Not using soap on your body while showering

Roosh

Cardinal
I've been recently exposed to the idea of not using any soap while showering (except for specific areas like armpits, groin, and feet). This dermatologist says we're causing disease by washing too much.

Short version:

Longer version:

Long ago I talked about my experiment with not using shampoo.
As I've gotten older, I noticed that my skin is more prone to dryness (especially my face). It doesn't make sense that I remove bodily oil with soap and then immediately after try to moisturize it. Most recently, I have had small breakouts of eczema on my face that resolves when I apply olive oil to it. So something is going on with the moisture of my face.
Another article:

It's obviously a topic that will vary person to person based on their complexion and skin. That said, I always thought the same when you mentioned the "removing natural oils to replace them with moisturizer concept". Other than the basic hygiene and getting behind my ears, around my nose, ect. I use as little soap on my face. Given the nature of my work I can't use the heavier scrubbing soap I prefer for the rest of my hands and body either, so I use as bland as possible for the face. My face is prone to similar rashing if I try to hard...

I'm a white guy, Irish heritage, and unlike you maybe, I have the least problem with dryness on my face compared to elsewhere. Surprised I'm not still breaking out like high school. I'm mid 30s.

As I get older, I find I prefer to just splash my face and keep fresh towels around more throughout the day. It even gives an energy boost a bit.

tractor

Sparrow
Most recently, I have had small breakouts of eczema on my face that resolves when I apply olive oil to it. So something is going on with the moisture of my face.
Interesting. I also have occasional breakouts of eczema on my face but I think it's because of too much sebum my skin produces (the fungus feasts on that). My cure is a daily refresher with alcohol-based after shave or eau de Cologne.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
I use soap of course to wash my hands, but have gone extended periods without shampoo and recently tried bathing without soap.

Historically, it was common for man to scrape his skin. I believe the Romans did this with sea shells, which removed the outer dead layer of skin and some oils (our skin sheds which is one reason you have to wash bed sheets frequently--this is really what makes them "dirty").

The modern way of recreating this is using a loofah or there is a plastic Japanese wash cloth that is abrasive and removes dead skin. I think I read about it on ROK years ago.

Using shampoo to strip natural oils and then conditioner to artificially add them back in always seemed odd to me. I do think it's a good idea to do periodically. Kind of like changing the oil in your car or something. It's probably bad for your car if you change the oil every day. A good, thick, consistent covering of oil over all the moving parts is essential to keep the engine from breaking down. But it's good to periodically get a fresh start and completely dump the old oil.

What I'm trying now is saving soaps and shampoos only for occasional cleansings. Currently that's about once a month but maybe doing it whenever I change my car's oil is all I need.

I have found that getting body odor particularly from armpits is not easily done with water alone, so I use a soap like Kirk's Coco Castille on the places George Carlin mentions in his "hooker bath" joke: Armpits, asshole, face, and crotch. This is the only soap my father will use and I don't see a problem with any of its ingredients:

Sodium cocoate is the main active ingredient: a mixture of fatty acids from coconut oil, and is used as a surfactant, which just means it attracts grime and dirt and things easier than water alone.

I've been reading about women's hair care lately, as women value their hair much more than men in general and should have some good tips. Some women shun washing their hair and instead brush it thoroughly every day, which cleanses it but keeps the natural oils. My barber tells me that a drying scalp is one of the biggest causes of baldness, so drying out your head with shampoo could end up losing the very hair you were trying to keep clean in the first place.

I'm interested in other's experiences with soaps and shampoos, or with alternative products or none at all.

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
Try African Black Soap. It has a buttery texture and none of the garbage in regular soap. It has a pleasant smell and helps with my normally dry skin. I use it on my scalp as well and it keeps dandruff away.

Or you could pull a Kramer...

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
During the summer on my annual month long road trip, I only bathe in rivers. I use sand to scrub. No body odor, but the musk hits quick when I do start to sweat. But my wife likes the musk, as I am sure most women do. What people complain about is the sour smell of body odor, which is bacteria.

Back home in the city I use castile soap to wash the groin, ass and armpits. I don't think I have used soap on my face in 20 years, with the exception of actual grease or road dirt from motorcycles.

Oz.

Pelican
I have been barely using soap for years and don't use shampoo at all.

A couple of things to keep in mind, your natural smell is as good as your diet and other genetic factors. So if your diet is shit then you are probably going to smell like shit. I use a natural black soap when I shower, but, I only clean my armpits, crotch, ass and feet. As far as shampoo goes, I buzz my hair off so there is no need. However, I do stimulate my scalp with a brush.

I always get compliments on smelling good even though I rarely use any cologne if ever. My diet is always in check though.

What do you guys do about dandruff? Did you have problems before you stopped using shampoo? I've had bad dandruff my whole life (I buzz my hair too) and wish I didn't need Selsun.

Sherman

Ostrich
I recently went to a Dermatologist for an itchy back. He thought it was dry skin and said to take it easy on the soap. He said Dove was ok.

Ludelos

What do you guys do about dandruff? Did you have problems before you stopped using shampoo? I've had bad dandruff my whole life (I buzz my hair too) and wish I didn't need Selsun.
I'm using head and shoulders with Pyrithione Zinc and haven't had much luck. Dandruff comes back within 24 hours of application. I've used Selsun with selinium sulfide but only got marginally better results. I think it helps to leave the shampoo on for a minute or so to get better results.

Will be trying out Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo as it's rated as the best one on the market. It uses ketoconazole as the active ingredient making it comparable to prescription grade anti dandruff shampoo.

Try al-ghar soap. It's a traditional Mediterranean soap made out of olive oil, laurel and lye. It's been passed down for generations and people use it for everything: shampoo, body and face. Make sure it's made from those 3 ingredients only using first pressed olive oil and high concentration of laurel.

Oz.

Pelican
If you buzz your hair try some coconut oil on your scalp a few times a week. Leave it on before you shower for about half an hour or so. Massage your scalp with a brush as often as you can.