Official Boxing Thread for Videos, History, Interviews, Analysis, etc.

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
AJ is also a (London) Olympic champion — that's a hugely contributing factor. I'll admit he was gifted the gold, but he deserved silver. You don't get that far at amateur if you have no skills. He's a better technical fighter than Wilder, but both are a bettered by Fury, skill-wise. Just a shame Fury can't punch at the top level, maybe that's the trade off to fight on the back foot as he does. AJ also delivered knockouts in all his early fights a la Mike Tyson, and for the casual fan - that's what they want. As Rogan and Fury discussed. They don't care if they're bums - Mike Tyson also fought a ton of bums on his way up. It's an entertainment business just as much as a sport. It's prizefighting after all.

A large reason for the success of UK boxing in the past half-decade is the popularity of fan channels like IFL TV that give the general public access to fighters in a way Sky Sports etc can't. Candid interviews where they're friendly with the hosts and can talk as mates. There are some American ones too, like Seconds Out and Behind the Gloves, but they're almost both de facto based in Britain more these days since American boxing is really in a bad place and has been for some time. I think it can recover though, as I said in the post you quoted. Most of my favourite fighters are Americans, so I'm not a hater by the way, despite me continuously mentioning America's boxing decline.

Though I have to admit my favourite fighter for sheer entertainment was 'Prince' Naseem Hamed. It's funny how back then his religion was seen as some quaint little thing, cute almost, how times have changed since 9/11. Guy's a geezer though, and a good example of multiculturalism done right.

Lagavulin said:
TravelerKai said:
Who you guys got Erroll or Garcia? I cannot seem to pick a guy. Seems like a real toss up to me.

A good big guy beats a good little guy. Spence by KO.

Totally agree. They're both great. At the same weight, I'd go with Garcia due to his experience. But Spence outweighs him by about 12 pounds, and that's a lot! Go with Spence.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Planned to make a post on the upcoming Wilder v. Fury fight, but I got distracted by the Feminine mannerisms off (I assume heterosexual) LA men in this video. Something strange seems to be going on over there!

Fury is looking slim and fit I must say though. I think a decision in favour off Fury is a likely result. If the judges are fair. Could be a great fight despite the lackluster interest from fans and media. Seems like the fight is bigger in the UK, even though it`s happening in LA.

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
Jonny, the fight is massive in the UK. Why they're staging it over in LA is beyond me. Wilder would have made more money over here. You could say he wants hometown favour with judging, but even he must know if this goes to points Fury will be miles ahead... barring a robbery.

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
Fury looks fit and he's the more skilled of the two. I can't help feel that he could have done with another fight or two before this one though. Hope he wins though, he's funny as fuck.

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
Just chucked £20 on Fury to win by KO/Stoppage. I know it's a highly unlikely result (8/1 - not sure what that translates to in the decimal format used in the US) but makes it more fun to watch, and I would love it to happen.

Yo AJ, stay humble bro!

Poker

Woodpecker
Teedub said:
Just chucked £20 on Fury to win by KO/Stoppage. I know it's a highly unlikely result (8/1 - not sure what that translates to in the decimal format used in the US) but makes it more fun to watch, and I would love it to happen.

Yo AJ, stay humble bro!

“I like the guy, he’s doing well, he’s got a good body.... I bet he’s got a big cock an all. Probably I wish I had it”
:laugh:

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Teedub said:

Yo AJ, stay humble bro!

It`s not very likely, but I wouldn`t be shocked if Tyson stops him in the later rounds either. The bookies I`ve checked gives about 3.2x your money on a Fury decision win...maybe worth throwing 10£ in that direction as a hedge?

booshala

Pelican
Gold Member
I bet Fury at +150 outright, couldn't hang my hat on the decision or over/under prop bet this time around. Hoping to see Wilder throw bombs from the get-go but Fury is a smart fighter with astonishing footwork and skills for someone who's 6'9". Too bad the undercards are so one-sided.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
booshala said:
I bet Fury at +150 outright, couldn't hang my hat on the decision or over/under prop bet this time around. Hoping to see Wilder throw bombs from the get-go but Fury is a smart fighter with astonishing footwork and skills for someone who's 6'9". Too bad the undercards are so one-sided.

I think Fury has a good chance, but I wouldn`t be surprised if the judges screw him over. After the Klitschko fight I was sure they would give it to Wladimir, (I lost a lot of money on that fight:mad:) but they where surprisingly fair. Not so sure this time around, if it goes the distance.

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
You do not want to be "too lean" for this particular fight.... Wilder is big and extremely strong. He is going to need some mass to hang on if he gets tagged a few times in a bad streak. He isn't Floyd and can avoid 85%+ of the opponents punches.

Wilder also likes to grab the opponents lead hand and punch. So he is going to need some additional mass to avoid getting his hands pulled down.

The only way that will backfire on him is if it slows him down so much that he loses his speed advantage over Wilder.

Fury will have a massive weight advantage. Wilder is light enough that he could fight at cruiserweight if he wanted to. He just hits so hard he doesn't need to. A good example of weight not mattering that much in striking. Once a guy gets in the 185lb+ cateogory, he can knock anyone out. Ie..Mark Hunt vs. Manhoef

I expect Fury to fight long primarily with some frequent clinching to make Wilder carry his weight tiring him out. Wilder has a chin, took solid shots from the Cuban guy last fight. So don't see him getting knocked out.

Gypsy king by unaminous decision.

Watching Fury I really get the feeling his nickname isn't bravado.

A millenium ago he would have been an Irish high king nailing anglo-norman invaders with a spear from a hundred metres out.

A real life Goliath.