Other Orthodox Lounge Thread

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Enjoy (but not judge to much, you, the chief of all sinners!) this article from Katyusha News (autotranslated from Russian). I checked the original and the wording is really that harsh neutral and objective :squintlol:

nagareboshi

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Found out that:
1) latin catholic kids are coming to our church coffee hour before there's no children's fellowship (or children at all) in their church.
2) American orthodox kids started to learn Russian because they thought it's cool and the other kids (immigrant Russians) are fluent.

Orthodox kids are going to help turn this country around.

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I don't know what to say about this one. Wait for it...

I assume she took some sort of drugs. The line between "hallucinogenic" and "demonic" is nonexistent. Taking hallucinogens is inviting demons into yourself and telling God you don't care with whatever happens. Hopefully these people see themselves in the mirror so to speak and repent.

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I love when my priest chants "for the remission sins" because he sings it in Greek and the way intones that "hamartio" gets me so happy everytime
Hymns to the Theotokos always sound best in Greek in my opinion. I like having an English liturgy, but that's one of the main things I miss from the Greek liturgy.
"Ταῖς πρεσβείαις τῆς Θεοτόκου, Σῶτερ, σῶσον ἡμᾶς. - Through the intercessions of the Theotokos, Savior, save us"

Diadem

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I assume she took some sort of drugs. The line between "hallucinogenic" and "demonic" is nonexistent. Taking hallucinogens is inviting demons into yourself and telling God you don't care with whatever happens. Hopefully these people see themselves in the mirror so to speak and repent.
Seeing this was unsettling; instead of hallucinogens I wonder if she isn't de facto possessed by a demon.

DRIIIVER

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Our first house blessing is this week. I have no idea what to expect or what is expected of me. Our Priest is driving about 45min each way to get here so I want to offer gas money for his travels and then my wife is providing food, a light lunch, but is there anything else I’m missing?

Perhaps not necessarily an “expectation” but I don’t want to spoil his visit, we are very humbled to have him offer to bless our home in the first place.

Any experience or insight is welcome!

Worst User

Pigeon
Orthodox
Our first house blessing is this week. I have no idea what to expect or what is expected of me. Our Priest is driving about 45min each way to get here so I want to offer gas money for his travels and then my wife is providing food, a light lunch, but is there anything else I’m missing?

Perhaps not necessarily an “expectation” but I don’t want to spoil his visit, we are very humbled to have him offer to bless our home in the first place.

Have some basil leaves on hand. Be hospitable and he'll take it from there.

thatWay

Sparrow
Orthodox
I really enjoyed this stream:

It touches on a lot of interesting topics like: did the nations before Christ know about God, dinosaurs and hard to accept saint lives and church traditions.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
When I grew up there was a stark emphasis on having fun. In fact, I grew up in a family where let's say the masculine presence wasn't there and all was feminine, focused on emotions, feeling good, you're good as you are, conflict avoidance, doing everything for you, being happy, doing what you want and above all having fun. Now as I crashed in my 20s I came to realize that fun is a buzzword pushed by society to keep you in constant emotion, out of your rational mind, doing things that hurt you and are at the detriment to you. Hence I came to ask myself: is fun Satanic in itself? And isn't peace the Godly equivalent? No one in history would've ever had this idea of fun getting stamped in their head from the day they were born like we have today, in fact I'd argue that it would've been looked down upon tremendously as a not respectable way of viewing life. Peace, contentment, acceptance, appreciation, satisfaction would've been words of yesteryear, but not fun. What are your guys take on it? Is fun something that has benefit and value pursuing at all, or is it an idea that is to be discarded completely for the features I've mentioned when pursuing the spiritual life?

Peas

Pigeon
Other Christian
I think a key distinction here is between fun and joy. Since coming to Christ, I don’t think I have any fun any more. I am sometimes tempted to feel sorry for and/or appease friends and family who are now afflicted by my new boring/strict self (as many of them must see it), and just ‘be fun’. But you just can’t really make it happen when you see that fun is from Satan.

“...joy is a feeling of good pleasure and happiness that is dependent on who Jesus is rather than on who we are or what is happening around us.”

The fun stops. Jesus Christ never will.

(quote)

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox

I recently had my first ever house blessing as well. My priest needed a lit candle, an icon, and some holy water. It was very nice to have our busy priest stay and talk with us for a while, and he was also able to say the prayers for a newborn as our son was just a few days old.

I think a key distinction here is between fun and joy. Since coming to Christ, I don’t think I have any fun any more. I am sometimes tempted to feel sorry for and/or appease friends and family who are now afflicted by my new boring/strict self (as many of them must see it), and just ‘be fun’. But you just can’t really make it happen when you see that fun is from Satan.

“...joy is a feeling of good pleasure and happiness that is dependent on who Jesus is rather than on who we are or what is happening around us.”

The fun stops. Jesus Christ never will.

(quote)
Agreed, "fun" really does stop, but I've never been happier and the world has never been more against me. I don't do "fun" things anymore. The closest thing to fun I have now is learning how to play chess, but I very frequently feel joy, such as singing in the church choir, which I strongly recommend to everyone, or when I take care of my family. Providing for a wife and newborn is a type of joy I never could have imagined, it's also much more difficult to take care of a newborn than I anticipated. Never heard a saint imply joy comes with comfort though.

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
I recently had my first ever house blessing as well. My priest needed a lit candle, an icon, and some holy water. It was very nice to have our busy priest stay and talk with us for a while, and he was also able to say the prayers for a newborn as our son was just a few days old.

Agreed, "fun" really does stop, but I've never been happier and the world has never been more against me. I don't do "fun" things anymore. The closest thing to fun I have now is learning how to play chess, but I very frequently feel joy, such as singing in the church choir, which I strongly recommend to everyone, or when I take care of my family. Providing for a wife and newborn is a type of joy I never could have imagined, it's also much more difficult to take care of a newborn than I anticipated. Never heard a saint imply joy comes with comfort though.
Congratulations on your boy. Mine just turned 1.

Brother, I want 20 more.