Orthodox Baptism

Siskin

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
I have been studying orthodoxy for a few years now, and have decided to seek baptism in the orthodox church ( I have never been baptised into any faith ). I am not a member of the orthodox church, I live in a rural area and due to this as well as 2 years of lockdowns, seeking an orthodox church has been problematic at best. I have finally made contact with a priest in a small church a couple of hours drive from me, and I'm trying to get information about the process of catechesis, baptism and chrismation. But I have had no solid information regarding what is the actual process? How long does it take? Does orthodox baptism still occur only once per year? What do I have to do? Is it about, say, attending liturgies regularly for 6 months? Passing some sort of knowledge or faith tests? I may sound incredibly naïve, and maybe I am, but I really have no idea what to expect. I was raised strictly without religion all of my life, and have only found my way to Christ in my later years. I could use some guidance! I know that when I arrange to meet with the priest I can ask about all of this, but I would like to know sooner rather than later, if at all possible! Thanks in advance.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
I have been studying orthodoxy for a few years now, and have decided to seek baptism in the orthodox church ( I have never been baptised into any faith ). I am not a member of the orthodox church, I live in a rural area and due to this as well as 2 years of lockdowns, seeking an orthodox church has been problematic at best. I have finally made contact with a priest in a small church a couple of hours drive from me, and I'm trying to get information about the process of catechesis, baptism and chrismation. But I have had no solid information regarding what is the actual process? How long does it take?
First off congratulations on starting your journey! I was baptized November 2019. Once you've decided on getting joining the Church it can take as short as a few weeks if you're in a schismatic jurisdiction, but more realistically about a year give or take. Some people end up taking longer, especially in cases where the catechumen has a busy priest and the catechumen isn't actively pushing the priest for instruction.
Does orthodox baptism still occur only once per year?
No, but there are times where it is more common like Theophany and Bright Week.
What do I have to do? Is it about, say, attending liturgies regularly for 6 months? Passing some sort of knowledge or faith tests?
Attend as many services you can. Some priests will have regular meetings with you, some may have a class (especially in larger churches) you attend. I'm not aware of any knowledge or faith tests aside from learning the Nicene Creed.
I may sound incredibly naïve, and maybe I am, but I really have no idea what to expect. I was raised strictly without religion all of my life, and have only found my way to Christ in my later years. I could use some guidance! I know that when I arrange to meet with the priest I can ask about all of this, but I would like to know sooner rather than later, if at all possible! Thanks in advance.
It varies greatly from priest to priest, and from convert to convert. Don't worry about what you don't know. Two weeks before I asked to become a catechumen I didn't even know the "Our Father" and had never fully read any of the Gospels. That's how much I had ignored Christianity my whole life.

Siskin

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
Thank you DanielH, from what I gather it is a very variable thing, dependent upon many factors. I also do not know if there are variances between Orthodox churches in America and those in the UK (where I am). I will do what I frequently do, wing it and pray for God to lead me the correct way! I am both nervous and excited to start as a catechumen.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Thank you DanielH, from what I gather it is a very variable thing, dependent upon many factors. I also do not know if there are variances between Orthodox churches in America and those in the UK (where I am). I will do what I frequently do, wing it and pray for God to lead me the correct way! I am both nervous and excited to start as a catechumen.
How are you doing Siskin? I just came across this early post of yours. Are you still moving toward baptism? It is not uncommon here to spend a year, attending services for the whole church year, before being baptized. No tests; our learning never ends!

Siskin

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
How are you doing Siskin? I just came across this early post of yours. Are you still moving toward baptism? It is not uncommon here to spend a year, attending services for the whole church year, before being baptized. No tests; our learning never ends!
Hello! I am still here. Yes I am still moving in that general direction and my husband and I have met with our priest and his wife several times since last June. We have had major family upheaval due to a medical diagnosis, but our faith remains strong and I have been grateful for the support. So I am a fledgling catechumen, but I think it will be a long road. Which is fine, as it's the right road for me to be on. Thank you for asking.