News Orthodox response to Coronavirus / Great Reset

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Please someone tell me this isn’t true.

According to the report, the Russian Church says those who remain unvaccinated are committing a sin:

Caramasão

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer

According to the report, the Russian Church says those who remain unvaccinated are committing a sin:

From the Byzantium News Agency telegram:

"This Disclose.TV post is very misleading, the Russian Orthodox Church has NOT made vaccines mandatory, this is simply the personal view of Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), who is the incumbent chairman of the ROC's Department for External Church Relations (a branch of the Patriarchate that deals with dialogue and relations with non-Orthodox faiths). These comments were made while Met. Hilarion was speaking in an interview on Russian State Television about his own personal position.

Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Church, has in every circumstance voiced his opinion to the contrary; it was only a few days ago that he interceded in preventing the abbot of an important monastery (Valaam Monastery) from imposing mandatory vaccinations on its monks, as a quite prominent example. The Assembly of ROC Bishops hasn't voted on a common position either, deciding to take a strictly neutral stance.

I ask our followers to please comment on this Disclose TV post (below) and ask them to retract this misleading information, which gives a false and bad impression of the Orthodox Church. Please write your complaints with respect and do not assume their post was written in bad faith, it was most likely an unfortunate mistake."

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
From the Byzantium News Agency telegram:

"This Disclose.TV post is very misleading, the Russian Orthodox Church has NOT made vaccines mandatory, this is simply the personal view of Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), who is the incumbent chairman of the ROC's Department for External Church Relations (a branch of the Patriarchate that deals with dialogue and relations with non-Orthodox faiths). These comments were made while Met. Hilarion was speaking in an interview on Russian State Television about his own personal position.

Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Church, has in every circumstance voiced his opinion to the contrary; it was only a few days ago that he interceded in preventing the abbot of an important monastery (Valaam Monastery) from imposing mandatory vaccinations on its monks, as a quite prominent example. The Assembly of ROC Bishops hasn't voted on a common position either, deciding to take a strictly neutral stance.

I ask our followers to please comment on this Disclose TV post (below) and ask them to retract this misleading information, which gives a false and bad impression of the Orthodox Church. Please write your complaints with respect and do not assume their post was written in bad faith, it was most likely an unfortunate mistake."
Isn’t Met. Hilarion a spokesman for the ROC? This is reported by RT, which is usually reliable.

I hope you’re right though. It would break my heart otherwise.

At this current point in my life, I tend to think that putting faith in any human organisations will eventually lead to disappointment. It seems that the only thing one can confidently rely on is your personal, everyday, direct dialogue with God. And some common sense

fortyfive

Woodpecker
This is what the LORD says: “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. Jeremiah 17.

Do you see that? Every believer in a man and the world is predestined to live a cursed life. And people wonder why they are so unhappy and are trying to fix it with even more worldly systems and solutions.

While the key to be blessed is simple. Trust only to God.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Hopefully the Patriarch puts out a statement, clarifying the issue.
Patriarch Kirill prevented Valaam Monastery from requiring vaccines.

In any case pray for the Orthodox patriarchs.
Met. Hilarion studied at the University of Oxford, which has a woke theology department.
The Church needs to realize western secular institutions cannot be trusted, and any liberal arts credentials from such an institution should be seen as a stain on a resume.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Patriarch Kirill prevented Valaam Monastery from requiring vaccines.
Yes, and now the Church’s spokesman has taken a completely contrary view.

The Patriarch has two options at this point, given the widespread press coverage:

1. Clarify that Met. Hilarion’s statement was a personal opinion and not shared by the ROC. Also censure Hilarion.

2. Do nothing, giving tacit approval to Hilarion’s statement.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Keep in mind, Met. Hilarion had endorsed the blasphemus practice of multiple spoons and/or the use of alcohol and napkins to "cleanse" the lavida from the virus.
The Soviets tried, and failed to prove that disease can spread through the Eucharist.

An old study also found no link between communion and disease (studied Roman Catholic Churches in New Jersey)
But next she wanted to find out whether illnesses were caused by Communion. In 1997, she surveyed 681 people in New Jersey over a 10-week period and found no difference in illness rates among those who attended church and received Communion, those who attended church and didn’t receive Communion, and those who never attended church.

“This even held true for the participants who attended church and received the sacraments every single day during the 10 weeks,” she wrote.
Multiple spoons is "anti-science" and anti-Orthodoxy, and is even blasphemous like you say if they believe the Eucharist can transmit disease.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox

That's not what is said at all. Let's check the direct quotations, “They come and say, ‘How am I supposed to live with this now?’ And it’s hard for even me to say how to live with it,” “All your life, you have to make up for the sin you committed.” “The sin is thinking about yourself instead of thinking about other people,” the metropolitan said. “We are responsible – each of us – not only for ourselves and not only for our loved ones, but also for all those who come into contact with us.” “Of course, it is desirable to observe the principle of voluntariness in relation to vaccinations – the principle that was stated from the very beginning,” he explained. “But there is also the principle of people’s responsibility for the lives of other people.”

Oddly enough the author can't get a quote to support his headlines, the article rests on this.

"Speaking to TV channel Russia 24, the head of the Russia Orthodox Church’s Department for External Church Relations, Metropolitan Hilarion, explained that his parishioners regularly repent to him for not being vaccinated. They feel guilty because they passed the virus on to someone else who eventually died, he claimed."

This is just cut + paste to fit a narrative journalism. It's no different than the negative press Pope Francis gets which is often blown way out of proportion.

If you think I'm off, take a look at some articles within the past 2 weeks from "Jonny Tickle"'

Russian Orthodox Church does not support abortion in any scenario, even when pregnancy is caused by rape, reveals clergy spokesman

Russia's footballers performed badly at Euro 2020 because they use obscene language & are ‘spiritually weak,’ says Orthodox Church

Believe what you like, but I see those written as one who has an axe to grind.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Multiple spoons is "anti-science" and anti-Orthodoxy, and is even blasphemous like you say if they believe the Eucharist can transmit disease.

It is extremely blasphemous to believe that the Eucharist can transmit disease, which is why using multiple spoons during this 'pandemic' is evil.

However, the Eucharist was not always distributed with a spoon:

We used to commune by first taking the bread in our hands, and then dipping it in the wine.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
In the Western Rite the wafer is dipped in the wine and then placed directly in the communicant’s mouth. Not sure what if anything changed during the “pandemic.”

That's interesting, this must be the Antiochian Western Rite practice. I visited a WR parish (in ROCOR) this past weekend and they served communion exactly the same as the Byzantine style.

Edin

Robin
At this current point in my life, I tend to think that putting faith in any human organisations will eventually lead to disappointment. It seems that the only thing one can confidently rely on is your personal, everyday, direct dialogue with God. And some common sense

+1000

During the communist era all of the church leaders doubled as agents of the security agencies. Old habits die hard.

OrthoLeaf

Sparrow
Orthodox
I understand your frustration brother, but this is hubris. What you're really saying is you can do it all on your own. You don't need the Church, the Body of Christ, you don't need the Eucharist, the medicine of immorality, or confession for the forgiveness of sin. Human nature is sick, which is why we are witnessing what we are today. We all need the Church, which is the Hospital for our souls. The answer is to dig deeper into the faith, not abandon it. We need repentance, not apostasy.