Orthodox Noob Questions

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
The most famous Eucharistic miracle of this sort is the one that occurred in Lanciano, Italy around 750 AD, whose relics are preserved there to this day. In modern times, the relics have permitted to be examined scientifically and were found to be authentic human myocardium tissue, and the blood to be authentic human blood, and that both belong to the same blood type AB — the same blood type as that of the man of the Shroud of Turn and the type most characteristic of Middle Eastern populations. Since this miracle occured in the 8th century, well before the schism, and the Byzantines were in Italy until the 8th and 9th centuries, the Eastern Orthodox church would presumably lay claim to this miracle as well. Curious, I looked it up and ran across this:

From the Russian Sluzhebnik (Priest's Service Book):

The instruction goes on to say that if the Body assumes another appearance then the priest must make another Lamb as he did at Proskomedia. He then resumes the Liturgy with the prayer "With these blessed hosts..." which is the prayer said at the Anaphora while the choir sings, "Holy, holy, holy..." If the Blood changes appearance, then he must pour new wine into the chalice. The purpose of this is so the faithful may still receive the Body & Blood of Christ at the Liturgy.

Because in the Eucharist it does not come to us in its natural mode. If it were the case and looked, tasted, felt, and smelled of flesh and blood then it would be in its natural mode and it would be cannibalism. However, in the Eucharist we recieve substance of the Body and Blood of Christ in supernatural and sacramental mode, under the appearances of bread and wine. Because of the Eucharist's supernatural character, it is no longer cannibalism but a union with God made flesh. In the few examples where the Eucharist not only becomes Christ but also takes on the physical characteristics of flesh and blood, one would not receive communion. Such is not to be consumed but is nonetheless a miracle to cast out doubt.
Cite your sources and use quotes. You have plagiarized this website: https://www.stpeterinstitute.com/post/the-eucharistic-miracle-of-lanciano-italy as well as another forum member, word for word: http://forums.orthodoxchristianity....ic-miracle-of-orthodox-west.18899/post-278530

Got a link to this ?

Last edited:

Brother Michael

Banned
Orthodox
Cite your sources and use quotes. You have plagiarized this website: https://www.stpeterinstitute.com/post/the-eucharistic-miracle-of-lanciano-italy as well as another forum member, word for word: http://forums.orthodoxchristianity....ic-miracle-of-orthodox-west.18899/post-278530
Your fatal flaw is using Catholic and speculative sources and thinking they represent Orthodox positions. Catholic sources are terminally biased. I state this as a former RC Lay Apologist for the Rockford IL Diocese. I've been Orthodox almost 20yrs.

Catholics coming to Orthodoxy "think" they understand more than they do. Orthodoxy is very different from Roman Catholicism. "Come and see."

A Serbian Orthodox monk addressed what you cite.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Your fatal flaw is using Catholic and speculative sources and thinking they represent Orthodox positions. Catholic sources are terminally biased. I state this as a former RC Lay Apologist for the Rockford IL Diocese. I've been Orthodox almost 20yrs.

Catholics coming to Orthodoxy "think" they understand more than they do. Orthodoxy is very different from Roman Catholicism. "Come and see."

A Serbian Orthodox monk addressed what you cite.

Did you quote the wrong person here? I didn't make any sort of commentary on the validity of those links or "think they represent Orthodox positions," I was just pointing out someone who plagiarized from them.

Brother Michael

Banned
Orthodox
Did you quote the wrong person here? I didn't make any sort of commentary on the validity of those links or "think they represent Orthodox positions," I was just pointing out someone who plagiarized from them.
Forgive me. I'm new to the platform, and learning to navigate it. My intended reply was to the plagerizing party.

I was wondering why it called out plagerism. That was you. Cool.

ivalyosha

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
I’ve been going to an MP parish for nearly a year now and have had a few long conversations with the priest. The other day I told him I want to become a catechumen and he said since I’ve been studying hard on my own and coming every Sunday, he would baptize me whenever I say I’m ready without necessarily officially becoming a catechumen. Is this typical or not?

I’ve never heard of it being done this way so I’m slightly concerned he’s rushing me through cause he doesn’t have the time. The first time we met he said being a catechumen would involve meeting him fairly regularly for months to discuss various topics and my reading of the Gospels.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
I’ve been going to an MP parish for nearly a year now and have had a few long conversations with the priest. The other day I told him I want to become a catechumen and he said since I’ve been studying hard on my own and coming every Sunday, he would baptize me whenever I say I’m ready without necessarily officially becoming a catechumen. Is this typical or not?

I’ve never heard of it being done this way so I’m slightly concerned he’s rushing me through cause he doesn’t have the time. The first time we met he said being a catechumen would involve meeting him fairly regularly for months to discuss various topics and my reading of the Gospels.
When you say MP, does that mean you're in a territory that might see conscription and war soon if not already? If that's the case, that is probably why the priest seems so urgent, and I would listen to him.

As to if that is typical, these are not typical times.

ivalyosha

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
When you say MP, does that mean you're in a territory that might see conscription and war soon if not already? If that's the case, that is probably why the priest seems so urgent, and I would listen to him.

As to if that is typical, these are not typical times.
It’s an MP parish in a NATO country far away from the war. I don’t think anyone will be going to fight from here anytime soon. The priest is a local convert from this country actually. He avoids talking about the war since our parish is mostly a mix of Slavic nationalities. Too controversial.

Gordon

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
Today after Liturgy the Priest mentioned an upcoming event which he hopes the parish to attend. He added someone will be present to administer free vaccines if anyone wants one, just let him know beforehand so he can give them a headcount. I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to the subject, or maybe a bit radicalized, but I was highly disappointed to hear that. I lost my job of 8 years last October because of my stance. I have trouble trusting someone who is the leader of a flock, basically endorsing this BS, still. It wasn't a direct endorsement to get it, but just announcing it like he did felt off to me. Is it simply a directive he's following from higher ups? or dare I suggest, from the State?

Am I wrong and overreacting? I already wonder all the time if I'm the crazy one for my strong views. I have some family members who developed serious problems after getting it and others who appear fine as of now.

I also know of many Orthodox who have spoken out against it so my view of the Church and Her validity remains unchanged.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I don't think you're overreacting. If this was eighteen months ago then I'd handwave it, but at this point, anyone still pressuring people to get the coof juice has a clear agenda, because anyone who hasn't gotten it by now is clearly opposed to it and it's plain as day the juice has negative effects and is basically useless at preventing covid.

Maybe your priest doesn't have an agenda and is just being pressured by some external source to promote this, but your wariness is justified.

Gordon

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
Today after Liturgy the Priest mentioned an upcoming event which he hopes the parish to attend. He added someone will be present to administer free vaccines if anyone wants one, just let him know beforehand so he can give them a headcount. I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to the subject, or maybe a bit radicalized, but I was highly disappointed to hear that. I lost my job of 8 years last October because of my stance. I have trouble trusting someone who is the leader of a flock, basically endorsing this BS, still. It wasn't a direct endorsement to get it, but just announcing it like he did felt off to me. Is it simply a directive he's following from higher ups? or dare I suggest, from the State?

Am I wrong and overreacting? I already wonder all the time if I'm the crazy one for my strong views. I have some family members who developed serious problems after getting it and others who appear fine as of now.

I also know of many Orthodox who have spoken out against it so my view of the Church and Her validity remains unchanged.
Just watched a replay of the livestream from today. I'm amazed by how much more I can understand what's being said and what the choir is singing over youtube opposed to being there. It's night and day....

The priest said they're hosting a vaccination clinic in the parish hall after a future liturgy. Flu, covid, new boosters, shingles.... Likely a yearly thing they do but I'm still really bothered by it. Having listened to him again I don't feel he's pressuring anyone, even though I'm nearly certain he's jabbed himself. I'm just extremely opposed to it and highly skeptical of all of them now. I don't want it to be this way, please pray for me.

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
The priest said they're hosting a vaccination clinic in the parish hall after a future liturgy. Flu, covid, new boosters, shingles.... Likely a yearly thing they do but I'm still really bothered by it. Having listened to him again I don't feel he's pressuring anyone, even though I'm nearly certain he's jabbed himself. I'm just extremely opposed to it and highly skeptical of all of them now. I don't want it to be this way, please pray for me.

With regards to this dilemma you find yourself in, I think you'll find some comfort in the words of Priestmonk Kosmas:

Book off five hours on a day that's suitable and strap yourself in. I just got done last night listening to this nearly 5 hour epic lecture, where he lays out the whole thing. There's also some resources on his website which he strongly recommends people take the time to read, and serves as source material for the talk -- you might want to show these to your priest and observe his reaction:

He is the only priest or Orthodox speaker, as far as I'm aware, that is actually referring to this coof agenda as a heresy, with the name "Covidism", akin to "Ecumenism", which he also discusses. This is only Part One, so thankfully there's more to come. I might listen to it again as it had so much detail and concentrating for nearly five hours proved difficult, I was more irritable than usual.

Recently I was speaking to one of my friends who was struggling to attend their first liturgy and seems to be making excuses about attending one. We spoke a few months ago and since then, she still hasn't made the visit. I said flippantly, with all good intent: "I would attend any Orthodox liturgy, even if you have to wear a mask, I'd just go to see what it's like, experience the Orthodox liturgy, then you can be more selective about where you want to go", well after listening to this talk I may apologise for being so flippant, as I now understand that masks are a direct affront to worshiping God and akin to practicing a heresy. I would never have done this originally, but I thought it's better to attend any liturgy, even with a mask, than no liturgy at all. I will re-consider this perspective in light of this talk.

Personally, I don't think I would sit well with such a church community if stab-jabs were being promoted so freely, however I understand you may have limiting circumstances. No easy decisions these days, but i would listen to this talk and then think about what the next steps should be.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox

If you have another church available go there. I do not see why it is a priests job to facilitate the vaccination of his flock. You are completely justified to feel this is wrong, it is. Does your priest also give you advice on what to do about other health ailments and offer treatment? It's not his place to administer vaccines. Priests should at the very least be impartial on this matter.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Yeah most of it is available online and in stores.
So buy it! If you don't have the money then you can't afford it. One possible exemption is that you wanted to see a sample of it, and if you liked the sample, you went and bought it.

That said, I've pirated tons of movies, music, and software in the past, but I don't see a justification for that now unless it's a book that is out of print.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
No I’m not stealing
How is it not stealing you're taking something from someone for free?

You may not have pirated it, but you still are participating in the continuance of it's theft.

It's like saying, it is ok to knowingly receive stolen goods because I didn't break into the store and steal the goods....yeah i know this was obtained illegally but i didn't rip them off so it's ok.

JohnTron75

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
So buy it! If you don't have the money then you can't afford it. One possible exemption is that you wanted to see a sample of it, and if you liked the sample, you went and bought it.

That said, I've pirated tons of movies, music, and software in the past, but I don't see a justification for that now unless it's a book that is out of print.
Fair enough