Off the grid/Vanlife/Tiny Home/Boat living lifestyle

Leads

Robin
This is what I'm planning to do but honestly don't have the time to build it myself so I'm looking to get it professionally done. If you don't have access to the proper tools and helpers it can be a real challenge.

I also look at it as somewhat of an investment - not just because it should hold its value relatively well, but also as an investment in my mental health and also adventure goals/values.

Did you work on the road too? I plan to get signal boosters but am worried about not finding adequate places to work from. Curious to hear about your setup. I was also planning to spend time at coffee shops and co-working spaces but who knows what the status will be of those or if I'll need certain 'papers' to even get in. Also, the shower situation is a good point since many used their Planet Fitness/24 Hour membership to shower.
I just watched YT vanlife build vids until I became obsessed with my own design idea and layout (Found a nice butcher block at Goodwill and used it for standing desk and kitchen counter), but yeah I lucked out on having a neighbor who was a pro and had the tools / skills required. I like the term "adventure goals" and will have to start saying that more, lol.

The plan was this ideal situation of working at the standing desk which rarely happened. I mostly went to libraries and reserved the nicest office for 3 hr blocks. I looked into the boosters but didn't want a big ass antena on top. Now I'm looking at storage containers home type stuff

hedonist

Woodpecker
Imo if people feel the need to show their daily life, it’s probably not that great. If it was they would just be enjoying their daily life. Van life might look good in a heavily edited faked daily life video, but pooping in your kitchen, cold evenings and hot days gets boring very fast. And it has all the negative sides of being fully nomadic. Tinyhouses are cute, but people end up spending way to much time thinking about how to live the minimalist life than they do enjoying living a minimalist life. Just live minimalistic in a normal house imo.

It’s a cool hobby project, but it’s not a very practical lifestyle.

Some great videos, notice how much happier the children appear!!!

I have not watched the other videos yet but this caught my eye. Observations:

-NZ sucks enough that for sure they are happier than Kiwis in general.
-Robert Long would've probably made a great doctor and been a threat to someone/the med industrial complex, and probably was forced to live like this where he wasn't a threat(forced to drop out), whether he knew it or not. Probably he didn't know exactly, but I imagine the people who had control of the med school made his life hell, in a similar way the Unabomber's life was probably made hell.
-Since NZ poisons their forests with 1080, his way of living is very vulnerable and he's too poor to do anything about it.
-They are much, much better looking than Kiwis in general, which to non-Kiwis probably is surprising. Although Robert might look too rugged/aged out, not sure how old he is.

westernman

Sparrow
I have mixed feelings about this

On one hand, you are quite literally living in a pod. pretty demoralizing, and no way to put down roots and start a family.

On the other, you are avoiding paying rent, loans, and other instruments of financial slavery. Maybe it's not a bad way to get out of the parent's house and start a life, So long as you have plans to upgrade to a traditional house/land afterward. I think living off-grid is a great idea, but we need space.

jimbro

Chicken
Many of these minimalist and van-life youtubers are fake. Off camera, they live in houses and apartments. A scantily dressed female influencer who claimed to live in an RV all the time was spotted driving a sports car out of a villa. Too much money from Onlyfans, Youtube and other sites make minimalist-life van-life just another show to profit from on camera.

hedonist

Woodpecker
I have mixed feelings about this

On one hand, you are quite literally living in a pod. pretty demoralizing, and no way to put down roots and start a family.

On the other, you are avoiding paying rent, loans, and other instruments of financial slavery. Maybe it's not a bad way to get out of the parent's house and start a life, So long as you have plans to upgrade to a traditional house/land afterward. I think living off-grid is a great idea, but we need space.
I think if you have spent a lot of time in work camps or hostels it doesn't bother you as much....the key point is to having good land where you want to be outside as much as possible, on a deck etc

If you live in a big city highrise you are pretty much in a pod anyway..... rent is pretty much half the price of a seacan a month for a studio let alone a one bedroom etc

Zoso

Woodpecker
Don´t see the appeal. What´s wrong with living in society? Can´t you go and live in a village where houses are cheap? Why live in the middle of nowhere on a mountain? One thing is trying to be the most independent possible. Growing food. Not having mortgages. But I like society perks. It doesn´t make sense to live like some kind of animal.

Sometimes watch "Alone" reality show. It´s harsh.

Boats are small inside. For 15-30 days. They have motor issues, etc.

I truly miss society benefits in this chinesevirus crisis.
Exactly. And I wonder: do they have accident/health insurance ? they never get ill? But for some months each year is a great idea.

Last edited:

Grow Bag

Woodpecker
That girl has bigger arms than 99% of the men in Australia, she's a haaard worker. ;)
That couple were on a TV show I watched. Their story was sort of inspiring until it got to the part where they described their open relationship, which was about the woman having sexual liasons along the way. I also didn't like the role reversal, the woman being the hunter and the bloke being the home maker.

That couple were on a TV show I watched. Their story was sort of inspiring until it got to the part where they described their open relationship, which was about the woman having sexual liasons along the way. I also didn't like the role reversal, the woman being the hunter and the bloke being the home maker.

I remember seeing that video a few years ago and came across another video of her yesterday.

Here it is :

It funny you say that about the open relationship, cause I didn't know it but clearly see there was something "off" in their relationship.

First with what she says starting at 2:30 and his reaction at 2:40 when she calls him "brainy". He clearly feels insulted and rightfully so as she is basically saying "I am the man in the relationship". And he is like "bitch, you wouldn't have survive in the wild without me, don't call me brainy."
She clearly took his place as the bread winner as she is the own hunting and writing books to bring the money after he got old and couldn't keep up.

And then you see her and the compatriot interviewer going just the two of them collecting mussels and you can see the flirty attitude she has with him.

So yeah props to her for having the guts to live a tough life like that but unfortunately she transposed her strong and independent feminist background of first world city life into this life.
Some women just can't let it go even in more natural and simpler lifestyle and will just never truly submit to their men.

The only thing that sucks about the "Tiny Home" thing is that it is geared to promote Population Reduction and the Lack of Starting Families and is part of the "No Ownership" Movement being promoted by Agenda 21. In addition, it also costs more in the long run because of how you have to buy and provide supplies for it.

That being said, some of us may be forced to live this way one way or another due to what's coming.

I am in need of trying to find others who want to get in a similar off-grid living scenario, but I am at loss of trying to find people who are not anti-social or communist in nature and have some "culturedness" to them who would be interested in being part of a project or buying up some property.

I'm also beginning to fall out of the loop with how to go about finding such communities and people online. If anyone is interested or may know about how to find other off-grid communities or to start forming one, please let me know. For the most part, will likely be staying in the States.

I need to be somewhere away from the COVIDIOTS and anyone who wears masks. So tired of it. If you are German, it's also a plus.

Last edited:

hedonist

Woodpecker
The only thing that sucks about the "Tiny Home" thing is that it is geared to promote Population Reduction and the Lack of Starting Families and is part of the "No Ownership" Movement being promoted by Agenda 21. In addition, it also costs more in the long run because of how you have to buy and provide supplies for it.

That being said, some of us may be forced to live this way one way or another due to what's coming.

I am in need of trying to find others who want to get in a similar off-grid living scenario, but I am at loss of trying to find people who are not anti-social or communist in nature and have some "culturedness" to them who would be interested in being part of a project or buying up some property.

I'm also beginning to fall out of the loop with how to go about finding such communities and people online. If anyone is interested or may know about how to find other off-grid communities or to start forming one, please let me know. For the most part, will likely be staying in the States.

I need to be somewhere away from the COVIDIOTS and anyone who wears masks. So tired of it. If you are German, it's also a plus.

Unfortunately most seem to be the degenerate types

I remember a similar one in central america

Apparently there is one on the Hawaiian islands too but no idea on the crowd

Some of these look better

Unfortunately most seem to be the degenerate types

I remember a similar one in central america

Apparently there is one on the Hawaiian islands too but no idea on the crowd

Some of these look better
Thanks for sending me those, and yeah that is the unfortunate truth, nearly all the type of people who are into the lifestyle are often times Anarchists, Queers and other types of Unreliable Commie Degenerate types.

My whole reasoning of switching to this mode of life is more out of necessity in the long run.

By any chance do you know of any other websites / communities or lists like those but for in the United States?

It seems so hard to find the right type of people for starting this project. I don't necessarily want to develop any land per se unless there is an opportunity for it, just need to find someone who has a living situation that is in alignment with mind who wouldn't mind renting out a portion of their property and to have either a Tiny House on a trailer or a Small Cottage or Cabin built on some concrete slabs.