Orthodox Church in Edmonton Alberta area without masks?

Retard_Strength

Chicken
Orthodox Catechumen
I've been in the blessed rural US for the last year where this is a non issue and wonder about the differences for you up there. Does anyone break the requirement of mask wearing in public? What do you suppose would happen if you didn't? Do you have any sense of whether or not the priests agree with the requirement?

Please forgive my curiosity. I do hope you find such a place.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
I've been in the blessed rural US for the last year where this is a non issue and wonder about the differences for you up there. Does anyone break the requirement of mask wearing in public? What do you suppose would happen if you didn't? Do you have any sense of whether or not the priests agree with the requirement?

I don't have any answers to your questions but had a good laugh at your username.

tikkasakko

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen

I do not wear a mask anywhere. There is a "mandate" requiring masks in public, and vaccinations for indoor dining. I am not bothered 99% of the time. I see others not wearing masks and we usually smile or nod at each other. I was attending an Orthodox Church for a couple of months, but when they caved to mandate I stopped attending. I don't want to come off harsh, but I have no time for cowards or nonsense. There is a protestant church that ignores the mandates, and the pastor was jailed, and they still carry on their services. I have attended their service, and they are nice people, but I don't agree with their theology/teachings. I have decided to attend an Orthodox Church without a mask, untill I find one that accepts me. What's it like where you are? Life as usual?

Retard_Strength

Chicken
Orthodox Catechumen
I do not wear a mask anywhere. There is a "mandate" requiring masks in public, and vaccinations for indoor dining. I am not bothered 99% of the time. I see others not wearing masks and we usually smile or nod at each other. I was attending an Orthodox Church for a couple of months, but when they caved to mandate I stopped attending. I don't want to come off harsh, but I have no time for cowards or nonsense. There is a protestant church that ignores the mandates, and the pastor was jailed, and they still carry on their services. I have attended their service, and they are nice people, but I don't agree with their theology/teachings. I have decided to attend an Orthodox Church without a mask, untill I find one that accepts me. What's it like where you are? Life as usual?
Gotcha. It is indeed cowardly and nonsensical. Some have seen it all along, some are coming around, some may never understand. I believe they are incapable of seeing the truth of it at this time. I immediately walked away from a girl on a first date who stopped to put on a mask after mentioning she was vaxxed and never looked back. I have had little patience for it myself.

I remember Fr. Peter Heers suggesting some possibilities for negotiating with a priest, while attempting to remain obedient and respectful. "May I stand in the Narthex? May I stand right outside the window?"

There are few who are still going along with the narrative here, most are opposed to it. The big stores have their employees masked up, it is an oddity outside of that.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
OP I also live in Edmonton and as you’re probably already aware, it has a huge historic Ukrainian population, the largest in Canada which is second in the world after Russia for people of Ukrainian descent. As such there are Orthodox churches everywhere but the ones in the city likely follow Covid protocols and may be monitored by the government. If so I suggest driving out to one of the Ukrainian villages on the outskirts of the city such as Mundare, where you can also visit the world’s largest Kielbasa sausage ( https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-world-s-largest-sausage-mundare-alberta )or Vegreville, where you can visit the world’s largest Ukrainian Easter Egg AKA Pysanka ( https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/vegreville-pysanka ).

I have no idea why these rural Ukrainians have the biggest Sausage and Easter Egg but I do know that the people of rural Alberta tend to be anti-authoritarian and openly flout the rules so I’d say that’s your best bet for finding a mask free Orthodox church.

Black Ortho Acolyte

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
The struggle is real. I've recently discovered a Priest who at least see's the vaccine for what it is. It'll require a work schedule change and a very long Journey to attend but at least push come to shuv the option has opened up. At least in Blue states driving past 5+Parishes on 2-4hr Journey's to find a Priest who is against the forerunner mark seems to be the norm yet alone finding a maskless Parish. G'luck on your search brother.