Orthodox Conversion

I've been a member of a mainline protestant denomination my whole life, and only after getting red-pilled did I start to notice the more unsavory aspects of my mainstream church ie: support for abortion, gay marriage, illegal immigration etc.

There was always a feeling, prior to this, that i didn't belong as a protestant. I think in some way, prosperity gospel that was originally a thing with mega churches, has started to infiltrate normal protestant churches. That, coupled with the SJW stuff has turned me off Protestantism. Also, in my experience the church as a whole just seemed to make up doctrine as it went along, which is not good at all.

I had ancestors who were orthodox but they converted when they immigrated. Having recently lived in Slavic Europe, i like what i saw with the orthodox church. The only thing that makes me uneasy is the state's support of (most) orthodox churches (from my understanding of it). I've been to a service too, and i liked the way worship was conducted. Standing up, singing with voices only, etc.

Can anyone that's orthodox give me some advise on converting, and maybe try to be devil's advocate and give me reasons why I shouldn't convert? I've been thinking about converting quite a while now (3-4 years now), and I'd love to get some perspective from someone in the church.

EndsExpect

Kingfisher
Dragan said:
Can anyone that's orthodox give me some advise on converting, and maybe try to be devil's advocate and give me reasons why I shouldn't convert? I've been thinking about converting quite a while now (3-4 years now), and I'd love to get some perspective from someone in the church.
I'm not in the church, but I came very, very close to converting back in 2001. Orthodox Theology is on point. The more popular protestant churches are for idiots. They don't even understand their own religion. I got really deep into theology in my early 20's, to the point where I was studying the difference between Infralapsarianism
and Supralapsarianism. I think most Orthodox churches are around 90% correct if you care about that stuff.

I will also add that back then the church I was attended was stuffed wall to wall with hot young virgins. If you are willing to marry they have some amazing wife material in that church. I have a friend who just married one. She was 26 and still a virgin... if that's your thing.

EndsExpect said:
I will also add that back then the church I was attended was stuffed wall to wall with hot young virgins. If you are willing to marry they have some amazing wife material in that church. I have a friend who just married one. She was 26 and still a virgin... if that's your thing.
Thanks for this info, hoping ultimately to meet a conservative chick who isn't completely Westernized.

Here is a very good Video from Baptist Preacher Steven Anderson on the subject of "Orthodoxy". He has a similiar criticism video on catholocism, which I appreciate even though Im catholic myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLTcfWOKB4

It might offend people, but he preaches the truth and relies on the bible (gods words) as the final authoritiy in religios matters.

Noir

Pelican
Gold Member
I am Orthodox, you will need to be baptized in an Orthodox church by an Orthodox priest.

It's nothing special but hey, if you vibe with it, go for it.

Noir said:
I am Orthodox, you will need to be baptized in an Orthodox church by an Orthodox priest.

It's nothing special but hey, if you vibe with it, go for it.
Right. But how long does it take?

Laska

Tony_Flame said:
Here is a very good Video from Baptist Preacher Steven Anderson on the subject of "Orthodoxy". He has a similiar criticism video on catholocism, which I appreciate even though Im catholic myself.

It might offend people, but he preaches the truth and relies on the bible (gods words) as the final authoritiy in religios matters.
Steven Anderson is an intelligent man, with insights and boldness; he's willing to stand for the truth about things like the gay-sex movement. Here, however, he takes parts of the Bible out of context or relies on his own interpretations. That's why he says that people are saved by belief in Christ, rather than being saved by faith (conviction) in Christ, which must involve works, because if you have conviction in something, you act on it. This is why James said that faith without works is dead.

One of the things that's bad about him, and you can see this here, is that he is one of those Protestants with a Very narrow definition of who Christians are, that excludes most of the world's Christians.

Tony_Flame said:

This man is mostly maniacal. I got a kick out of him for being so silly, but not only does he misrepresent things there, he is someone who has no clue about what he doesn't know.

That's generally what you get from people who say things like "The King James Bible is the inerrant word of God".

He states such things but then says other people don't make sense? It's just weird. Within the first 2 minutes of that sermon he had already contradicted himself. "The Orthodox Church states that works are the way to be saved". Then he lists a few seconds later what he reads off of some document that puts (among other things) #1. Faith.

:wtf:

^ It is funny, because the guy (and I don't think he is personally/mentally stupid, just on a preacher type "high" of self righteousness, with silly pronouncements and beliefs) would never be able to tell you where he derives his authority. If he knew anything about the "Bible" its collection, evolution, compilation and textual analysis, hermeneutics, etc he could never say something that is akin to looking at the bible like a Quranic manuscript that fell from the sky. Of course, similar to other weird, confused literalists, there are 30k protestant teachers that somehow all come to slightly different interpretations of why they should be followed vs the other guy.

The Bible never says that its text should be followed in a literal way or that's "all you need" which is the supreme irony: These bible only people use an extrabiblical tradition, which is what they complain others do!

The man is part of a "religion" that was created in the 17th century. But he knows more about the bible and worship of god in spirit and truth than the people who have the most ancient churches in the same area where the original christians were --- people who, I might add, have not ever changed their doctrine and practice. Think about how stupid that is.

I've started researching/reading more about Orthodox Christianity and have been attending to an Orthodox church on regular basis recently. I also have weekly one to one session with my priest.

From my limited knowledge, I find Orthodox Christianity the most traditional trend in Christianity faith, mainly because it hasn't been changed much over the time. Their views on family, homosexuality, and multiculturalism are extremely RedPill. I don't know if I have decided to convert. However, I don't find a major problem with that in long-term.

This is a useful Youtube Channel to start with:

^ Trend, IronShark? Haha, keep up the good work. When you find out what the "Bee" reference is, you'll really see this treasure for what it is.

Nacho

Sparrow
I left evangelical protestantism for Orthodoxy as well and never looked back. The majesty of the Orthodox Church is night and day compared to the circus show that many evangelical churches have devolved into. I used to cringe at the tackiness of certain aspects of the protestant church services I used to attend at various churches over the years. I definitely don't miss the gay campy worship songs that were typically led by some cuck with bleached blond hair and torn jeans.

In my opinion, a good amount of Protestantism amounts to nothing more than a personality cult revolving around the pastor and 'leaders' of the church. Power struggles and church splits are a common occurrence. The theology and doctrine are absolutely terrible as well. For all the claims I have seen of being 'bible only' believing churches, it's just not credible with thousands of denominations.

For those interested in Orthodoxy, my advice is to simply attend the Liturgy with an open heart. Unclutter your mind and let it soak in. Don't stress about theology or differences in doctrine. That understanding with the historic underpinnings of the faith will come with time. This is the same advice a wise priest gave when I first started attending. In my western christian mindset, I initially tried to break things down in a very formulaic way with my initial struggles. You will begin to slowly experience the 'Orthodox way.' Unlike the shallowness of Protestantism, Orthodoxy is like a treasure chest that you will never reach the bottom of. A book I highly recommend is called The Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos M Markides. It gets to the heart of Eastern Orthodox spirituality. Anything written by Alexander Schmemann as well.

Nacho said:
I left evangelical protestantism for Orthodoxy as well and never looked back. The majesty of the Orthodox Church is night and day compared to the circus show that many evangelical churches have devolved into. I used to cringe at the tackiness of certain aspects of the protestant church services I used to attend at various churches over the years. I definitely don't miss the gay campy worship songs that were typically led by some cuck with bleached blond hair and torn jeans.

In my opinion, a good amount of Protestantism amounts to nothing more than a personality cult revolving around the pastor and 'leaders' of the church. Power struggles and church splits are a common occurrence. The theology and doctrine are absolutely terrible as well. For all the claims I have seen of being 'bible only' believing churches, it's just not credible with thousands of denominations.

For those interested in Orthodoxy, my advice is to simply attend the Liturgy with an open heart. Unclutter your mind and let it soak in. Don't stress about theology or differences in doctrine. That understanding with the historic underpinnings of the faith will come with time. This is the same advice a wise priest gave when I first started attending. In my western christian mindset, I initially tried to break things down in a very formulaic way with my initial struggles. You will begin to slowly experience the 'Orthodox way.' Unlike the shallowness of Protestantism, Orthodoxy is like a treasure chest that you will never reach the bottom of. A book I highly recommend is called The Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos M Markides. It gets to the heart of Eastern Orthodox spirituality. Anything written by Alexander Schmemann as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully be able to attend a holiday service here soon.

buja

Woodpecker
Kid Twist said:
Tony_Flame said:
That's generally what you get from people who say things like "The King James Bible is the inerrant word of God".

He states such things but then says other people don't make sense? It's just weird. Within the first 2 minutes of that sermon he had already contradicted himself. "The Orthodox Church states that works are the way to be saved". Then he lists a few seconds later what he reads off of some document that puts (among other things) #1. Faith.
James 2:14-26 King James Version (KJV)
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The Evangelicals go into verbal gymnastics trying to explain this one away.

These Evangelicals declare themselves "SAVED" and everyone else is condemned to hell...even people who actually do what the Bible says, people who are actually doers of the word (James 1:22)

Tell me Evangelicals...where in the Bible does it say you can just declare yourself "SAVED"?