Orthodox Survival Course

get2choppaaa

Pelican
I found this on Youtube/Bitchute, from lectures from Father Seraphim Rose’s and Father Herman Podmoshensky’s “Orthodox Survival Course" . I have heard some folks reference the material discussed in this course, but haven't found it here on the forum overtly.

I found Orthodoxy from a Protestant persuasion. Fr Josiah Trenham's book was a good introduction for me after finding a church. However, these lectures, while very heavy in intellectual substance, are fantastic to place from which we can view the world we are currently living in.

If this has already been posted, my apologies.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
I've found Seraphim Rose's work to be inspiring, just as that of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Just remember to always maintain an ascetic lifestyle and that it's never been safe to be a Christian; we're all going to experience the Cancer Ward.
My priest mentioned Father Seraphim Rose's work in our small class this week. Apparently there is growing call for his sanctification among those are Mount Athos.

OrthoLeaf

Pigeon
My priest mentioned Father Seraphim Rose's work in our small class this week. Apparently there is growing call for his sanctification among those are Mount Athos.
The only reason he hasn't already been, is because he was unapologetically patristic. This caused him to step on a lot of toes within the American Church hierarchies. The main insult here is that not only has the last 50 years proved Blessed Seraphim Rose 100% right (particularly the last year), but there has been clear indications from heaven that he has obtained favor from God. The sheer audacity of men who would deny him his just recognition, due to politics, is insulting.

Blessed Rose is one of our own. He's a westerner who converted later in life and obtained deification. Giving us converts hope, that it is possible. He is responsible for saving thousands of young western men and shining the light of Holy Orthodoxy in the spiritually darkened west. He is a prophet of God and an inspiration to the whole English speaking Orthodox world. It's a disgrace that he has yet to be glorified.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Pelican
The only reason he hasn't already been, is because he was unapologetically patristic. This caused him to step on a lot of toes within the American Church hierarchies. The main insult here is that not only has the last 50 years proved Blessed Seraphim Rose 100% right (particularly the last year), but there has been clear indications from heaven that he has obtained favor from God. The sheer audacity of men who would deny him his just recognition, due to politics, is insulting.

Blessed Rose is one of our own. He's a westerner who converted later in life and obtained deification. Giving us converts hope, that it is possible. He is responsible for saving thousands of young western men and shining the light of Holy Orthodoxy in the spiritually darkened west. He is a prophet of God and an inspiration to the whole English speaking Orthodox world. It's a disgrace that he has yet to be glorified.
My understanding is that the Church usually waits until all the people who knew that person are dead so that there will be none who can say "yes he's a saint... But did you also know about his proclivities to do xyz(insert their sinful act of choice)"