping the situation, in the sense of understanding how many deaths are happening in relation to total population and how much fiat money governments, especially in the US, are creating out of thin air.

Great point, it has never been as easy as today to be recognised for something as unremarkable as staying at home.

I had a doctor's appointment the other day, and the doctor completely agreed with me that the vulnerable part of the population should have been quarantined, whereas everyone else should have been allowed to go about their business so that antibodies get built up in the population. I was telling people that before, but now that a doctor backed me up, most people accept it.
I was thinking the same, quarantining the risk groups would be the most effective way to deal with it, without having to ruining entire countries' economies.

I had an online conversation with a normie who said some generic normie argument like 'you can not treat certain groups different, thats discriminating.'
Yes you can. Any country with a military draft treats certain groups differently, in this case (mostly) men of 18 years of age. When a country can order 18 year olds to serve in the military for two years, I think it is absolutely ok to quarantine risk groups as well.

Last edited:

fokm

Sparrow
Some anecdotal evidence: I mentioned to my inlaws the story about the black president testing papayas and their conclusion was that the virus infects papayas, not that the tests were BS. I tried to explain, but they trust the newsmen more.
I mentioned this story to my wife, and she said, "Maybe it was a bad batch of tests."

That's actually plausible.

That said, the real answer to the question is why is the error a false positive and not a false negative? Pregnancy tests, for instance, skew towards false negatives (you're really pregnant but the test says you're not). I've never in my life heard of a false positive pregnancy test result.

bucky

Pelican
I mentioned this story to my wife, and she said, "Maybe it was a bad batch of tests."

That's actually plausible.

That said, the real answer to the question is why is the error a false positive and not a false negative? Pregnancy tests, for instance, skew towards false negatives (you're really pregnant but the test says you're not). I've never in my life heard of a false positive pregnancy test result.
This is a bit off topic, but my wife had two false positive pregnancy tests years ago. However, that was with a "homeopathic" doctor back in her home country in Central America. I didn't know much about "homeopathic" medicine before that but the wikipedia article says it's quackery, and not being able to correctly do a pregnancy test reinforces that impression.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I forgot to add in my previous post that the doctor I talked to also agreed that while what we're doing now is bad in the sense of delaying the inevitable building up of resistance to the virus in the general population, it's also bad in the sense that it's not worth destroying the economy. Since after the first week or so when I figured out that the virus is not a modern black death that will kill millions and most people are at little risk from it, I've always maintained that the economic damage from all this is going to be far worse than any problems the virus itself causes.

Part of the problem is that most people just don't understand how many millions are in a billion and how many billions are in a trillion. Large numbers like that are key to grasping the situation, in the sense of understanding how many deaths are happening in relation to total population and how much fiat money governments, especially in the US, are creating out of thin air.
What if the economy going to crap was inevitable, as many have predicted it would be? Impossibly large bubbles bursting in a cascade of failures etc.

What if the virus and the bailouts were simply cover for GFC 2.0 so the financial sector and the fortune 500 could get off scot free or at least kick the can down the road for another decade?

What if the secondary effect of wiping out main street so that corporate America could move in with bailout cash was actually part of the plan?

The best part about this con-job is that even the people "resisting the lockdowns" credit the lockdowns as being the source of the financial damage when it seems all the big players (and their subordinates) knew to get out of the market early and are now buying while there's proverbial blood in the streets, not only with their stored cash but with federal bailout money.

And everyone who's been wiped out blames it on being forced to stay home for a few weeks.

Pretty slick scam, right?