Official Boxing Thread for Videos, History, Interviews, Analysis, etc.

booshala

Pelican
Gold Member

Pretty short (at least for JRE) episode with Deontay. Rogan obviously sugarcoats a lot of the interview and throws him a bunch of other softball questions. I've been a fan ever since Wilder took Charlie Zelenoff to task for talking shit about his daughter and after watching this interview I like the guy even more. He is incredibly genuine and his story about coming up is very inspirational.

That said, I think the tone of his responses is indicative to how guileless he is. Listen to the way he describes things. From the way he talks about how his grandmother said he was "anointed to do great things" to thinly veiled allusions of Fury's "gypsy magic" helping him up from that hellacious knockdown in the 12th and preventing Wilder from fully realizing the power in his right hand... this is not the narrative of a deep thinker. Contrast that with his opponent who's an incredibly wily natural boxer.

This leads me to believe that Wilder will bring the same one-dimensional fight plan to the rematch no matter what his corner encourages him to do. He's gonna dance with the punch that brought him this far and once again rely on that world class straight right. Fury knows the game plan now. With the ring rust likely shaken off, he's not likely going to get knocked down again in the second fight and once again put on a clinic. I don't think any judge - paid off or not - is going to be shameless enough to give a decision score to Wilder if Fury puts on the clinic I think he will in v 2.0.

TLDR Summary: Complete gorilla psychoanalysis on my part, but this interview makes me feel like Wilder will have the exact same game plan as the first fight. I'm very curious to see what the oddsmakers initially put out. If Fury is the underdog or it's basically even money, I'll likely put aside my moral compunctions about the first fight's decision and put a decent sized bet on him for the win.

Its a tough one for me. Everyone is saying Fury will clean Wilder up now he has shaken the rust off and clearly outboxed him on points but im not so sure.

In my opinion I believe Fury has lost the psychological edge now. He cant tell Wilder at press conferences he is going to knock him out with conviction anymore because frankly he never looked like knocking him out where as Wilder looked like he could have ended the fight with one Fury mistake. His put downs of skinny legs, you're a basketball player, you're not a boxer will not intimidate or make Wilder second guess himself anymore because he knows he laid Fury out with a miraculous recovery deep in the count robbing him of glory. Fury will be very respectful if not afraid of Wilder's punching power after getting dropped the second time (the first one I thought was a slip). Wilder has nothing to fear and knows a few good connections and Fury is going down.

Il be supporting Fury, I respect the man and dislike Wilders voodoo bullshit. Hopefully my hack prediction is completely wrong.

booshala

Pelican
Gold Member
Who watched the Crawford/Khan fight over the weekend? Had family engagements and the -1600 line on Crawford was too steep for me to get involved. Just saw the fight now and it looks hard to argue against Khan using the low blow to bow out without losing too much face. Even though in retrospect Khan looks to be washed up, it’s still very impressive seeing Bud putting on a clinic.

Who do you all have on a potential matchup with Errol Spence? And yes, I know that there’s a lot of bullshit keeping it from happening, but I think money will win out over the long run if both fighters continue to be dominant.

Belize King

Pelican
Gold Member
Both Crawford and Spence aren't big enough names for money to beat politics. Everybody would love to see a fight. Unfortunately, its boxing. I doubt that fight would pull 500k in buys.

I think I read the Khan Crawford fight was 70 dollars. I couldnt justify paying that.

booshala

Pelican
Gold Member
Belize King said:
Both Crawford and Spence aren't big enough names for money to beat politics. Everybody would love to see a fight. Unfortunately, its boxing. I doubt that fight would pull 500k in buys.

I think I read the Khan Crawford fight was 70 dollars. I couldnt justify paying that.

You make a good point. I see a fight scenario at the sunset of their careers like Mayweather/Pacquiao being just as likely as it never happening. As a lifelong fight fan, I hope I’m wrong and it somehow materializes. But damn, Bob Arum talks a lot of shit.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Any predictions for the Ruiz-Joshua fight?

I must say that I think Ruiz looks very confident and relaxed, while Joshua seems a bit tense maybe. I think that Joshua will try the victory by attrition tactic this time around, maybe fight in a Wlad Klitschko like manner. He`s coming in a bit lighter, so he`ll probably have some steam left in the latter half of the fight.

Ruiz is coming in to the fight a bit heavier than usual, but generally looking pretty good I think. His chances will be to catch Joshua early on I think, similar to the first fight. He has deceptively fast hands, so there is a chance of that happening. Pretty favourable odds for Ruiz I think, since he won the last fight. 1.5-3.5-Joshua-Ruiz app. at the bookies I`ve checked.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Teedub said:
Joshua on points in a Lewis v Tua type fight. Or Ruiz to KO him again. Just my opinion.

Yeah, that`s pretty much the way I see it also. Although, I don`t think Joshua has the skill of Lewis. But then again Ruiz is probably not as dangerous as Tua was either.

Bull

Chicken
Though I was rooting for Ruiz, the only realistic way for him to beat AJ was by KO/TKO. I think everyone knew Joshua would beat him in the point game.

oilbreh

Woodpecker
Swore off boxing but occasionally come back to watch another fight. No regrets gonna keep not watching. Lame shit all around. If someone beats you properly and you come back and just throw jabs and drop a clinch every time (sometimes with your outside hand lol) they got close you don't redeem yourself. All the boxing gurus that I know will come out and start yapping about fight IQ etc etc, just start watching tennis shits more entertaining and free if that is what you are into.

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
It's about winning. Entertaining casual fans and taking unnecessary risks just results in what happened in their first fight. Meh, I'm one of those "boxing gurus" so I'll leave it there.