Other Orthodox Lounge Thread

nagareboshi

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Brothers and sisters, I am struggling with workplace issues, the betrayal of an old friend and backdoor political actions in my team which affect my day-to-day work. I know that it's temporal and related to human affairs, but it is so hard to disentangle one's own ego, especially when work is part of the identity of the modern man. Your prayers and advice is greatly appreciated.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Brothers and sisters, I am struggling with workplace issues, the betrayal of an old friend and backdoor political actions in my team which affect my day-to-day work. I know that it's temporal and related to human affairs, but it is so hard to disentangle one's own ego, especially when work is part of the identity of the modern man. Your prayers and advice is greatly appreciated.
That sucks, man. I hate workplace politics and have been dealing with a lot of that stuff. I have no advice except doing your best to pray for them, just wanted to say I get it and that we should try our best to engage with suffering and persecution in as Christlike a manner as possible.

Yeagerist

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I feel you bro. Saturday night a friend confided to me that he's considering becoming Roman Catholic after months of attending a WR parish, and he cites the disillusionment from both Orthodox and Catholic people on the Internet. I told him that I respect his decision but deep inside I was betrayed and disappointed. And on top of that I'm getting stressed and anxious from the results of the elections in my country, as well as social anxiety and even paranoia in this month so far. This is actually the most stressed out I've become so far this year.

I feel like I'm all alone in my journey to Orthodoxy, and I keep losing my Orthobro friends to Papism and open themselves to all this coping.

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Great lecture by Fr Peter Heers, revealing the demonic worship involved in Yoga practice:

He links this video which is shorter and easy to share with friends - a typecast westerner who discovered eastern religion, became a 'guru' then later a buddhist monk, reached nirvana and saw physical demons, claims to have received powers from the demons, but later came to Christ and to Orthodoxy:

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
One of the most common promises that Christianity gives us is the concept of eternal life. There may be questions, such as when do we get eternal life, does it mean physical immortality on Earth itself, and have you known a single person who has eternal life? I do not know, such people may indeed exist, but I have not known a single eternal person. It seems to me that even the saints had died, and their bodies are proof of this. Does this imply that there are no true Christians on the planet? The logic follows that those who have been granted eternal life, would be walking among us in the flesh, even for hundreds of years, because they were holy people.

I'm surprised that it hadn't occurred to me to ask this question earlier. I simply had not questioned the doctrine of eternal life before. It seems obvious that there are no well known people who have eternal life. Maybe there do exist immortals upon the Earth, but in such small numbers, that they are relatively unknown to the general public, which also implies that this is something unattainable for the average person.

This seems like a real paradox for me. So can we common people count on eternal life? Is it something that we should strive towards at all?

rodion

Sparrow
Orthodox
I feel you bro. Saturday night a friend confided to me that he's considering becoming Roman Catholic after months of attending a WR parish, and he cites the disillusionment from both Orthodox and Catholic people on the Internet. I told him that I respect his decision but deep inside I was betrayed and disappointed. And on top of that I'm getting stressed and anxious from the results of the elections in my country, as well as social anxiety and even paranoia in this month so far. This is actually the most stressed out I've become so far this year.

I feel like I'm all alone in my journey to Orthodoxy, and I keep losing my Orthobro friends to Papism and open themselves to all this coping.

Two of my friends were recently “baptised” catholic. It’s difficult because I feel extremely strongly that Orthodoxy is the missing piece of the puzzle in the west and the true church.

Both of them are very gracious and fully believe that salvation can also be found in the Orthodox Church etc etc and that ecumenist attitude of many catholics immediately puts you on the back foot as a big meanie orthobro. I just leave it alone and pray.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Two of my friends were recently “baptised” catholic. It’s difficult because I feel extremely strongly that Orthodoxy is the missing piece of the puzzle in the west and the true church.

Both of them are very gracious and fully believe that salvation can also be found in the Orthodox Church etc etc and that ecumenist attitude of many catholics immediately puts you on the back foot as a big meanie orthobro. I just leave it alone and pray.
No point in engaging. Just drive on.

Kev

Pigeon
Orthodox

Christ is Risen!! My experience as a catechumen was to have more and more difficulties and temptations as I approached the day of my baptism, and it didn't get easier afterwards either! The evil one wants nothing more than to tear us away from the true faith. I pray that you have good friends and a good priest to talk to about your journey OFTEN, they can help you face the challenges!

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox

We are all alone ultimately before God, but we have His help and the saints.

If you attend enough services and fellowship, surely you will make some good Orthodox friends in time. It is sad to lose friends, but sometimes it is meant to be and all we can do for them is pray. I try to keep the good friends who aren't Orthodox, but definitely I've lost many of them in the process. Almost all of my friends in fact, but I don't mind since I've made several really good friends in the true Church and "filtered out" the friendships that were not good for me.

William Faulkner

Woodpecker
Orthodox
These times are bringing an end to many marriages, friendships, and families. I have accepted the fact that these times that we are living through are truly separating people.

fiasco360

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I'm finding myself getting increasingly angrier at people for constantly falling for hoax after hoax. I legitimately cannot stand a vast majority of people at this point.

This is leading me to become more and more removed from this world.

I keep forgetting that this world is fallen and that a vast majority of people are under the media's influence. This satanic lullaby has people wrapped up in an evil spell.

Praying for some temperance, tolerance and ultimately divine justice.

fiasco360

Kingfisher
Orthodox
With the above being said - my girlfriend told me that today at her job there was a group of people who stood together and prayed. She said her eyes were tearing up at the end of it all when she saw multiple people cross themselves. I don't want to divulge too much but you would be shocked at the industry.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I'm finding myself getting increasingly angrier at people for constantly falling for hoax after hoax. I legitimately cannot stand a vast majority of people at this point.

This is leading me to become more and more removed from this world.

I keep forgetting that this world is fallen and that a vast majority of people are under the media's influence. This satanic lullaby has people wrapped up in an evil spell.

Praying for some temperance, tolerance and ultimately divine justice.
Do you read the Psalms?

iop890

Peacock
Orthodox
Gold Member
I suggest praying the Psalms every day. You can also pray the 'Small Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos', AKA the Paraklesis, in times of trouble/temptation. That's something I don't do nearly enough.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I haven't as of late. After your reply I did and was struck by Psalm 38.
Yes because the Psalms specifically address this problem. You can start with reading one Psalm each prayer session and then slowly work your way up to an entire Kathisma (with your priest's blessing). This is one of the better Psalters:
Amazon product