Old Laptops

epps_1920

Sparrow
Other Christian
I have an old lenovo laptop I've had in my closet for 10yrs (!)

Opted to install Xbuntu and use it as a backup for data (encrypted) and maybe a few lighter tasks.

Just curious to know what someone else as done with an old laptop besides pulling the hard drive and either donating or destructing. I have a friend that uses one as a server, I'm sure there's many more possibilities.

joost

Kingfisher
I used Mac in the past. Always selling the old one to buy a newer. I moved away from Apple and now I use a cheap Asus laptop I bought on Walmart for $215. I formatted the HD to install Fedora and my experience so far have been great.

I'm waiting for Asahi Linux to work on the M1 macbooks. Might take some years.

Sargon2112

Robin
Protestant
I've got an old HP running Ubuntu that I use in the shop for pulling up service manuals from a NAS and watching the occasional repair video. It's about 10 years old with an early i5 processor. It was a work computer in it's day, so the ram and HDD are maxxed.

I play with SDR on it a bit too (gnu radio, rtlsdr, unitrunker).

I bought a 35 dollar docking station for it off Amazon several years ago when I decided to use it out there. A good retirement for it for sure.

MarshalZhukov

Sparrow
Catholic
I've got an old HP running Ubuntu that I use in the shop for pulling up service manuals from a NAS and watching the occasional repair video. It's about 10 years old with an early i5 processor. It was a work computer in it's day, so the ram and HDD are maxxed.

I play with SDR on it a bit too (gnu radio, rtlsdr, unitrunker).

I bought a 35 dollar docking station for it off Amazon several years ago when I decided to use it out there. A good retirement for it for sure.
I use an old laptop for a similar purpose of logging data as I drive my car around while trying to tune the engine.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
Three of my old laptops - Dell, IBM Thinkpad & Lenovo - are running on Linux Debian OS. As part of work, I also still use my two other old laptops - MacBook & IBM Thinkpad's Windows - that contained a lot of software programs I still use (i.e., Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat Professional, etc.)

All 5 of my old laptops are from early 2000's when I bought them used back then.

Currently - whenever I have time - I have an old IBM server that I am trying to set up and install (likely Linux Debian server) as part of my small business project - i.e., plan is to set up a LAMP web server and host the websites on my own machine instead of relying on web hosting provider.

Street Justice

Pigeon
Protestant
Before everybody started carrying smartphones I used to set them up around the house on ethernet connections to look up information, whether from the home server or on the Internet. I still prefer to have one at my chair to read on, rather than looking at a tablet or phone.

Lately as a hobby I've been cleaning up and repairing all the old electronics I still have, which includes some computers of various types. In my opinion, laptops are much harder to service and repair than desktops. I don't think I'd like to use a laptop for a home server, for which I care more about reliability than mobility.

If you have kids the old laptops can run educational software. Could install some networked games on them to play when you have friends or family over. Keep it in the car in case you need a computer somewhere. Do people still wardrive? Hook it up to a TV as a media center PC. If the machine breaks, someone could practice soldering with it.