NYC is Dead Forever

Towgunner

Woodpecker
Boston might be the biggest shithole in the US. Its impossible to get anywhere - the roads make no sense and are covered in 6 inch deep potholes with endless construction. MBTA is disgusting and irrational by design. The "tough Boston guy" is fake and annoying and they are always looking for confrontation - Everything out of their mouths is profanity laced with an overdone fake accent cause "I'm from Bawsten" and all they are capable of talking about is sports. The girls are ugly and loudmouthed. The city is way overpriced and every time I have to go there I dread it.

Boston Sucks.

I'm from Boston and this is spot on. I posted something relevant to the MBTA in the "report from impacted cities" thread. Its a city that's been on a slow drip for some time. One of the larger industries, finance, is going through some big secular changes, namely, the drift from active management to passive. For all but one asset manager, State Street, this is very bad. And the girls are also very ugly and very rude.

The term "masshole" is apropos, for sure. But, it contrasts the liberal nature of the city. Because its not very "liberal" to be rude to people.

bucky

Ostrich
I don't understand how any restaurant can ever be profitable if constant 75% occupancy is required just to break even. That's an insane number. It means that the restaurant must be running like an assembly line factory from the moment it opens to the moment it closes. How does that possibly function? Surely it means that either restaurant prices must increase if that industry is to be sustainable.

It's my understanding that the majority of restaurants at best are barely sustainable, have razor-thin margins, and most fail within a year of opening. That's before the current apocalypsetoo.

I've had a few restaurant ideas that seem like they might work to me, but just a cursory look into the reality of the industry makes me prefer to keep wage slaving at my office-job-turned-permanent working from home.

It's my understanding that the majority of restaurants at best are barely sustainable, have razor-thin margins, and most fail within a year of opening. That's before the current apocalypsetoo.

I've had a few restaurant ideas that seem like they might work to me, but just a cursory look into the reality of the industry makes me prefer to keep wage slaving at my office-job-turned-permanent working from home.
To add to the problem many wealthy /shady use them as tax write-offs, vanity investments or money laundering. So a guy actually trying the make a buck might have a hard time competing.

My guess is NYC restaurants will have to close up - but no doubt many landlords will be happy to get rid of some longer term lease holders and try to bring in higher-end tenants. Allegedly many retail fronts have remained vacant for years because landlords are trying to jack rent up.

Towgunner

Woodpecker
I've ran the Boston Marathon a couple of times and couldn't stand most of the locals. I don't know what's worse -- the attitudes or accents...

Both. And I'm from here. The biggest inconsistency is that Massachusetts is, apparently, very liberal, but, its also home to some of the biggest di*kheads in the world. I recall a client of mine, a very talented fund manager from Texas who had moved to Boston. He said that the locals were rude and very very incestuous. Meanwhile he was accustomed to people from the South who were friendly to a fault and will make you feel welcome.

Here's a strict rule of Boston. You will be made to feel very unwelcome in Boston at any pub, club, bar, dive bar...any social adult establishment, if you go out alone. I was surprised to learn that this actually happens in other places. You must be part of a crew. And you absolutely CANNOT try to befriend other people because to do so would mean you'd have to invade a crew. This is 100% true for males and many times this even includes the females.

The friends in my crew, some of them, we went all the way back to diapers. This seems to be the case everywhere here. So, you have a very pronounced form of xenophobia well ingrained in Boston society. How about that.

There is much to criticize here, suffice to say that the overall picture of typical Boston culture if nothing like the liberalism the city says it endorses. It is, in fact, the very opposite. But then again, this isn't so much a case of blatant hypocrisy, rather, it reveals there is a very substantial conservative presence here...in Massachusetts. And there is. gay marriage was voted down not once but twice here.

Now things have definitely changed and this place went from being tolerably liberal to intolerable in a very short period of time. The "tough guy" Bostonian with his scally cap and crew that includes at least one person named "Sully" is not a warm person is now in league with ultra homo's and tight jeans. So, much for being a "tough guy". But, wait a second...is he really? Answer: no way.

To be perfectly honest, the death of Boston all the same, this place is truly two different countries. It really is.

aeroektar

Pelican
I grew up just south of Boston, I loved the city when I was younger but I don't even like driving through it now. I live up in NH now and honestly even here people aren't much better. New England produces assholes. Everyone has an attitude. The culture is overall rotten.

Last edited:

With the fines and the license pulling, all 238 of the raided businesses might as well be counted as soon to be closed. Permanently. Punishing any commerce at this point is insane.
Considering how corrupt NYC is and DeBlasio is, it could be these businesses are targeted because they have long term leases and their landlords want them out. Many long established restaurants or middle class/small business ones have below market long term leases. Real estate and real estate developers have been driving the economy in major cities and have, with the help of democrats, instituted policies to take over Section 8 housing, move the minorities to white republican suburbs and seize what will become value land in urban areas. Super--ultra-Liberal cities like San Francisco, New York and Chicago have all been losing poor black population while loudly accusing Republican suburbs of "Racism!" - nice work if you can get it.

Deblasio is a corrupt sociopath and being a marxist, super-anti-middle class - so this fits his MO.

Steve Sailer (unz.com) always points out our current culture or 'race' war is really the super elite trying to destroy the middle class using the poor and ignorant (or high and low vs. middle) . Once you understand that, a lot more makes sense.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
The question remains for these cities (like those in NJ as well, and Chicago) ... how many more months do they have before shit really hits the fan? We will see just how problematic it is when Trump wins, because they won't even let his economic ideas and policies (which staved off collapse the last few years) help them, due to all of their silly spite and control mongering.

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
Boston sucks. I have passed through on a long layover and never had any desire to return. All I remember was drab and had not much to do with cold people and goofy women.

On accents, I find rough Philly and Boston accents on women to be unfeminine.

get2choppaaa

Woodpecker
I don't understand how any restaurant can ever be profitable if constant 75% occupancy is required just to break even. That's an insane number. It means that the restaurant must be running like an assembly line factory from the moment it opens to the moment it closes. How does that possibly function? Surely it means that either restaurant prices must increase if that industry is to be sustainable.
My parents own a restaurant in Texas. Dad is the Chef and Mom runs the front/financial side. They've been in business for 36 years (it's literally the longest continually operated Chef owned restaurant in the state) and almost shut down after the 1 month no dining bullshit followed by 25 then 50 percent occupancy and finally 75 percent just this last month.

The fact that any government is being allowed to do this is a sign of how fucked this country is, but Deblasio basically screwed New York for another 20 years before they'll return to the Giuliani success that Bloomberg inherted and passed to Deblasio.