Other Orthodox Lounge Thread

iop890

Peacock
Orthodox
Gold Member
Considering making an 'Icons General' thread but not sure there's enough traffic to warrant it. So for now I'll just post here. Check out this new handwritten icon of my patron Saint Gabriel of Georgia I picked up yesterday.

IMG_20220612_234516335.jpg

The amount of detail the iconographer put into the small icon he's holding is amazing.

IMG_20220612_155908742_1.jpg

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I know a lot of members have been interested in which parts of the US would provide them for good options for worshiping with a local Orthodox church. I ran across this link showing the counties in the US with the higher percentage of Orthodox, along with the absolute numbers. Some of these counties have very low populations, so even if they have a high percentage of orthodox, it may amount to only dozens of people. However, there are some places with 1000s of orthodox in a given county. This list shows where they are. You can click at the top of the columns, to sort for percentage or absolute number of adherents.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I have a prayer rope from this store (made by an Orthodox man in Arizona). Quality is good:

rouchno1fan

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
I have a prayer rope from this store (made by an Orthodox man in Arizona). Quality is good:

Ouch - they're expensive. Are they good value?

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
One of the best articles I've ever read bringing what's up in society right now together with the spiritual, with thanks to @Mrredsquare for sharing. People have never been so easy to be manipulated, due to their nihilism and complete leaning on secular ''experts'' who are steered by the regime. In bold is a deep statement that reflects society 100% when you think about it. The article shows the clarity of what we have to choose: Truth or lies, God or secular-humanism (Satan). It's one or the other, there's no middle way. ''Going along with the times'' will suck you into the lies and secular-humanism.

I'll share some highlights, but recommend reading the article in its entirety:

A man who is blind in relation to one thing (to God) is totally blind in relation to all things; and a man who sees in the one (in God), has vision of all things,” St Symeon the New Theologian.1

The devil understands completely the veracity of the Lord Jesus’ words, “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free” (Jn 8:32). One might say the enemy’s counter-statement is, “keep people in constant untruth so that they will be slaves.”

..states that godless secular-humanism in Romania (in the form of Communism) sought to make its victims, “habitually and almost automatically subordinate truth to the most monstrous and absurd falsehoods” (pg. 100).

Secular-humanism is an abnormal condition and mode of existence that,
as the past century shows, adversely affects the proper structure and function of humanity and society. Secular-humanism is a disease; Christ Jesus is the cure. And so they seek to eradicate the cure. For lies cannot abide the truth, nor can darkness coexist with light. If you desire people to perish in a disease you must stomp out the true cure. Even better, infect people with a disease and then offer a purported cure that will eventually kill them. Either way – a scarcity of the true cure or promotion of a false cure – the goal is advanced, keep people sick and dying in the cesspool of spiritual depravity which is secular-humanism.

This is why true Christianity always becomes public enemy number one. This indicates how much they fear the truth, and in some back-handed way confirms they know that true Christianity is Truth.

Secular-humanism has created nothing of value and beauty, rather like a parasite it only exists by sucking the life force out of whatever host it latches on to.
It can only destroy and deplete actual cultures and societies, and when it is done with its life-destroying deeds it leaves a barren wasteland. And it then sets about forcefully propagandizing that this wasteland is the best of all possible existences.

Secular-humanism
is established through the overthrow of traditional Christianity. It understands that it is striving to establish an anti-Christian world.

And so, today we continue to witness this spiritual Bolshevism aggressively at work. You must obey, we have spoken. If you don’t you’re evil. You must accept the narrative in total, not based on truth but on the fact that the powers that be have spoken, and their word is all there is. You cannot dissent on even a minor issue; you may not resist any aspect of the narrative. If you do you are “attacking the principles of democracy” (the lingo changes in certain aspects according to the current need and environment).

This was also manifest in the spirit of covidism, which is still lurking in the corners. The tyranny of obedience to a narrative was on full display. Obedience can be a beautiful thing, but undiscerning obedience to an untruth is an awful thing. It is even more terrible when some in the Christian sphere actively subject Truth to the standards of obedience to the new narrative of untruth. Many of those who even questioned the new teachings expressed in covidism were subsequently punished and excluded. It became heretical not to obey. The new narrative implemented new standards by which people must approach the divine – masks, social distancing, and vaccines. In some places even faithful devotees were still not found worthy to approach, they were offered only the digital wonder of observing via a technological screen. Sadly, these new narrative standards were enforced in many a place claiming to be Christian. No compliance – No Jesus for you.

Christianity becomes not Christianity, for it trades the Heart of Christ for the heart of the world.

The storm of secular-humanism will rage on. Its winds and foul rains will beat relentlessly against the house of our being. If we dig deep into the Rock of our Salvation and there lay our foundation, He will keep and protect us for Himself in the merciless storm. And even in it we will be enabled to abide in peace. For whosoever is in Christ Jesus abides in Peace. And this peace will act as a cure for our much-broken world.

Last edited:

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
This morning I saw a tiny woodlouse laying on it's back wriggling it's tiny legs to try to right itself. I figured I'd lose nothing by helping the little fella so I picked up a twig and flicked him over. He instantly curled up in a ball and ended up back where he started, helpless on his back. I tried again and this time I was successful. Without thanking me he made his way to a little corner by the wall. Immediately a spider came out, and attacked him and dragged him off mercilessly into his lair.

Sometimes we try our best to intervene, to save a situation, but God is sovereign. Maybe we do right the situation temporarily through our will, but if it is contrary to the Lord's will, He will prevail.

It's amazing how the Lord teaches us through so many means. Glory to God

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Even Andrew Tate aka Morpheus aka storming the internet now in the ''red pill'' sphere comes out as Orthodox Christian...

I think his line of argument is good for opening atheists to believing in God. It was what got me to be more open to it.

However God is not just an idea, God existed before anyone had the idea of God. Ideas can be true or false irrespective of their ethical impact, a false idea can lead to good. For instance many Buddhists believe in reincarnation and karma, which compels them to act in morally good ways. That doesn't mean its true, just because its an idea that a lot of people have. God is Truth. Even if everyone in the world was an atheist and every notion of God was abandoned and forgotten, God would still exist. He cannot be destroyed simply by man forgetting Him, if that was the case He wouldn't be God.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
I think his line of argument is good for opening atheists to believing in God. It was what got me to be more open to it.

However God is not just an idea, God existed before anyone had the idea of God. Ideas can be true or false irrespective of their ethical impact, a false idea can lead to good. For instance many Buddhists believe in reincarnation and karma, which compels them to act in morally good ways. That doesn't mean its true, just because its an idea that a lot of people have. God is Truth. Even if everyone in the world was an atheist and every notion of God was abandoned and forgotten, God would still exist. He cannot be destroyed simply by man forgetting Him, if that was the case He wouldn't be God.
Sure, I agree. We have to keep in mind though that people go through stages. It's a mistake to think that one can switch from A to Z in a heartbeat. What usually happens for the atheist is that through suffering he starts to understandg evil, that opens up the possibility of God, therefore he starts to do research, maybe pray to God, maybe join a Church, and so it spirals. The fact that this guy who lives a mafia boss kind of materialistic lifestyle, but propagates a lot of truth about now religion and traditional values and the NWO and stuff like that, comes out at this exact time to pursue the path of Orthodoxy as well, is a strange reminder to me how people from all walks of lives and all kinds of backgrounds pursuing truth end up with Christ as the only option to fulfil that thirst, and that within the parameters of Orthodoxy.

His line of reasoning now is more an intellectual one as of the moment, which you need as atheist as you're trapped in your mind, and he explains it very well, there's certainly a degree of truth in the reasoning that God becomes ''real'' if only as an idea if enough people pursue that. I think this lands a bit with atheists, like the argument that nothing can't start to exist from nothing like the big bang, but everything is created by something, whether that's your couch, your bread, your house, your car, a pot of sugar, if all is made, how couldn't the world and humans be made also and IF there's something that is making, that means there's a creator creating that. But eventually this will remain a superficial layer of reasoning but it can get people's feet in the door: bottom line is that to really have a breakthrough suffering is the only way out, so that your old worldview can entirely collapse and as Tyler Durden said in Fight Club, it's not after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Even Andrew Tate aka Morpheus aka storming the internet now in the ''red pill'' sphere comes out as Orthodox Christian...

I don't think Tate is a serious Christian. Quite the opposite. I think he says 'I'm a man of God' for attention because he knows that in these fallen times merely saying that is oddly controversial.

The man is a hedonist who spends his time drinking, smoking, fornicating and obsessing over material things and money.

IM3000

Pelican

I don't know this guy but watched the video anyway. Sorry, but a man who claims to be ripped because he convinces his mind that he is training in his sleep is one of dumbest things I have heard in a long time. He is clearly a liar and hence I cannot take his beliefs seriously.
Also, he claims to go to 5000 year-old churches in Romania. Cool story bro.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Andrew Tate is a social media star. He is big on Tik Tok and Youtube for his outspoken wild personality.

It's great that he drops red pill truth but to look up to a man who makes his money in corrupt ways and calls himself a man of God while spending his free time intoxicated on pods bragging about his fornication is wrong minded in my view.

There are simply better people to look up to. It really says a lot about our times that this is the one of the best we have in terms of male role models.

It's probably better to be focused on the life and views of this man than say, the Kardashians. Yet he's in the same industry whether he likes it or not.

Turner

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
I know a lot of members have been interested in which parts of the US would provide them for good options for worshiping with a local Orthodox church. I ran across this link showing the counties in the US with the higher percentage of Orthodox, along with the absolute numbers. Some of these counties have very low populations, so even if they have a high percentage of orthodox, it may amount to only dozens of people. However, there are some places with 1000s of orthodox in a given county. This list shows where they are. You can click at the top of the columns, to sort for percentage or absolute number of adherents.

Wow. My county has the second highest total in the country (not percentage but number wise).

I only knew of two very small congregations near me. Had no idea there were that many. I will explore a lot of these options over the next few months and find the right church for me.

OrthoSerb

Robin
Orthodox

He happens to live in Romania and goes to an Orthodox church twice a week (or at least he was at one point) but I don't believe he's Orthodox in any sense of the word. He's not stated that he's been baptised and nothing about his mindset or lifestyle indicates that he's submitting to the teachings of the Church. From what little I've seen of him, he's one of these red-pilled people from the manosphere that can see some of the problems with society but thinks the goal of life is to be the most successful male and to conquer (he doesn't yet realise he has to conquer his own passions). Half his comments about religion (some of them delivered topless whilst being massaged by a woman) imply that he evaluates it from a utilitarian perspective i.e. things would be better if we behaved as if God existed and x religion is more manly / solves more problems for males / restrains the disease of liberalism etc. I mean I suppose its better than his previous categorical atheism but its still spiritual poverty. He still seems to be living a lifestyle influenced by the same matrix he purports to oppose (obssessed with making money, driving fancy cars) and jokes about how he's guaranteed to get into heaven.

Last edited: